Graphic Cards XFX launches GeForce 7900 GS

imoen said:
Pune Rashi didn't have the 7950GT stocks but I'll find out.

Thanks, let me know if you find out...

imoen said:
BTW, when will your card be arriving?

What card..? :huh: My upgrade is not so simple as yours. Have to upgrade proccy/mobo and probably RAM too. earlier thought that I could give my present proccy, mobo and RAM to sis and get a new ones. But she wants too wants a C2D. So I will probably get a E6300, mobo and the best GPU under 20k use them till dec, then upgrade her machine with the new proccy and mobo and get myself a E6600 and Asus P5W then

Thanks guys!

Not sure about the non-extreme edition. All they have is the extreme.

@lord_nemesis: The going rate for the 7950GT is 19.5k+tax here in Pune. Pricing might be different in Mumbai. I think it's wise to get the upgrade for Conroe because my 2 month old A64 3200+ is already showing signs of aging. I too was thinking about popping a c2d in my machine; that should give me a boost of 15FPS in Oblivion. And if I couple that with an x1900xt then I should never,ever have problems in oblivion. All in all I feel the Radeon series are better cards but Nvidia seems to have a better VFM ratio and that's most important for me.

Btw pricing is for the 7950GT Extreme Edition. I'd watch out for that one because it has a passive cooler and I've had a terrible experience with that after my passive 7600GS went kaput once.

imoen said:
Thanks guys!

Not sure about the non-extreme edition. All they have is the extreme.

@lord_nemesis: The going rate for the 7950GT is 19.5k+tax here in Pune. Pricing might be different in Mumbai. I think it's wise to get the upgrade for Conroe because my 2 month old A64 3200+ is already showing signs of aging. I too was thinking about popping a c2d in my machine; that should give me a boost of 15FPS in Oblivion. And if I couple that with an x1900xt then I should never,ever have problems in oblivion. All in all I feel the Radeon series are better cards but Nvidia seems to have a better VFM ratio and that's most important for me.

Thanks imoen, nice reasonable price on the 7950GT in my opinion. looks like its 7950GT for me then, unless I manage to get a 1900XT for a very competitive price :eek:hyeah: .

imoen said:
Btw pricing is for the 7950GT Extreme Edition. I'd watch out for that one because it has a passive cooler and I've had a terrible experience with that after my passive 7600GS went kaput once.

yeah, way better to get a regular Active cooled card and oc it ourself.

^^ Yup the prices seem pretty good. maybe i too will go for 7950 gt instead of 7900gs if they are indeed priced around 19.5k !!! After all this one seems like a better VFM compared to the 7900 gs for 14 k

BTW, is it a noisy card?? I mean during movie watching or regular windows operation ????

^^ Not really. It does have variable fan speed so you can hear the fan during 3D apps but in Windows the fan operates at a nominal RPM so it's rather quiet.

Not sure while watching movies as I haven't seen any on this card yet.

Just to clarify. The price on the 7950GT is 20,800/- TAX PAID. Again, this is Pune pricing so your mileage may vary.

Added note, I am able to overclock the 7900GS to 600/1600. I think I should be able to push the mem a bit further though I'm happy enough with this.

@imoen, does Oblivion run at those settings with just 512MB RAM?

Anyway, 7950GT is steal at that price. Atleast at stock it will kill a 7900GT. But if you really think of it, I would prefer a 7900GT over a 7950GT as it can be overclocked and volt modded like hell whereas a 7950GT can't be.

imoen said:
Just to clarify. The price on the 7950GT is 20,800/- TAX PAID. Again, this is Pune pricing so your mileage may vary.

Added note, I am able to overclock the 7900GS to 600/1600. I think I should be able to push the mem a bit further though I'm happy enough with this.

btw, is that for the Leadtek card or the XFX. since you mentioned heat pipes, I guess its for the XFX right?

Mafia said:
@imoen, does Oblivion run at those settings with just 512MB RAM?

Anyway, 7950GT is steal at that price. Atleast at stock it will kill a 7900GT. But if you really think of it, I would prefer a 7900GT over a 7950GT as it can be overclocked and volt modded like hell whereas a 7950GT can't be.

The 7950 GT comes with pretty high clocks as it is, and voltmods for it will probably be similar to the 7900 GT or if not voltmods for it will come out soon enough. The most important difference is that the 7950 GT has 512 MB RAM. That a very important thing to consider especially for future games

@lord_nemesis: Yup, that's the XFX one. Rashi guys.

@mafia: With the 7950GT (512MB), Oblivion will be extremely smooth. Even this 7900GS (256MB) is running under ultra HQ settings/10x7/4xAA/Bloom and it's very playable. 30+FPS outdoors, full draw distance, detailed trees with a few other mods and it's gorgeous. 7950GT with the same settings I am sure will smoothen any kind of hiccup; this card is a beast and at a great price.

Back