Xiaomi Mi3 launched - Stunning 14k price

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^Are you sure jellybean? They did a 4.4 update for MY

Spec wise the phone is kickass! Care to match any phone with such spec vs price and performance in the Indian Market today!

The Indian site says 4.3 - http://www.mi.com/in/mi3/#fullspecs

Specs are great, no doubt, but we've come to a point where CPU / GPU specs don't matter all that much unless you use your phone to play intensive games. Samsung's a prime example of cutting edge hardware being held back by terrible software. Android L will come with some pretty amazing performance improvements for everyday usage and better battery life, so not having access to it would be rather annoying. I've been following Xiaomi for years but they've always taken their own sweet time to update to the latest version of Android. If this changes, they could potentially take over the Indian market.

ASS: Am guessing that they may opt like TP-Link, replace with a new piece, at least in the initial years, to get rolling.

-----------------

The things we are hearing about L, N4 may become a fantastic buy?! Saw it for ~14.5k in a thread in imported handsets.

Dang... Sweet price. Was holding out for another couple of months for the Oneplus One to be easily available abroad, but this just changes everything.

Most probably they will initially go with FK or Amazon and once they are set, they are likely to sell the phones from their own store. This is a sweet price for such specs. Have used a few different versions of MiUi ROMs, visually quite good but they are a bit sluggish on weaker hardware. But given Mi3's h/w, MiUi would be well optimized.

Last edited:
Believe me dear. Use it for a few days and you will never want to use the stock ROM provided by different manufacturers.
I agree, the only rom I have ever loved is MIUI. USed it on my defy from day 1. However, unless they can actually deliver Android L soon, I may stay away from it. ITs the best rom feature wise. Auto call recording, btw they were the first ones to have the system tiles which was introduced in kitkat you knw the one with the two finger swipe down the right side of your screen. IT was leaps and bounds ahead of anything google had thought. Not anymore though. Even their cloud based system is the best out there ...... and a bonus..... their inbuilt contact duplicate remover works like a charm. Wonder why google didn't copy from them. The MIUI compass is practically the most insanely simple to use compass and the most good looking one out there. If they only had a roadmap for L .... oh and they have hugo barra.[DOUBLEPOST=1404827159][/DOUBLEPOST]oh and not to forget built in Root and the father of privacy guard :) Man I miss MIUI.

You don't have any idea about MiUi rom now, do you? It's solid dude.

Check my response to the other guy. I've used it extensively starting with Gingerbread versions on a Galaxy S (weeklies every Friday) to Jellybean MIUI on a Nexus 4. Also played around enough with my roommate's Mi2S. It used to be awesome. Now it's falling behind. The gap will become even further once L comes out. Even from a purely visual standpoint, there will be a huge disparity between the ROM itself and 3rd party apps once they begin to follow L's Material Design guidelines.

Last edited:
I am quite surprised at the pricing. i saw it being sold in Hong Kong for ~15.5k and they have 0 import taxes etc. And them managing to retain the same pricing for India is pretty impressive IMO. This will probably be the 16 gig version though. There is no card slot. And the next version is 64gb I think which retails for about ~4-5k more.

The Very aggressive pricing may be primarily to break into the market; all said & done, not many know about the company.

The most attractive feature for me was that they decided to put in a 3050 mah cell with a fairly recent Soc.
Of course optimization matter a lot, but still with this combination they cannot go wrong .
What I am worried about more is the general phone functions which we take for granted in phones from say Nokia or HTC
RF performance ? Earpiece volume? few of the essentials that are typically not present on the spec sheet.

Also the size of the thing
Mi 3 : 144 x 73.6 x 8.1 mm
Galaxy s5 : 142 x 72.5 x 8.1 mm
Nexus 5 : 137.9 x 69.2 x 8.6 mm
But I think That a 5 inch screen does justify it partly.

I have used a few android flagships in the past but have always returned to iOS mostly because the phones are smaller.
I disliked android earlier because of the subpar battery life (Nexus 4) or slow interface by default (s4)
Last month when I actually used my brother's Moto G,It was a revelation. It was so pocketable, had a true morning to night battery life and a decent RF/loud earpiece. It was what I call a "keeper"

So I think Mi 3 will make a fantastic first smartphone. But for those who already have iOS / Windows phones, I think the moto G still makes a better secondary phone.
I will still get the phone when it releases on 15th , But will mostly have to get the flip cover from ali express!

great specs. but I'm worried about the hardware quality. like everyone else (?).

No, Its not that we have not heard of it. Xiaomi has been all over the internet blogs for the past 2-3 years, but real life use is a differnet matter, and I do think very few people have imported one or actually bought at the inflated prices from ebay Geb

Gionee makes good hardware as in Industrial design. So do most Chinese OEM's . Take elife 5.5 or a Huawei P1s for example. Its hard not be impressed by the rakish angular design.
But Xiaomi maybe understands android better . Years of crafting MIUI. and also the use of a recent lauded Soc reflect this. Also you are guaranteed some sort of developer support right from the start.
So atleast software quirks can be ironed out if you are familiar with android.

Can't wait to get my hands on one....
DARN you OneplusOne for keeping me waiting..
and mrnikhilsudo...dont call it chinese iphone...the CEO gets sentimental about that :)

Wow, people have never heard of Xaiomi it seems in India. Man lets put it his way. ITs the iPhone of the android world. Thats how good it is.
well no this is the first time for me. and I wouldn't call it the iPhone of android because Iphones are expensive but the mi3 is not.
well if they are this good like you claim then its all good...I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back