Xiaomi Redmi 3 announced

Rumors of a 4.3-inch Xiaomi smartphone with Snapdragon 820 CPU
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Rumo...-820-CPU-show-up-next-to-a-fake-photo_id79752

Reportedly, the upcoming 4.3-inch Xiaomi handset will be powered by Qualcomm's top of the line Snapdragon 820 processor - the same that smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S7 and LG G5 are using. That 4.3-inch screen should offer a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels, while other features are expected to include a 13 MP rear camera, 3 GB of RAM, 32 GB of internal memory, and a 2350 mAh battery. It's said that the new smartphone will be released in June, costing around $276.

Initial Impressions of the Redmi Note 3 2GB (Gold).

1. Build quality is excellent with metal body. One downside of this is that if you are not using a case, you will feel it even if it gets a bit warm.

2. I would most certainly recommend going for the 3 GB model if you plan to use this as your primary smartphone. The Phone doesn't feel as snappy as my Vibe Z2 Pro. I think both the amount of RAM and the memory management of MIUI is to blame for this.

3. Battery charging way slow compared to my Vibe Z2 Pro despite having similar battery size and being bundled with a 2A charger. In fact, its charging slower with the wall charger than my Vibe Z2 Pro charges via normal USB port (from router in my case)

4. I charged the battery to 100% on Friday noon. After 5 days without charging, today, it was at 42%. This is in standby with no calls taken (although lots of spam calls came in), WiFi Connected and occasional screen on time to check calls, SMS etc. I cannot say that it compares well to my Vibe Z2 Pro. My Vibe Z2 Pro will drain only about 20% in 5 days with that sort of usage.

you will feel it even if it gets a bit warm.
After how many hours of continuous usage?

2. I would most certainly recommend going for the 3 GB model if you plan to use this as your primary smartphone. The Phone doesn't feel as snappy as my Vibe Z2 Pro. I think both the amount of RAM and the memory management of MIUI is to blame for this.
When it comes to "value" I think that the amount of memory is only for marketing purposes and boy does it easily influence people a lot. Also the system or UI might not have been optimized properly. Or maybe even using lower tier memory (which will be hard to check and ignored by the average user). I can't think of any other reason. Even that Asus Zen phone with 3GB/4GB something RAM lags more often that it should. And to think that it was so hyped when it was announced. :|
3. despite having similar battery size.

4. I charged the battery to 100% on Friday noon. After 5 days without charging, today, it was at 42%. My Vibe Z2 Pro will drain only about 20% in 5 days with that sort of usage.

Battery size is just a number so I'm not really suprised there. Read tons of comparison charts and reviews of products in their tier and one thing which i learned was a phone with smaller battery number can last much longer than one with a bigger battery.

After how many hours of continuous usage?

While running anything a bit intensive. However, I would not call it hot.

When it comes to "value" I think that the amount of memory is only for marketing purposes and boy does it easily influence people a lot. Also the system or UI might not have been optimized properly. Or maybe even using lower tier memory (which will be hard to check and ignored by the average user). I can't think of any other reason. Even that Asus Zen phone with 3GB/4GB something RAM lags more often that it should. And to think that it was so hyped when it was announced. :|

Android today can benefit from up to 4 GB (maybe even 6 GB) RAM easily. The more RAM you have, the more stuff the OS can cache into memory for immediate retrieval. It holds even for stock android. Its a different matter if the rest of the hardware or software implementation limits the effect of RAM, but otherwise, I definitely would not consider 3/4 GB RAM to be a gimmick. Even a well optimized stock android phone with 2 GB or less would feel like a hassle to use after experiencing stock android on 3/4 GB RAM.

Battery size is just a number so I'm not really suprised there. Read tons of comparison charts and reviews of products in their tier and one thing which i learned was a phone with smaller battery number can last much longer than one with a bigger battery.

Again its a question of optimization and the hardware used.

Was able to add one to cart. Now I am evaluating whether I should wait for 32GB/3GB version. No idea if it will ever be made available again in India

got one. grey . Friend was waiting for the 32GB one but finally bought the 16GB grey today.
Horrible sale tactics by Redmi. If it was not for my friend (he wanted a new phone badly) I would have not even considered looking twice at MI cheap gimmicks.
I think companies should grow up and sell what they have. If they dont have the inventory they should get lost.
After all its just a cheap chinese phone. Not life saving cancer cure drugs that they have to ration it with such stupid flash sales.
I kept on clicking the Add To Cart button and if just said "Checking Deal Status... " After that nothing. Again it displayed the Add to Cart button.
Amazon might end up spoiling their brand name for the sake of such cheap chinese stupidity.

^^ You know, Apple had the same of situation for Pre-orders of new iPhones for several years and they even had the audacity to charge more for white iPhones by controlling availability and its funny that no body considered calling them out for it, but a Chinese company ends up with the same outcome either out of necessity or as a marketing tactic and people call them cheap.

Personally, I don't like this sort of thing even if its really because of low stocks, but if you can't take that nonsense, all you have to do is to go and buy something else like the Le 1s.

^lol. But dude you know...as long as Indians keep on buying them that stupid tactic will never change.
"Sir, we are unable to clear the existing stock. People have stopped buying them. What do we do?"
"Ship them to India!"
India is and will always be their dumpster.

got one. grey . Friend was waiting for the 32GB one but finally bought the 16GB grey today.
Horrible sale tactics by Redmi. If it was not for my friend (he wanted a new phone badly) I would have not even considered looking twice at MI cheap gimmicks.
I think companies should grow up and sell what they have. If they dont have the inventory they should get lost.
After all its just a cheap chinese phone. Not life saving cancer cure drugs that they have to ration it with such stupid flash sales.
I kept on clicking the Add To Cart button and if just said "Checking Deal Status... " After that nothing. Again it displayed the Add to Cart button.
Amazon might end up spoiling their brand name for the sake of such cheap chinese stupidity.

I had a similar issue stating "checking deal status" with the grey one for first few seconds and dint take risk and booked a Gold one for my wife :)

I bought from Mi India website as I wanted to get the Mi protect plan. Mine was added to cart at one go (it took some time to check the deal status). And anyway would not have been able to do anything if I did not get it in one try as I was on mobile.

Got the Dark Grey phone, Mi Protect plan and a flip cover. Was pretty desperate for a phone as my Moto G 1st gen is almost giving up on me. Still having second thoughts whether I should have had waited for the 32GB version (not sure if they will become available again sometime in the future!)

Initial Impressions of the Redmi Note 3 2GB (Gold).

1. Build quality is excellent with metal body. One downside of this is that if you are not using a case, you will feel it even if it gets a bit warm.

3. Battery charging way slow compared to my Vibe Z2 Pro despite having similar battery size and being bundled with a 2A charger. In fact, its charging slower with the wall charger than my Vibe Z2 Pro charges via normal USB port (from router in my case)

4. I charged the battery to 100% on Friday noon. After 5 days without charging, today, it was at 42%. This is in standby with no calls taken (although lots of spam calls came in), WiFi Connected and occasional screen on time to check calls, SMS etc. I cannot say that it compares well to my Vibe Z2 Pro. My Vibe Z2 Pro will drain only about 20% in 5 days with that sort of usage.
I guess you have installed a few 3rd party applications already. After bootup or on average how much RAM is available for use?
Read somewhere that only 800MB is available after bootup!

This is going to be my Primary phone. I am replacing my stuttering Moto G 1st gen phone. Will be using Tapatalk, DD, maybe FB and FB Messenger app, Whatsapp, Uber, Ola, Outlook, Gmail, Adobe Reader, Opera, Firefox, Feedly.
Won't be playing any games

On Mi.com, Buy Now option is available for 16GB version of Redmi Note 3. But unable to add one to cart when I click on "Buy Now". It just shows " You are in line..." and nothing happens.

I guess you have installed a few 3rd party applications already. After bootup or on average how much RAM is available for use?
Read somewhere that only 800MB is available after bootup!

This is going to be my Primary phone. I am replacing my stuttering Moto G 1st gen phone. Will be using Tapatalk, DD, maybe FB and FB Messenger app, Whatsapp, Uber, Ola, Outlook, Gmail, Adobe Reader, Opera, Firefox, Feedly.
Won't be playing any games

Nothing extra installed on the phone as of now. Out of the box, the phone booted with about 950 MB free RAM. I suspect the 3 GB variant would be no different in that it would have roughly 1 GB free RAM.
My Vibe Z2 Pro too has about 1 GB free RAM.

Back