Xiaomi laptops launched in India.

How much data do they steal? They must be running their own telemetry shit for sure and not to forget the ads....
While gaming dont get aroused or shocked if some anime babe suddenly starts dancing on your screen.
They must have something embedded in firmware level to steal data or some intentional loophole/backdoor. I would never buy their spyware.

Looks like that reviewer was trying not to piss off Xiaomi. He was acting too politically correct (if that's the term) and trying not to put down the laptop.
Going on and on about backlight KB and telling people to play on very low settings. Very low settings = 1280x720 @ low aa graphics I guess.
Looks like a "for show" laptop to me. Even old photoshop versions will suffer with just 8GB ram. Windows 10 will take 2 to 3GB ram itself. This is for very mild usage. Like browsing net and watching movies. 50k+ for this is too costly.
Someone should try install Ubuntu or other linux distro on it to see how much hardware works under linux.

Hey....I will say though this guy even goes to the 'upgradability' part other Indian Golden Boys of Tech section of Youtube India never even goes to that alley because they will lose the Xiaomi Sponsorship.

Check out these

This guy though bash the Xiaomi but his unbearable Smugness is killing me - No offence to any of his fan if they present here

Now comes to the point - as of now this Fixed RAM looks like the 'New Normal' for upcoming ultrabooks and this PANDEMIC which is worst than COVID starts by the none other than Apple (No offence to any apple user here). You need Light Weight Ultra Book you get Fixed RAM but you need upgradability the Gaming Machine is the only choice which is around 2.5 - 3.5 Kg machine.
This is even worst for AMD Ryzen 4000 series Ultrabooks - Fixed RAM 8 GB where 2GB reserved for Vega Graphics.....I was eyeing on a 4500U variant from Acer Swift 3 but it riddled with the same Fixed RAM symptom. So If anybody buys that he has to live 5.9GB RAM for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
Main cons so far

1. No GST credit on Amazon - big turn off
2. No backlit keyboard - at that price its a must
3. RAM limited to 8GB - OK, but 16GB would have been better

Might pickup one in the 26th sale.

I already have Windows 10 installed with bootcamp. But can not see the Mac partition from Windows explorer.
Is there any 3rd party partition manager(for Windows) which can be installed to erase the Mac os partition while booted in Windows?
I have everything backed up ( not time machine back up, just the important folders are backed up in an external SSD)
Post automatically merged:

Earlier I tried to replace the SSD of the Mac with another ( with fresh Windows 10 installed in it from an old hp laptop)
The iMac didn't probably even recognize the drive as all I got was a grey screen with a question mark (like what you get with a faulty osX installation in old ML) Yes,I know, it was super dumb.
Taking out the drive is a major PITA. And the present Windows 10 install has all the drivers from bootcamp.
Logically, it can be done successfully only with bootcamp ( drivers) but can't figure out how. Will give it another shot tonight. If doesn't work, will just uninstall all the apps and allocate a small space for the OS only.
You may partition the hard drive to have a partition in ExFAT format. That way both MacOS and Windows can read and write to the partition.

Dumping OS X is the primary goal. But the iMac I have is still working great even when running Windows 10. The late 2014, 27 inch one with i7 (4790K), 32 GB of memory, it probably came with a huge fusion drive, later replaced with a proprietary 1TB SSD. It is still my primary DAW workstation. Just stopped using LPX and moved everything over to Studio One, Samplitude and Live 10 suite (got for free with Push 2) The display still feels fantastic.
The entire setup was pretty expensive for me at that time (close to 4000 EUR)
I can possibly use it for another 3-4 years easily. Apple was really making fantastic hardware, before it all went to shit...
Sorry for dragging the thread to a completely unrelated issue.
Back to this laptop...really liked one thing, no logo on the lid, no ugly stickers inside.
When I bought my Macbook Air back in 2013, I was able to easily remove MacOS completely. I just booted from a Windows pendrive and formatted the whole drive and installed Windows like a normal PC/laptop. When I sold it, I was even able to restore it back to MacOS very simply.

When I bought my Macbook Air back in 2013, I was able to easily remove MacOS completely. I just booted from a Windows pendrive and formatted the whole drive and installed Windows like a normal PC/laptop. When I sold it, I was even able to restore it back to MacOS very simply.
How did you download the drivers for Windows? Specially the ones for the touchpad?

Yeah. That's what I did. I first setup Bootcamp which allowed me to download the drivers. After trying Bootcamp, I found that MBA worked very well with Windows so I then went ahead and installed Windows via a pen drive and completely removed MacOS by formatting the hard drive.

I don't think that is possible on the machines with T2 chip now.

I think acer nitro series or MSI laptop inplace of MI Notebook 14 Horizon would be better. Some reviewers were complaining about the heating of MI Laptops

Apart from the non-upgradeability, the use of intel is disappointing. AMD ryzen would be fantastic for machines at this price point. They could put in a 4700U 8 core for 800-1200$ laptops which is what these appear to be.
Post automatically merged:

Looks like that reviewer was trying not to piss off Xiaomi. He was acting too politically correct (if that's the term) and trying not to put down the laptop.
Going on and on about backlight KB and telling people to play on very low settings. Very low settings = 1280x720 @ low aa graphics I guess.
Looks like a "for show" laptop to me. Even old photoshop versions will suffer with just 8GB ram. Windows 10 will take 2 to 3GB ram itself. This is for very mild usage. Like browsing net and watching movies. 50k+ for this is too costly.
Someone should try install Ubuntu or other linux distro on it to see how much hardware works under linux.

Absolutely, I recently bumped up a machine to 16 GB and although it gives you breathing room, it can be filled up quickly if one is not sober and judicious. Opening up a decent quantum of Browser tabs and apps like photoshop can get to 16 Gigs pretty quickly. Doubly so if one is making use of multi desktops. 8 is a pittance apart from office work, windows idles at 4-5 GB easy these days.

If anyone wondering which Xiaomi / Redmi Laptop comes with Upgradable RAM slot then you must know - NONE will, All in house Mi / Xiaomi / Redmi notebooks come with Fixed non-upgradable RAM be it AMD or Intel Chips.

Feel free to let me know otherwise.

If anyone wondering which Xiaomi / Redmi Laptop comes with Upgradable RAM slot then you must know - NONE will, All in house Mi / Xiaomi / Redmi notebooks come with Fixed non-upgradable RAM be it AMD or Intel Chips.

Feel free to let me know otherwise.
Not interested in Mi laptops still how come you so much sure about this?

This is even worst for AMD Ryzen 4000 series Ultrabooks - Fixed RAM 8 GB where 2GB reserved for Vega Graphics.....I was eyeing on a 4500U variant from Acer Swift 3 but it riddled with the same Fixed RAM symptom. So If anybody buys that he has to live 5.9GB RAM for the rest of his life.

I like to stay correct here and quoting my own post, I recently came across the Acer Swift 3 4500U use only 512MB of RAM for graphics, So the above statement is not true for the new-gen AMD U series processor......Or at least for this machine,

Proof is below - Jump to 06:30 video position to listen from the reviewer's mouth.

Not interested in Mi laptops still how come you so much sure about this?

I was very much interested in Mi Laptops Horizon Edition, They are lightweight and perfect for carrying around, Once it launched here with fixed RAM - I start searching which one comes with upgradeable memory and going to wait for them.

Well I came across this info from this reviewer - Here, he posted the latest Redmibook 16 Ryzen 4700U review

This guy review Mi Laptop since 2016 and here I'm attaching the playlist of those, I didn't go all of this video but most of them reveal All Xiaomi Laptop So far comes with Fixed RAM - According to him there is 'Normal' and 'Pro' version of the Xiaomi Lineup, In Pro version, you get Back Lit Keyboard, SD Card Slot and 2nd SSD port internal storage expansion.

View attachment 86329 View attachment 86330
Mi Notebook 14Horizon Edition - Rs 54,999 upwardsMi Notebook 14 - starting Rs 41,999 for without gpu model
10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 / 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5
NVIDIA® GeForce® MX350
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
Super Thin Bezels & Ultra Light
35.56cm(14) FHD Anti-glare Horizon Display
512GB PCI Express Gen 3 NVMe SSD / 512GB SATA 3 SSD
Windows 10 Home
Up to 10Hrs of Battery

Operating System
Windows 10 Home

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-10510U Processor
1.8GHz quad-core with boost clock (up to 4.9GHz)

Intel® Core™ i5-10210U Processor
1.6GHz quad-core with boost clock (up to 4.2GHz)

Graphics
NVIDIA® GeForce® MX350
Video Memory Size - 2GB GDDR5 VRAM

Display
35.56cm(14) Full HD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare 16:9 Horizon Display
91 % screen-to-body ratio
178° Wide-viewing Angle

Memory
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM

Storage
512GB PCI Express Gen 3 NVMe SSD
3000 MB/s Sequential Read, 1800 MB/s Sequential Write Speed

512GB SATA 3 SSD
600 MB/s Speed

Interface
1 x Type-C™ USB 3.1 Gen 1 (For data transfer)
2 x Type-A USB 3.1 Gen 1
1 x USB 2.0
1 x HDMI
1 x Combo Audio Jack
1 x Charging Port
2 x Type-A USB 3.1 Gen 1
1 x USB 2.0
1 x HDMI
1 x Combo Audio Jack
1 x Charging Port

Keyboard and Trackpad
Keyboard:
Scissor Mechanism ABS Texture
with 1.3mm key travel
19mm pitch per key

Trackpad:
Multi-touch support

Audio:
2x2W Stereo Speakers
DTS Audio Processing App Support
3.5mm headphone jack

Wireless Connectivity
Wireless LAN:
Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi 2x2

Bluetooth:
Bluetooth V5.0

Battery and Power:
46Wh Battery
Backup of up to 10Hrs
65W Power Adapter

Weight and Dimensions:
Thickness: 17.15mm
Length: 321.3mm
Width: 206.8mm
Weight: 1.35kg

Included Software:
Mi Blaze Unlock
Mi Smart Share

Package Contents:
Mi Notebook 14 Horizon Edition x 1U
Power Adapter with Power Cord x 1U
User Manual x 1U
Mi Webcam HD x 1U (Free with the Mi NoteBook 14 Horizon Edition, will be given as a separate bundle)
10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5​
NVIDIA® GeForce® MX250 /
Intel® UHD Graphics 620
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
Thin and Light
35.56cm (14) FHD Anti-glare Display
256GB / 512GB
SATA 3 SSD
Windows 10 Home
Upto 10Hrs of Battery

Operating System
Windows 10 Home

Processor
Intel® Core™ i5-10210U Processor
1.6GHz quad-core with boost clock (up to 4.2GHz)

Graphics
Intel® UHD Graphics 620
Optional: NVIDIA® GeForce® MX250 (2GB GDDR5 VRAM)

Display
35.56cm (14) Full HD (1920x1080) Anti-glare Display
178° Wide-viewing Angle with 81.2 % screen-to-body ratio

Memory
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM

Storage
256GB / 512GB SATA 3 SSD

Interface
2 x Type-A USB 3.1 Gen 1
1 x USB 2.0
1 x HDMI
1 x Combo Audio Jack
1 x DC-jack

Keyboard and Trackpad
Keyboard:
Scissor Mechanism ABS Texture with 1.3mm key travel
19mm pitch per key

Trackpad:
Multi-touch support

Audio:
2x2W Stereo Speakers
DTS Audio Processing App Support
3.5mm headphone jack

Wireless Connectivity
Wireless LAN:
Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi

Bluetooth:
Bluetooth V5.0

Battery and Power:
46Wh Battery
Backup of up to 10Hrs
65W Power Adapter

Weight and Dimensions:
Thickness: 17.95mm
Length: 323mm
Width: 228mm
Weight: 1.5kg

Included Software:
Mi Blaze Unlock
Mi Smart Share

Package Contents:
Mi Notebook 14 x 1U
Power Adapter with Power Cord x 1U
User Manual x 1U
Mi Webcam HD 720p x1U(Free with the Mi Notebook 14, will be given as a separate bundle)

Similar as Xiaomi smartphone it also looks promising but time will tell is it worth buying or not.

Anyone got this laptop? is it worth it?
This is a value for Money Laptop if you are alright with the specs right now and for 1 year to come. Potential pain points with the laptop are
1. The RAM on the laptop is soldered on
2. No back light keyboard
3. The webcam is detachable

Back