Graphic Cards XFX 7950GT Extreme Vs Sapphire 1900XT 512MB

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
I have got a very good price on the Sapphire 1900XT 512 MB from my dealer. :) The XFX 7900 GT Non OC version is not available in India (even the Extreme is available only in Mumbai ) and as many may know It uses passive heatpipe system for cooling.

The Sapphire 1900XT on the other hand is available in ready stock and costs 4k more. I have seen reviews of both cards and generally the 1900XT stays ahead. But the question is that whether its worth the 4k more. I am averse to the idea of purchasing a stock overclocked, that too passively cooled premium card and its making me lean towards the X1900XT.

Introduction of DX10 cards is not a consideration for me now as I intend to use whatever card I buy now as long as I can. Also I intend to wait for at least 4~6 DX10 cards form both ATi and nVidia to come into the market and the prices to stabilize, Initial problems to be ironed out before making a move for DX10. So I guess it will take a lot of time and I cannot remain without a good GPU till that time.

So what say guys, should I spend the extra premium and go for the 1900XT.

apollyon said:
without a doubt!

btw wat price did u get for the x1900xt?

XFX 7950GT Extreme for 21.3k Tax paid (This has to be sourced from Rashi, Mumbai. They too dont seem to have it in ready stock).

Damn, the XFX Distri guy in Delhi kept quoting for the 7900GTX and the 7950GX2 saying that 7950GT dosnt exist. after persistance by my dealer, he called up the mumbai distri and quoted the correct price. :rofl: )

btw the price for XFX 7950GX2 is 31.3k and he was calling even this GTX2.

Sapphire 1900XT 512 MB for 25k Tax Paid (Available in the shop)

GeCube 1900XT 512 MB for 24.2k Tax Paid (Has to be sourced from Delhi).

Think these prices are decent for a 1900XT 512MB :) . Right?

Definitely. Those are excellent prices. I think the 4k is worth it. Not just for the performance but also that the 7950GT has the passive cooling unit going against it. You know of my experience with passive cooling so my recommendation is the X1900XT. And this card rocks in oblivion!!!

From what I know,

Nvidia
Smaller card
Cooler card
Better drivers
Better AA, although you might not be able to use that
Cheaper
ATi
Better looking card
Faster
HDR + AA
Better AF, and you can use that
Keep in mind that to actually run your games fine with either of the 2 cards you need 2GB RAM. With 1GB you will end up playing many games at 1024 X 768 Med or Med to High, so that makes it futile to go anything over a 7600GT in many games and even with that you still need 2GB to use it fully.

Secondly you might consider buying a new CPU or overclocking your existing one to atleast 2.2-2.4GHz if you don't want your CPU to be a bottleneck.

1900XT >= 7950GT Extreme

1900XT + 1GB RAM < 7950GT + 2GB RAM

Switch said:
@Lord Can you get me the name of the dealer in Mumbai who has the Saphhire X1900XT in stock...

Not mumbai :eek:hyeah: . I am in Mohali (Chandigarh). I dont know where he gets the Sapphires from (I think its from Delhi), But he has it in his shop today along with some other sapphire cards.

If you still want the details of the dealer, I can give you :) (and no its not Amarbir, hes a bit busy with his new projects lately and could not spare enough time for getting my stuff).

ATi usually has more troubles with its drivers than nvidia despite whatever you may say.

The only downside nvidia has that there are just too many drivers and performance may fluctuate just too much from game to game for each driver to driver. This is where ATi is better off, but again, ATi does have some serious driver drawbacks.

Mafia said:
From what I know,

Nvidia
Smaller card
Cooler card
Better drivers
Better AA, although you might not be able to use that
Cheaper
ATi
Better looking card
Faster
HDR + AA
Better AF, and you can use that
Keep in mind that to actually run your games fine with either of the 2 cards you need 2GB RAM. With 1GB you will end up playing many games at 1024 X 768 Med or Med to High, so that makes it futile to go anything over a 7600GT in many games and even with that you still need 2GB to use it fully.

Secondly you might consider buying a new CPU or overclocking your existing one to atleast 2.2-2.4GHz if you don't want your CPU to be a bottleneck.

1900XT >= 7950GT Extreme

1900XT + 1GB RAM < 7950GT + 2GB RAM

Thanks for the Info..:) I am aware of most it through the reviews, But I just wanted to confirm whether the 4k diff is justified. Also I am going to run the games at 1680 x 1050 res with quality settings at medium to high.

I am also getting a E6300, MSI P965 Neo and 1 GB Corsair/Transcend DDR2 533 for now. The E6300, mobo and RAM is actually for my Sis. But I will be using it for the time being (Till Dec) till I can go to hyderabad and set it up for her. I will be getting a E6600 and Asus P5W or what ever good board there is along with 2 GB DDR2 RAM.

Though a bit OT, I want to know the peoples opinion on the proccy too. so posting away,

I personally feel that my sis is not going to utilize the E6300 to the max potential till another year when Vista along with more resource intensive applications have to be handled. A Pentium D 805 or 820 would as well do justice for her kind of work (Java(J2EE) /C# programming/ Dreamweaver, A bit of Photoshop etc) till another year or year and a half.

So woundnt it be better to go for a 820 or even 805 for half the price of a E6300 with a mobo upgradable to E6300 after an year. I also heard that the prices of C2D are slated to decrease drastically in another 2 months after introduction of Core 2 Quadro. I am aware that the Performace is half of the lowest C2D, but the price is also half. D805 is for 4.5k while E6300 for 9.5k

lord_nemesis said:
Not mumbai :eek:hyeah: . I am in Mohali (Chandigarh). I dont know where he gets the Sapphires from (I think its from Delhi), But he has it in his shop today along with some other sapphire cards.

If you still want the details of the dealer, I can give you :) (and no its not Amarbir, hes a bit busy with his new projects lately and could not spare enough time for getting my stuff).

Nishu bhai... he's getting it from Aditya infotech who's in delhi

We recieved a lot of sapphire cards for testing from this guy... x1900xt 512 also.... :)

Price in delhi would be less

agree with you mafia

I tried this with Spellforce 2 shadow wars. Guess what game crashes after awhile with a gig of memory, and works perfect with 2 GB. In case it doesn't crash, it starts running slow... Using both x1900xt and 7900gtx

Mafia said:
You won't be able to play at 1600 X 1080 High settings with 1GB RAM.

What games are you exactly talking about :huh: . I have a 6800GT now and can play many of the existing games of my preference at 1280 x 1024 stretched or even 1680 x 1050 at medium to low settings at barely playable frame rates (20 to 35 FPS). I just want to play all games at 1680x 1050 at medium settings (without AA or atmost 2X). I ways consider a higher resolution without AA is far better than a lower one with AA.

In all these games I never felt after RAM was a limitation. Most were GPU bound. FEAR was the only game which was Processor, RAM and GPU bound and it was more so due to the bad programming than anything else. I need 2 GB RAM (heck even 4 GB) for my office work, but never felt that I needed it for any of the games I played and thats the only reason I did not upgrade to 2 GB till now. :hap5: ofcourse maybe games like crysis may be memory bound in future.

Anyway I will be getting 2 GB RAM in december. :)

I am not talking about medium to low settings. You will manage that just fine with 1GB. It is high and max settings that need 2GB.

TechHead said:
^BF2 was an example as well.. buggy as hell. Worked really badly on a 1GB system, rocked on 2GB..

A better example as well :eek:hyeah: . Its takes hell lot of a time to just load the game even at 1024 x 768 all settings on medium or low. But after loading it runs ok.

Any way RAM is pricy like hell right now. 1 GB DDR 533 Corsair value select is 5.6k. 667MHz is above 7k. Trascend Jet RAM is also priced same here.
Mafia said:
I am not talking about medium to low settings. You will manage that just fine with 1GB. It is high and max settings that need 2GB.

As I said you can gain a lot of performace just on AA itself as its very resource intensive. you can keep all the other settings at high. My friend used to brag that he was able to run RTCW at 1024 x 768 with 2X AA on a GeForce 3 Ti 500.

zhopudey said:
Why don't you buy funky's x1900? :D

Warranty might be a problem for me if I have to claim it from pune when required.

I used to believe in Graphics cards reliability and not be fussy about warranty sometime back as none of my old cards ever died. But after my 6800 GT died recently, I am a bit fussy about easily claimable warranty now. :)

Anyway I think rave talked to me about the same card some days back, but I did not have the cash at the time. Even now I would be stretching my present budget to the max as all this stuff I am getting now will cost me a whole months salary. Besides I am going to pay by credit card now any repay it in Nov. ;)

Arrey....dont worry abt Warranty and all..... most GPUs anyway have to be sent to a centre from where they are RMA'ed.... like most Rashi stuff goes to Mumbai and all that....

And the fact is that 1900XTs dont fail so often. and if it does, you will only need to send it to Pune...

Dude, he is selling for 22K !!! You simply cant get a better price for a piece with warranty !!!

cummon.... I would hate for you to be stupid now....after buying some excellent stuff and sensible purchases like the Genius Ergo 525, the Dell and everything, dont be silly on the card.....

The extra 3K, you can spend on your girlfriend or on yourself :p

Back