User Review Xiaomi Mi Band 2 review

I lost my Mi Band 1 one day while on my way to office. No idea when or where it fell out of my wrist. Given that Mi India was still selling the old Mi Band 1 at ₹999 with only white LED, I decided to get the latest Mi band 2 from China. Got it within 10 days, $39, no customs charged.

In the Box:
Mi Band capsule, Strap, Charging cable, User manual in Chinese.

1. Design:
Xiaomi has improved the strap such that its more flatter and wider than the previous Mi Band. This is to accommodate the capsule which is larger compared to the previous Mi Band. The strap locking mechanism has improved and it is easier to wear or remove but still enough sturdy that it won't accidentally open.
The capsule consists of a very small display and a touch button below which cycles through various values like Time, steps, distance, calories burnt, battery percentage and heart rate. The display is only 0.42," I wish it could have been bigger given the space on the front panel.

2016-08-06 00.07.06.jpg 2016-08-06 00.06.58.jpg2016-08-06 00.06.28.jpg 2016-08-06 00.06.03.jpg

2. Features:
The band is IP67 waterproof like the previous band so I don't take it off in shower.
The display can be customized using the Mi Fit app. The first pane shows the current time and this cannot be disabled. The Android app has an option to select between 12 hour & 24 hour time format but I did not find this setting in the iOS app. The other values that the band can display are steps, distance, calories burnt, battery percentage and heart rate.

2016-08-06 01.13.25.png

Mi has added the same heart rate sensor that it had in Mi Band 1s which never made to India. I found it mostly a hit or miss as it fails to measure the heart rate most of the time. Heart rate measurement can be triggered by the app or using the touch button on top of the band. Surprisingly, triggering via app fails lesser times than triggering via the band itself.

2016-08-06 01.13.12.png

Another feature that is new is the idle notification where the band reminds by vibrating if it detects lack of physical activity for a long time. This is great for people who work long hours sitting in office.

2016-08-06 01.13.37.png

The band has usual features of the previous Mi band including step counter and sleep monitoring, alarm, app & call notifications. The sleep monitoring can be made more accurate by turning on heart rate based monitoring at the expense of battery life.
App notifications can be turned on for few apps on the iOS apps and on Android you can turn on for most apps. It vibrates and displays the icon for a few apps present in the list like Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter etc. otherwise it just displays just a generic icon - a square with 'app' written inside it.
2016-08-06 01.14.31.png

Battery Life:
Xiaomi claims a battery life of 20 days. The band came with 50% battery. I have managed to reduce around 25% battery in 5 days which matches Xiaomi's claims.

2016-08-06 01.13.22.png

Pro's:
1. Great improvement in design than previous Mi band.
2. Battery life
3. Comfortable for 24 hour use
4. Water resistance

Con's:
1. Availability outside China
2. Display could have been bigger
3. Quirky heart rate monitoring

I lost my Mi Band 1 one day while on my way to office. No idea when or where it fell out of my wrist. Given that Mi India was still selling the old Mi Band 1 at ₹999 with only white LED, I decided to get the latest Mi band 2 from China. Got it within 10 days, $39, no customs charged.

In the Box:
Mi Band capsule, Strap, Charging cable, User manual in Chinese.

1. Design:
Xiaomi has improved the strap such that its more flatter and wider than the previous Mi Band. This is to accommodate the capsule which is larger compared to the previous Mi Band. The strap locking mechanism has improved and it is easier to wear or remove but still enough sturdy that it won't accidentally open.
The capsule consists of a very small display and a touch button below which cycles through various values like Time, steps, distance, calories burnt, battery percentage and heart rate. The display is only 0.42," I wish it could have been bigger given the space on the front panel.

View attachment 66040 View attachment 66044View attachment 66041 View attachment 66043

2. Features:
The band is IP67 waterproof like the previous band so I don't take it off in shower.
The display can be customized using the Mi Fit app. The first pane shows the current time and this cannot be disabled. The Android app has an option to select between 12 hour & 24 hour time format but I did not find this setting in the iOS app. The other values that the band can display are steps, distance, calories burnt, battery percentage and heart rate.

View attachment 66045

Mi has added the same heart rate sensor that it had in Mi Band 1s which never made to India. I found it mostly a hit or miss as it fails to measure the heart rate most of the time. Heart rate measurement can be triggered by the app or using the touch button on top of the band. Surprisingly, triggering via app fails lesser times than triggering via the band itself.

View attachment 66046

Another feature that is new is the idle notification where the band reminds by vibrating if it detects lack of physical activity for a long time. This is great for people who work long hours sitting in office.

View attachment 66047

The band has usual features of the previous Mi band including step counter and sleep monitoring, alarm, app & call notifications. The sleep monitoring can be made more accurate by turning on heart rate based monitoring at the expense of battery life.
App notifications can be turned on for few apps on the iOS apps and on Android you can turn on for most apps. It vibrates and displays the icon for a few apps present in the list like Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter etc. otherwise it just displays just a generic icon - a square with 'app' written inside it.
View attachment 66048

Battery Life:
Xiaomi claims a battery life of 20 days. The band came with 50% battery. I have managed to reduce around 25% battery in 5 days which matches Xiaomi's claims.

View attachment 66049

Pro's:
1. Great improvement in design than previous Mi band.
2. Battery life
3. Comfortable for 24 hour use
4. Water resistance

Con's:
1. Availability outside China
2. Display could have been bigger
3. Quirky heart rate monitoring
Thanks for the detailed review, where did you get it from?

How accurate is the pedometer? also any options to track cycling etc?
Can it use the GPS from phone to track?
Does it Sync with other fitness tracking apps? Like Runtastic, S-health etc

Thanks for the detailed review, where did you get it from?
Aliexpress
How accurate is the pedometer? also any options to track cycling etc?
The pedometer tracks using accelerometer. So sometimes it would count steps even if you swing you hand. But its fairly accurate for a non-GPS tracker. It can detect running but not cycling.
Can it use the GPS from phone to track?
No.
Does it Sync with other fitness tracking apps? Like Runtastic, S-health etc
It syncs with Google Fit on Android and Apple health on iOS.
Google Fit syncs with most apps I believe.

how is the heart rate monitering feature ? im looking for one but am confused. get these bands or those sensors that you have to wear under your shirt on your chest.

how is the heart rate monitering feature ? im looking for one but am confused. get these bands or those sensors that you have to wear under your shirt on your chest.
Heart rate monitoring is not continuous. It will measure once when you trigger it. Also I have no way to compare the accuracy of the measurement.

Nice review!

If I may ask, what is your biggest reason for buying this device?
I like that it has an HR measuring feature. Accuracy, like you said, is a different ballgame altogether.

Nice review!

If I may ask, what is your biggest reason for buying this device?
I like that it has an HR measuring feature. Accuracy, like you said, is a different ballgame altogether.
I lost my older Mi Band so I thought that instead of buying the old model, I'll get the new one.

Can you share the link here? Or PM me please? :) Thanks in advance!
You can search on Aliexpress. Listings keep changing. If I add a link it might be gone the next day.

@pauldmps I was sitting in the last row of my office bus and Mi Band 2 kept on counting steps the whole way to office even though I removed the band and kept it in my bag. It counted almost 2000 extra steps. It seems to be too sensitive. Even when I am in car and I am not moving my left arm, it is counting steps.
Do you face the same problem? Or is there something wrong with my device?

I too was looking for heart rate montior but mi band 2 isn't continous like the fitbit. Get a fitbit charge for heart rate

Last edited:
Mi Band 2 has a continuous heart rate sensor. You have to enable this specifically via the Mi Fit app as this consumes a lot of battery power.
It does have a heart rate sensor, just that it does not monitor it always. It only does when you initiate it either through the Band itself or the Mi Fit app.

^ Im getting conflicting reviews. Does this have continuous HR sensing or not?

Like my fitbit monitors heart rate whole day and gives a chart and the end of the day. Can mi band do that? without manually starting and stopping the hr sensor?

^ Im getting conflicting reviews. Does this have continuous HR sensing or not?

Like my fitbit monitors heart rate whole day and gives a chart and the end of the day. Can mi band do that? without manually starting and stopping the hr sensor?
Since it consumes a lot if battery, they have kept it on demand. You ask it to monitor continuously and it will. But you will have to activate and stop it manually.

It costs a lot less than any Fitbit. So you get what you pay for.

^ I'm getting conflicting reviews. Does this have continuous HR sensing or not?

Like my Fitbit monitors heart rate whole day and gives a chart and the end of the day. Can MI band do that? without manually starting and stopping the hr sensor?
It does not have continuous HR sensing, so please do not expect anything similar to Fitbit. You have to manually invoke it, and it definitely won't show you a chart at the end of the day or anything similar to that. But as @hotshot05 said, it costs so much less than a Fitbit, so yeah it is justifiable.

Back