Yet Another EMU 1212 M PCI Sound Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obi-Wan

Adept

1.Note - Your PC must have a ground/earth wire connection to use this card. Yes that green wire labelled N.

2. Yes it works with Windows XP/Vista/7 both 32 and 64 bit versions

For Sale !

• Product Name, Manufacturers code & URL:

Emu 1212M PCI 24-Bit/192kHz Balanced Interface (Windows)

• Expected Price: Rs 4500/- NON NEGOTIABLE
  • Time of Purchase: Dec/Jan 2010
  • Indian warranty valid/Remaining Warranty period: No. Purchased through KMD. He is MIA.
  • Reason for Sale: No board with a PCI slot.
  • Purchase Invoice Available: Nope
  • Product Condition: Mint condition. This was the extra card i purchased. Never used.

• Accessories Included: Original box, manual, cables.
  • Product Location: Faridkot, Punjab
  • Preferred Courier: DTDC only
  • Shipping Charges: Free

• Payment Options: Bank transfer

Reveiw

Emu 1212m Review

Emulator X Studio

This is by all means better than the prosumer cards (xonar/audigy/etc) available today.

From the review -

Rightmark's Audio Analyser provided some of the best results that I've measured to date. It reported a flat frequency response, with -0.5dB points at a low 7Hz and 20.5kHz at 24-bit/44.1kHz, a low THD of 0.0009 percent, and an exceptionally wide dynamic range of 118dBA — a good 10dB better than the Mia, which is one of the quieter soundcards around.

-----------------

For those who dont knw, Echo MIA has been one of te best cards in market , shattering M audio's all PCI cards except for 1010 (not LT , the full rack version) and EMU beats Echo , though not the new Audiofire 12 card which costs way too more.

2wc3zg9.jpg

21r61c.jpg

My own RMAA Analysis

21jxc86.jpg

Didnt get what the ports are actually. How is this card for headphones (3.5mm jack AD700) and analog speakers (2.1 and 5.1). Any how is the gaming SQ ? sorry, but i seem to be totally noob on seeing this card :ashamed:

Pic 1 (from bottom) MIDI In, Midi Out, Analog R out, Analog L Out, Analog R in, Analog R in.

Pic 2 (from bottom) Optical In, Optical Out, Coax In, Coax Out, Proprietary connection to dock (not used in this card).

You cannot use headphones directly with this card, a headphone amp is required.

cranky said:
Pic 1 (from bottom) MIDI In, Midi Out, Analog R out, Analog L Out, Analog R in, Analog R in.

Pic 2 (from bottom) Optical In, Optical Out, Coax In, Coax Out, Proprietary connection to dock (not used in this card).

You cannot use headphones directly with this card, a headphone amp is required.

you CAN . No headphone amp is needed.

You just a cable to do that. you can build one yourself.
dOm1naTOr said:
Didnt get what the ports are actually. How is this card for headphones (3.5mm jack AD700) and analog speakers (2.1 and 5.1). Any how is the gaming SQ ? sorry, but i seem to be totally noob on seeing this card :ashamed:

its a 2-in 2-out card in terms of analog inputs/outputs. unless your speakers have SPDIF, you can't use 5.1

sound quality is just awesome. i don't need to say a word. the benches speak for themselves. i used the other card in my gaming rig and yet another one in my HTPC.

The cable/ adapter -

3.5 female to two 1/4 mono (separate L and R) . I can make one for the buyer but you have to purchase connectors from any electrical shop. not available in my city. Its a piece of cake anyway. you / your local electronic shop can create one as long a soldering iron and connectors are there

khushalvyas said:
what is the bundled software >>

nothing fancy. .

In the Box...

E-MU 1010 PCI card

E-MU 0202 I/O daughter card

I/O card cable

Mini-DIN MIDI adapter cables

Quick Start guide

Operation Manual on CD-ROM

Creative Professional Software CD-ROM

-Windows 2000 and XP Drivers

-E-MU PatchMix DSP

-E-MU E-DSP FX Library

Audio software package on CD-ROM

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

More on how to connect headphone to the card -

This cable is available almost everywhere in India -

3.5 female to 2x RCA Male (i know the image link's title is wrong)

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/359387194/3_5mm_Male_to_Dual_RCA_Female.jpg

You need to cut the RCA (Red and White) connectors and attach two of these and insert in the sound card. The other end (3.5 female in the picture above) will accept your headphone's cable -

TRS mono or 1/4 Mono

p1899.jpg

you CAN . No headphone amp is needed.

You just a cable to do that. you can build one yourself.

Actually the opamps used in the card as default do not properly drive phones.

You can use a cable for the connection sure enough, but there is simply not enough current in the output to go beyond a reasonable level.

OTOH, it works OK for basic needs.

Also, advise is to use TRS ('stereo') instead of TS as your picture shows. TS jack will short-circuit the cold side of the output, and the card sounds really bad this way (compared to having it floating). You can leave the cold end (ring) unconnected.

Good Luck with your sale, it's a great card at a very good price :)

umm the card has 1/4 mono outputs so why use a stereo? i have been using the same for my gaming rig. no problem so far. the card does sound really bad if you dont have a ground connection, as mentioned in the first post.

never used any other headphones with this soundcard besides the Q40 and AKG's but you are right about the OPAMPS. if i am not mistaken they had a driver issue with windows vista and 7 and the output was pretty low. they fixed it in the newer drivers.

thanks for the inputs btw :)

the card is on hold for khushalvyas

Sorry for the threadjack, but scroll down to the "Tip/ring/sleeve" section in this page:

TRS connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1212m, unlike many other cards, has a fully balanced output. Both the hot and cold sides are driven by the opamp (it's a dual opamp), and when you short one end out the THD goes up by a factor of 6-8dB. This is because you are putting maximum load on the cold end. Try and switch to a TRS and see the difference. The middle (ring) connection can be floating (not connected). When you use a TS connector the metal of the ground prong shorts out the cold end.

So yes, each output is individually mono but has active signal on all three prongs of the connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back