Yamaha YHT-196 HTiB AVR blown twice - suggest voltage stabiliser

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Hi,

I have a Yamaha YHT-196 5.1 home theatre system, the receiver is a HTR-2064 which has blown for the second time now (no longer powers up).

It had blown for the first time a few months ago due to extreme low voltage (I don't know the actual voltage levels) and I got it repaired just last month at a cost of 6.5k and it has blown again this month due to another bout of extremely power problems at my place.

I plan to get it repaired again but this time would need some sort of protection (voltage stabiliser with under volt cutoff?) to avoid another blow up.

Any suggestions? I am based in Pune so something local or from website like flipkart?

On flipkart I see a couple of V-Guard stabilisers which mention undervolt protection, would those do?

The user manual states power consumption to be 250 W.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well what do I know? :D

I found the service manual this thing (11 MB PDF) and it had the keypress sequence to get into self diagnostic mode. I just pressed the keys, it powered on, I powered it back off and now it seems to be working normally (powers on via remote) although I'm not sure it hasn't disabled any power protection features. The steps are to first press and hold the "TONE CONTROL" and "STRAIGHT" buttons, then press the POWER button to turn it on in self diagnostic mode. I then just immediately powered it back off.

Now I'm wondering if I got scammed for Rs. 6.5k by the Pune authorised Yamaha service center guys the last time around this happened as they claimed they replaced an IC board to get it repaired.

BTW I'm still looking for advice on some voltage protection device (stabiliser or otherwise) so any inputs are welcome!

Hey, you would need to look at the total power consumption of your system, but I am using the V Guard crystal plus stabilizer for my TV and 5.1 HTS.

The repair did not have any warranty ? like 3-6 months ?

This is scary for me too. Currently I m powering it with APC 1.1KVA UPS.

On different note I would like to mention that it makes couple of click sounds when I start it, not sure if that is normal or something similar waiting to happen to my unit too.

No warranty on the repair unfortunately.

No the clicking sound happens to me too, it's normal it seems, the repair guy also claimed so. Must be some old school decent quality relays in there making that sound.

I think APC UPS is a good idea as it will kick in during high/low voltage and will just shut off when battery drains, I wonder why I didn't think of that too in the first place :)

I think APC UPS is a good idea as it will kick in during high/low voltage and will just shut off when battery drains, I wonder why I didn't think of that too in the first place :)

May be you can attach HT to UPS for time being and if it is feasible. Currently I have my PC and HT nearby so can use UPS. But in couple of months when will shift to another place, same may not be possible.

On another note you may also want to check other appliances/equipment also for such protection, would be a good idea.

Well what do I know? :D

I found the service manual this thing (11 MB PDF) and it had the keypress sequence to get into self diagnostic mode. I just pressed the keys, it powered on, I powered it back off and now it seems to be working normally (powers on via remote) although I'm not sure it hasn't disabled any power protection features. The steps are to first press and hold the "TONE CONTROL" and "STRAIGHT" buttons, then press the POWER button to turn it on in self diagnostic mode. I then just immediately powered it back off.

Now I'm wondering if I got scammed for Rs. 6.5k by the Pune authorised Yamaha service center guys the last time around this happened as they claimed they replaced an IC board to get it repaired.

BTW I'm still looking for advice on some voltage protection device (stabiliser or otherwise) so any inputs are welcome!
Hi Vishal,
I am also in Pune, facing the same problem. I was using my Yamaha YHT196 since 1 year without any problem but when I went to Pune service station that guy charged me Rs 6500 and I need to visit him frequently because it gets probably locked due to power issue or connection to the AV.
I pressed Tone controled and the Straight button, it went up. but it went powered back automatically and same key press is not starting it up again.
Can you please provide me the link of the Service manual PDF?

Hi Vishal, Thanks for your help, I am able to download the pdf you have uploaded, and will try to resolve the issue by myself, till now I have already spent around 12000 on service center. These guys are cheater they just do lock/unlock and charge 3-4 thousand saying the IC or something is blown. Yamaha HT are very delicate and sensitive. I would not recommend anyone to buy Yamaha home theater systems.
Vishal, please also let me know is your HT stable now? not facing issues? or you face issues and fix yourself.

@Sandiipk

Well, since I "reset" my HT it seems to be stable... it sometimes shuts off when voltage fluctuates or power cut and switchover to my inverter but I can then immediately switch it on.

After "resetting" it, I had pressed some buttons on the menu (don't remember what I did) and maybe that DISABLED the voltage protection circuit or something :D

So far (fingers crossed and touch wood) it seems to be stable for a long time...

@vishalrao thanks a lot for saving my Rs 3000 :D, after reading the pdf manual I did the simple steps and it turned on. It starts on diagnostic mode. But I am not sure if the voltage protection is DISABLED or not. If yes then how to put the lock back. It is mentioned there but I could not understand from the pdf.
But yes, I am able to start and it is working good and all credit goes to you Vishal :)
I did the below steps:
Long press TONE CONTROL and STRAIGHT keys (around 4 secs) and press Power button then it goes up, I could see NO PROTECT in the screen then I immediately pressed Power button to switch it off
I think this will work for YHT-299 YHT-2910, YHT1810 models as well, instead of getting looted by Yamaha service engineers one can repair by himself.

@vishalrao But I am not sure if the voltage protection is DISABLED or not. If yes then how to put the lock back. It is mentioned there but I could not understand from the pdf.

Glad to hear you got it up and running again :) I also don't know how to check voltage protection and couldn't understand the PDF fully but I didn't put much thought/effort once it started working for me! If it shuts off again for me I will revisit but right now don't want to "fix what is not broken" so to say.

I confirm similar button set required for Yht 299 as well. Did my self once.

Having experience with Onkyo 3400 I went with 2 years extended warranty from Reliance digital. I preferred in over the stabilizer thing as the heating issues / voltage fluctuation problems are common for all HTiB.

@Vagabond As per services engineer Yamaha home theatres may blow due to mild power input from HDMI cable or AUX too. In my case once it got locked when I connected HT with laptop using HDMI while laptop was charging. Connecting or disconnecting AUX with TV may also cause to blow motherboard. These are said by Service engineer but I don't trust him much as he is a bluff master

@Vagabond As per services engineer Yamaha home theatres may blow due to mild power input from HDMI cable or AUX too. In my case once it got locked when I connected HT with laptop using HDMI while laptop was charging. Connecting or disconnecting AUX with TV may also cause to blow motherboard. These are said by Service engineer but I don't trust him much as he is a bluff master

I recall, when Onkyo HDMI ports went kaput I got a repair guy number from HiFi vision, the guy really knows the tins about HTiB... He told the port connections are quite fragile and one need not play wit it during power on condition.

The Onkyo 3400 story is interesting too.

1. Brought it from TE sale section from @Renegade
2. After 3 months I modified the TV unit and all stuff furniture, Onkyo HDMI went dead.
3. It was in extended warranty, Croma one and had original bills.
4. Croma asked to follow up with third party repair guy, the guy offered me to repair anywhere and he will pay the the bill.
5. Discussed with same repair guy from hifivision got 7k from from this third party.
6. Sold the Onkyo on olx as it is, the buyer was happy with optical out, HDMI wasn`t his requirement.
7. I got 3k more than what I purchased it for.

Happily went with Yamaha yht 299 but made sure I brought it with extended warranty.

Help me guys...HTR-2064 not powering up. did all above stuff (tone+straight+power) but just a click sound is coming off ..nothing else..what should i do now...
I live in Bhopal..no service center here of yamaha ..
bought it from Reliance digital, they say we cant help you out ..
what should i do now please help..!

Are you sure you are reading the steps correctly and following them? Some buttons you "press" (then leave) while some you press and keep pressing it while pressing other button(s) together... just make sure you follow the steps to the letter.[DOUBLEPOST=1470573197][/DOUBLEPOST]Note: "While pressing the “TONE CONTROL” and “STRAIGHT” keys, press the “ ” (Power) key to turn on the power and keep
pressing those 2 keys and the “ ” (Power) key for 3 seconds or longer
."

Yes I did the exact way as written but still only a click sound is coming off and nothing happening

Tone control(hold)+ straight(hold)+power key(hold) for 3sec...this is what I am doing

I have disconnected everything from av receiver...speakers..HDMI ,dvd player .. everything..

Last edited by a moderator:
Also did you try removing the power cord from power outlet then try the key combo?

Leave it unplugged for few minutes (maybe 10-15 minutes).

Then plug in the power cord back and try the key combo again.

@vidit i meant unplug the main power cable of the AVR from the wall and leave it unplugged for some time. if it still does not work, then maybe your actual electricity is low/high voltage fluctuating at the moment? do you notice your other fans/lights running faster/slower/brighter/duller? anyway, if it does not work after disconnecting and reconnecting power plug then just wait and try again after few hours.

if it STILL does not work - maybe it really blown fuse/PCB and you could try locating an electronics repair person from your area (check online or newspaper ads) to diagnose this for you...

Back