Xbox 360 vs Playstation 3 (ps3) as Home Media Center (in Media Playback (support))

altainta

Disciple
Hello,

I would like to know which one of the both is better for Media Player?

I already used XBOX black and still currently use it as a MP3 Player, DVD, player and DIVX, AVI PLAYER thorugh using XBOX Media Center (XBMC) which is awesome gadget i ever used in the field...

So here is my question... (if u are familiar with xbmc)

1) Is xbox 360 better or PS3 better (in case MEDIA CENTER ONLY!!!!)

2) Do they Provide XBMC 'TYPE' Home brew support ?

3) Do it Needed to be Chipped for the Functionality or is it officially available...

4) If there is problem with some version than state which kernel and system version specifically...

5) Option to Input the file to the player (like usb, pc stream, dvd, net etc etc)

6) Supported Formats including Audio video dvd - blu ray (i know only for sony).

7) which type of DVD +r -r RW..

Thank you it is very informative subject i tried to collect data my self but i guess most of user have the console and they might use it for media playback

Re: Xbox 360 vs Playstation 3 (ps3) as Home Media Center (in Media Playback (support)

Hello,
I would like to know which one of the both is better for Media Player?
I already used XBOX black and still currently use it as a MP3 Player, DVD, player and DIVX, AVI PLAYER thorugh using XBOX Media Center (XBMC) which is awesome gadget i ever used in the field...

So here is my question... (if u are familiar with xbmc)

1) Is xbox 360 better or PS3 better (in case MEDIA CENTER ONLY!!!!)
2) Do they Provide XBMC 'TYPE' Home brew support ?
3) Do it Needed to be Chipped for the Functionality or is it officially available...
4) If there is problem with some version than state which kernel and system version specifically...
5) Option to Input the file to the player (like usb, pc stream, dvd, net etc etc)
6) Supported Formats including Audio video dvd - blu ray (i know only for sony).
7) which type of DVD +r -r RW..
Thank you it is very informative subject i tried to collect data my self but i guess most of user have the console and they might use it for media playback

I'd vouch for the PS3 over the X360 in terms of media playing capabilities. XBMC for the X360 never saw the light of day and failed eventually - the last release from the official devs. being 9.04 'Babylon'. Considering the rest of the platforms, it was quite a success with the snappy user-configurable GUI, being officially available for a whole lot of OSs such as Windows, iOS, Linux and OS X, a growing list of community driven addon plugins etc.

1. PS3 - Refer this thread - http://www.techenclave.com/gaming-consoles/the-ps3-media-server-thread-158752.html
2. Home brew - no. You need not do anything to the console other than entering the network settings right. No home brew application has been released to support media playing capability.
3. No.
4. NA
5. Stream via LAN/wifi from a NAS/PC via router or direct.
6. AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MKV, MPEG, FLV, OGM, AVI etc. Can as well display RAW images among the usual JPEG, TIFF, PNG, GIF etc.
7. NA

The PMS has its shortcomings as well. Some of the videos may stutter although the console can do the realtime video transcoding. Not sure as to why since the hardware is definitely capable of the transcode. 720p and upwards cannot be streamed over wifi.

Refer these links -

ps3mediaserver - Project Hosting on Google Code

PS3 Media Server • Index page

Re: Xbox 360 vs Playstation 3 (ps3) as Home Media Center (in Media Playback (support)

ps3 will smoke the 360.

PS3MS.... BEST ONE EVER

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

altainta said:
1) Is xbox 360 better or PS3 better (in case MEDIA CENTER ONLY!!!!) - Ps3

2) Do they Provide XBMC 'TYPE' Home brew support ? - Well.. No. XBMC has more wide range compatibility IMO. hence the support. Only used XBMC on my old original XBOX. The UI is simply marvelous.

But Ps3MS, the UI is so simple. kinda ipod moment for me when i saw it first. I sold of my HD media players. and I never played a ps3 game on it for like 3 or 4 months.

3) Do it Needed to be Chipped for the Functionality or is it officially available... - Not at all

4) If there is problem with some version than state which kernel and system version specifically... - Just get the latest stable version

5) Option to Input the file to the player (like usb, pc stream, dvd, net etc etc) - You host the PS3MS in a PC. so its streaming whatever content from there.

6) Supported Formats including Audio video dvd - blu ray (i know only for sony) - Again, the above.

7) which type of DVD +r -r RW.. - Everything that ur PC can support
check the quote

Hey thank you to both of you for the generous reply...

Last question

Will it be able to play subtitle file ?

Also will PS3 play somemovie.AVI + somemovie.SRT (SUBTITLE FILE) directly from USB pendrive or USB HDD ? or is it only possible with pc ? I just want a Stand alone Mediaplayer.. There must not be any need for LAN WIFI ETC...

Is it possible ?

altainta said:
Hey thank you to both of you for the generous reply...

Last question

Will it be able to play subtitle file ?

Also will PS3 play somemovie.AVI + somemovie.SRT (SUBTITLE FILE) directly from USB pendrive or USB HDD ? or is it only possible with pc ? I just want a Stand alone Mediaplayer.. There must not be any need for LAN WIFI ETC...

Is it possible ?

This should help:

Ps3 srt subtitle, ps3 divx subtitle, playstation 3 divx subtitle

^^ Hey dude thx i guess this solves everything...

Thank you

Back