Xiaomi Mi3 - The BEST OotB experience I ever had !

The way to fix this is use a lower iso with a longer shutter. But where is the iso setting on these chinese phones ?

No where!

I don't get that, they're using a sony sensor.
There is. Enable advanced mode under the camera settings. Let's you chose White Balance, ISO, Exposure time, Focus mode etc. Tweak to your hearts content. :)

There is. Enable advanced mode under the camera settings. Let's you chose White Balance, ISO, Exposure time, Focus mode etc. Tweak to your hearts content. :)
ok, then that is good, slowest is 2s shutter which should be enough. Actually since you like taking photos why don't you pick one you found grainy and try in manual. Then post the before and after pics here. You may be able to pull off a 1/8 or even 1/4 handheld, beyond that will require a stand.

seems i confused this with Oppo's models. Did not notice iso on lenovo's vibe z either.

Last edited:
ok, then that is good, slowest is 2s shutter which should be enough. Actually since you like taking photos why don't you pick one you found grainy and try in manual. Then post the before and after pics here. You may be able to pull off a 1/8 or even 1/4 handheld, beyond that will require a stand.

seems i confused this with Oppo's models. Did not notice iso on lenovo's vibe z either.
Hmmm. Will give it a whirl and post. I did try a 1/8, but that is still too shaky. Infact, 1/8 is shaky with my DSLR too (even with a VR lens), so can't fault the phone. On the DSLR, with VR, the lowest I can go without a tripod is 1/30. Anything less and it's blurry. :(

Let's clear some things up here.

Infact, 1/8 is shaky with my DSLR too (even with a VR lens), so can't fault the phone. On the DSLR, with VR, the lowest I can go without a tripod is 1/30. Anything less and it's blurry. :(
General rule (does not mean it can't be broken if you're 'talented') to avoid blur hand held is don't use a shutter speed slower than 1/focal length.

Unless you've got a dlsr lens which is 8mm, you will find it impossible to get a steady shot with a shutter of 1/8. since you can't go slower than 1/30 it means the lens you're using is little lower than 30mm. If you were using a 50mm focal length either prime or zoom you would not be able to go below 1/50 etc. Also a dslr is much heavier than a phone so you will have to have good hand hold technique as well as leaning on something to get this with a dslr. Thing is you would not need it because the sensor is so large you will get a good quality shot even at higher iso's which isn't possible with the smaller sensors on a phone. You don't want to go above iso 400 in low light with a phone, lower iso's are better.

Hmmm. Will give it a whirl and post. I did try a 1/8, but that is still too shaky.
Focal length of the mi-3 camera is 3.5mm that means a 1/4 is eminently possible hand held without blur if you do it right. Have seen it with a Z1 which has no OIS so its possible. Z1 is a f2.0, mi-3 is a f2.2, only a quarter of an f-stop difference.

Subject must be static, cannot do it with people. You use the on screen button and do a slow swipe. You don't hold your hands out in front, but rest them on your chest. The backs of your thumbs are gripping your chest for support. You can't see the viewfinder, so frame it then pull it back so your thumbs are on your chest. On the exhale, take the shot.

Practice 1/32,1/16, 1/8 and then 1/4 with as low an ISO that makes the subject viewable. EV at 0. Depends on the light, if its too low, you will have to bump ISO up a little but 1/4 to 1/8 will give you the best shot the camera can possibly take and should be much better than what auto will give you. Won't be grainy or rather less grainy.

Failure to pull it off is your fault not the camera :)

Last edited:
Guys I am facing a weird Issue with my Xiaomi Mi3.

The thing is that when I moved from my Nexus 5 to Mi3 I did a contacts backup from My Contacts Backup App and of course my contacts are synced with my Gmail account.

Now after syncing my contacts with the Gmail on Mi3 I saw that there were lots of contacts missing. I then deleted all my contacts from the Mi3 and stopped the syncing of contacts from the Apps tab and tried to sync with the My Contacts Backup created file but Mi3 gives an error and says "Couldn't Import Vcard".

Help me resolve this

Let's clear some things up here.

General rule (does not mean it can't be broken if you're 'talented') to avoid blur hand held is don't use a shutter speed slower than 1/focal length.

Unless you've got a dlsr lens which is 8mm, you will find it impossible to get a steady shot with a shutter of 1/8. since you can't go slower than 1/30 it means the lens you're using is little lower than 30mm. If you were using a 50mm focal length either prime or zoom you would not be able to go below 1/50 etc. Also a dslr is much heavier than a phone so you will have to have good hand hold technique as well as leaning on something to get this with a dslr. Thing is you would not need it because the sensor is so large you will get a good quality shot even at higher iso's which isn't possible with the smaller sensors on a phone. You don't want to go above iso 400 in low light with a phone, lower iso's are better.

Focal length of the mi-3 camera is 3.5mm that means a 1/4 is eminently possible hand held without blur if you do it right. Have seen it with a Z1 which has no OIS so its possible. Z1 is a f2.0, mi-3 is a f2.2, only a quarter of an f-stop difference.

Subject must be static, cannot do it with people. You use the on screen button and do a slow swipe. You don't hold your hands out in front, but rest them on your chest. The backs of your thumbs are gripping your chest for support. You can't see the viewfinder, so frame it then pull it back so your thumbs are on your chest. On the exhale, take the shot.

Practice 1/32,1/16, 1/8 and then 1/4 with as low an ISO that makes the subject viewable. EV at 0. Depends on the light, if its too low, you will have to bump ISO up a little but 1/4 to 1/8 will give you the best shot the camera can possibly take and should be much better than what auto will give you. Won't be grainy or rather less grainy.

Failure to pull it off is your fault not the camera :)
Righto !
Here goes 1/8secs, straight from the cam, unedited, untouched:

tLWnnDNl.jpg

Light was good. Handheld. Focussed on the mid of the horse.

iso ? can we see the original, put it up on imageshack if possible.

And lets see the one taken in auto to compare with.

wanted to see the exifs of the two but imgur strips them out (!)

Auto has used faster than 1/8 as it did a better job in preserving details if you zoom to 50% compared to manual.

Now if ISO is the same for both then this comparison is inconclusive, in fact in this particular scenario auto is the better option.

Light is too much here to see better manual than auto.

How is that box hanging on the wall :eek::nailbiting:
It's snugly stuck to the wall. Also not my house, but a hotel I was staying in. :p

BTW, got the Baseus Faith Flip Cover for Mi3. Looks gorgeous. Might get the other colors too !

b9Upn6P.jpg

AuDManG.jpg

cpOn6EP.jpg

lzQKRNb.jpg

Opens from the back (magnetic grip, but Mi3 does not have auto magnetic lock/unlock, so only works for the case, not for the screen).
Good bump for the camera. So the lens is not just in the case, but will never touch the surface.
HrZkkDW.jpg

hWEk3xt.jpg

From the inside:
FE5mkGV.jpg

So much better than the ones I bought earlier.

Back