Yamaha YHT-196 HTiB AVR blown twice - suggest voltage stabiliser

How about surge protectors like the Belkin surge protectors. Having been using a gold series and once it saved the HT system from lightning strike. The fuse blew off and fried the surge protector and saved the system. Belkin replaced it with a new and better model surge protector as it has life time warranty.

This thread makes for a very useful reading and I also noticed too many coincidences with my experience...
I too had bought a YHT196 from Reliance that came bundled with a Philips Bluray player around a 1.5 yrs back. Today beng a Sunday I had the Cable Set-top box connected with the Home Theater but didn't remove even as there were power fluctuations in our area. We do have Invertor so maybe I forgot noticing the low-power situation still prevailed as I plugged it on. So even as I tried to switch my Yamaha HT the regular way, it just woukdn't start.
So here I was putting keywords frantically on the search engine as I tried again checking and rechecking everything with my basic electrical engineering knowhow.
Tips given on this page worked like a charm, so thanks a lot to Vishal and Sandip.
Even I keep wondering if I have turned the power protect off now.
As this happened inspite of me plugging my Yamaha HT in a Belking Surge-protector board (surely it didn't promise to handle low power situation anyway). I am now thinking of buying a V-Guard or better voltage stabilizer.
Thanks again and keep posting.
Cheers,
Ashish

Hi guys, I was just googling about the same problem and happened to come across this post on the forum. I'm planning to pick up a 5.1 HT system and was considering buying the YHT 1810. However a friend of mine told me about the Yamaha AV receiver which has a problem quite often because of power problems. I would honestly like to know from you guys if its worth spending so much money on a Yamaha HT if there are so many issues with the AV receiver.

PS : I was initially considering buying the YHT 1810 from Reliance digital with one year of extended warranty.

Hi guys, I was just googling about the same problem and happened to come across this post on the forum. I'm planning to pick up a 5.1 HT system and was considering buying the YHT 1810. However a friend of mine told me about the Yamaha AV receiver which has a problem quite often because of power problems. I would honestly like to know from you guys if its worth spending so much money on a Yamaha HT if there are so many issues with the AV receiver.

PS : I was initially considering buying the YHT 1810 from Reliance digital with one year of extended warranty.
Any electronics item or for any brand there is always a 10% chance of it being faulty and it might be our bad luck if we acquire one that is faulty. Nevertheless, it should be the after sales service that should be looked into and the turn around time for the company to replace or repair the faulty item.

In my opinion the best entry level HTiB one considers are either Denon, Yamaha or Onkyo. I have personally used the later two. The power fluctuation problems are true with almost all three, more ever its up to users preference to decide when one prefers to buy based on how it sounds to his ear, budget, upgradability. I spend quite time on these, personally liked the Onkyo 3400 for the music but preferred Yamaha Yht 299 for movies and powered sub in my allotted budget. Denon didn`t suit me.

One can any but any of these but I think should buy with additional warranty for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Will definitely pick it up with extended warranty if I end up buying it.
The additional warranty ; for that matter even Manfacturer warranty for AVR is not worth - they'll deny it quoting voltage fluctuations as a cause for the damage.
Rather invest in a good APC backup of 1+kva capacity, cost around 8k will solve those power issues once for all & piece of mind.

I had the same problem with my previous AVR. The repair guy suggested that the best way to get around it is to power the AVR off completely when not in use. Most AVRs today don't have a hard switch and go into stand by mode when not in use. However, a power surge during stand by still damages them. Workaround is to unplug the AVR when not in use. I put a second spike guard for the AVR, which I switch off when not using. Easier than unplugging.

The additional warranty ; for that matter even Manfacturer warranty for AVR is not worth - they'll deny it quoting voltage fluctuations as a cause for the damage.
Rather invest in a good APC backup of 1+kva capacity, cost around 8k will solve those power issues once for all & piece of mind.

I have different experience.

With additional warranty say Res Q from Reliance Digital, they have team to do serice part on site, did istallation and demo for me (just demo I would say), even if any problem persist in first year they will do the service part and no need to contact manufacturer - which in most cases won`t be available in all cities (Onkyo has main in Chennai I think, Mumbai also have one but nothing good in Pune). How Res Q manages not my concern but gives bit piece of mind for said perios (I have 3 years totals covered).

APC backup is good no doubt but it only covers the power related thing, HTiB have other most known problem is with HDMI ports.

Additionally, the spares becomes obsolute with newer model coming in, in such cases they compensate the money (happened with me, check my previous posts).

Costwise the extednded warranty ain`t that much if brought bundled initially. Just my thoughts... ;)

I have different experience.

With additional warranty say Res Q from Reliance Digital, they have team to do serice part on site, did istallation and demo for me (just demo I would say), even if any problem persist in first year they will do the service part and no need to contact manufacturer - which in most cases won`t be available in all cities (Onkyo has main in Chennai I think, Mumbai also have one but nothing good in Pune). How Res Q manages not my concern but gives bit piece of mind for said perios (I have 3 years totals covered).

APC backup is good no doubt but it only covers the power related thing, HTiB have other most known problem is with HDMI ports.

Additionally, the spares becomes obsolute with newer model coming in, in such cases they compensate the money (happened with me, check my previous posts).

Costwise the extednded warranty ain`t that much if brought bundled initially. Just my thoughts... ;)
We perhaps had a bad experience with regular Manfacturer warranty for Denon AVR almost 2 yr ago . It was branded as issues due to power fluctuations which they denied warranty claims , sent to Mumbai for repair and was asked to pay 12k for it. Guess what? the same issue repeated after 2 months, this time we opted for 3rd party repairs, who told that its a powerboard issues and replaced it for 6k, he clearly advised to keep an APC backup plus surge protection (with Lcd display) around 8k - no issues with the AVR till now. Manfacturer warranty with AVR isn't as robust as it is for iPhones, lots of loop holes. If you frequent AV forums, you'll be overloaded with such stories.

Anyway, That's the last time I bought AVR with Manfacturer warranty, either I'd get it from abroad or will buy a reliable grey market person (who'd give seller warranty too). My imported denon x2200w costed 40k, which costs 75k with bill and warranty, I'm covered even if it were to need a paid repair.

My advice would be is to buy a high end AVR above 50k (with relatively premium components which don't fail ) and Use a APC Backup & surge protection without fail. The imported systems are better IMHO.

@drkrack - "the same issue repeated after 2 months, this time we opted for 3rd party repairs, who told that its a powerboard issues and replaced it for 6k, he clearly advised to keep an APC backup plus surge protection (with Lcd display) around 8k - no issues with the AVR till now."

Could you advise which APC backup unit and surge protection unit I should invest in ? An amazon link should also do.

@drkrack - "the same issue repeated after 2 months, this time we opted for 3rd party repairs, who told that its a powerboard issues and replaced it for 6k, he clearly advised to keep an APC backup plus surge protection (with Lcd display) around 8k - no issues with the AVR till now."

Could you advise which APC backup unit and surge protection unit I should invest in ? An amazon link should also do.
I have this one,

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B0038Z...ds=apc+ups&dpPl=1&dpID=41NC0KNDSgL&ref=plSrch

I'd actually suggest this one if budget permits, this will handle the load much better. The sine wave output is the important thing.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B00B2L...ds=apc+ups&dpPl=1&dpID=41wVRaHiaVL&ref=plSrch
We perhaps had a bad experience with regular Manfacturer warranty for Denon AVR almost 2 yr ago . It was branded as issues due to power fluctuations which they denied warranty claims , sent to Mumbai for repair and was asked to pay 12k for it. Guess what? the same issue repeated after 2 months, this time we opted for 3rd party repairs, who told that its a powerboard issues and replaced it for 6k, he clearly advised to keep an APC backup plus surge protection (with Lcd display) around 8k - no issues with the AVR till now. Manfacturer warranty with AVR isn't as robust as it is for iPhones, lots of loop holes. If you frequent AV forums, you'll be overloaded with such stories.

Anyway, That's the last time I bought AVR with Manfacturer warranty, either I'd get it from abroad or will buy a reliable grey market person (who'd give seller warranty too). My imported denon x2200w costed 40k, which costs 75k with bill and warranty, I'm covered even if it were to need a paid repair.

My advice would be is to buy a high end AVR above 50k (with relatively premium components which don't fail ) and Use a APC Backup & surge protection without fail. The imported systems are better IMHO.

@drkrack So this APC backup unit has a built in surge protector as well right ?
Not all outputs, only the first two have surge protection I think, my knowledge of this is limited, I just bought the one suggested by the best service person in the business.

The backup of the one I have isn't great, but you'd turn it off anyway (who'd listen to the beep of ups) so doesn't matter I think.

Cool. Thanks a ton for the suggestion man. I didn't have any of this mind before I was going to pick up the YHT 1810. Guess I will have to factor this APC UPS in to my budget now.

Cool. Thanks a ton for the suggestion man. I didn't have any of this mind before I was going to pick up the YHT 1810. Guess I will have to factor this APC UPS in to my budget now.
There's one more thing (pun intended)
Check the earthing connection of your socket connected to AVR, it matters for HDMI issues over the long run. AVR is a sensitive piece of equipment, a friend of mine used to get a brief Flicker on the screen every time any major appliance was operated anywhere in the house. Some experts in the forum might be able to guide us better.

The premium AVR products use very good quality components, they'd fail less often. Even the Manfacturers have two lineups for the same reason eg. RX series of Yamaha vs Premium Avantage series. In my experience, systems bought in countries with robust consumer protection laws perform some what better, over the products bought in India. (this applies not only to AVR, laptops, mobiles, Apple products also).

Listening & maintaining a premium audio gear is a expensive hobby its pretty addictive, it becomes very much expensive if you are a perfectionist, be sure before you pursue.

@Sandiipk

Well, since I "reset" my HT it seems to be stable... it sometimes shuts off when voltage fluctuates or power cut and switchover to my inverter but I can then immediately switch it on.

After "resetting" it, I had pressed some buttons on the menu (don't remember what I did) and maybe that DISABLED the voltage protection circuit or something :D

So far (fingers crossed and touch wood) it seems to be stable for a long time...
I also did the same to overcome the issue. But how to reactivate the protection circuit again.

I also did the same to overcome the issue. But how to reactivate the protection circuit again.

Don't know how, gotta read through that manual again I guess.

No idea if the protection circuit in mine is working or not, but my AVR has shut down a couple of times since this thread, during power voltage fluctuations so I assume it's doing its job.

Hi guys, hope you are doing great!
I have an important update on Yamaha YHT 196 and other similar series.

The root cause of "not starting" problem what I believe is there is little amount of power passed through our sound input cables.
Like if you are using HDMI input from a setup box or laptop which is charging, I am sure your HT will be shut down and locked, that your technician will charge 6K bucks to unlock. (its my personal experience here in Pune)
So
1. I am not using input sourceTV or Set up box,
2. I plug HDMI cables to laptop only when it is charge, not while charging.
3. Through mobile, I use 3.5mm Jack to connect, however sound quality degrades a bit but I am tension free :)

stabilizer doesn't plays a big role to lock the HT, I think, it can handle power fluctuations, main culprits are sound input cables.

Since one year I haven't faced any problem.

HTH
Regards,
Sandip

Back