Yet another invasion of Privacy by the GoI

So, the GoI now wants to build its own Cambridge Analytica alternative so that they can find out how many people watch Hindu Spiritual Channels and how many Islam and Christian Channels. They can further divide us on the basis of our caste, language by slicing and dicing the data that we all will be forced to share for the pleasure of viewing TV. Bloody hell they should first link all Voter IDs with Aadhaar and think of these bullshit schemes.

https://www.ndtv.com/opinion/modi-g...-by-yashwant-sinha-1844270?pfrom=home-opinion

Ironically, this would have been difficult earlier, but now, the Cable and DTH providers are going to setup return path which will help in doing the same.

Also, I find it funny that you are posting about this, do you still use Facebook?

Nothing compared to this Aadhar enabled dashboard where a govt can search for all the people in an area that belong to a particular caste or religion. Thankfully, the state is not BJP ruled.

https://www.huffingtonpost.in/2018/...ority-family-in-ap-with-one-click_a_23419643/

During the Godhra riots, the attackers apparently got hold of electoral rolls and used them to locate Muslim households to attack.

In any case, who is going to watch the garbage that pass of as religious and spiritual channels. Probably, not even the extremely religious people if they have any sanity left.

Ironically, this would have been difficult earlier, but now, the Cable and DTH providers are going to setup return path which will help in doing the same.

Also, I find it funny that you are posting about this, do you still use Facebook?

I have been a facebook member since more years than I can recall. How many messages I might posted: May be 2 or 3 b'day wishes / year. How shares, likes and forwards: 0. Yes, I still use facebook because some of the closed groups I am part of is on Facebook and there is no other alternative as of now.

Nothing compared to this Aadhar enabled dashboard where a govt can search for all the people in an area that belong to a particular caste or religion. Thankfully, the state is not BJP ruled.

https://www.huffingtonpost.in/2018/...ority-family-in-ap-with-one-click_a_23419643/

During the Godhra riots, the attackers apparently got hold of electoral rolls and used them to locate Muslim households to attack.

In any case, who is going to watch the garbage that pass of as religious and spiritual channels. Probably, not even the extremely religious people if they have any sanity left.

I was just kidding when I said religious channels but there in fact is a sizable audience who do. In fact, if an elderly person your household is watching a TTD Bakhthi channel then it is presumable that all of the household members are Hindus. It is not required that all 4 or 5 of them need to watch this channel everyday. Also, this kind of return path enables the govt to get hold of what your political leanings are based on the News channels you watch and what programs and debates you have watched and skipped.

So, the GoI now wants to build its own Cambridge Analytica alternative so that they can find out how many people watch Hindu Spiritual Channels and how many Islam and Christian Channels. They can further divide us on the basis of our caste, language by slicing and dicing the data that we all will be forced to share for the pleasure of viewing TV. Bloody hell they should first link all Voter IDs with Aadhaar and think of these bullshit schemes.

https://www.ndtv.com/opinion/modi-g...-by-yashwant-sinha-1844270?pfrom=home-opinion
Yashwant like Shourie have been sidelined by the BJP and now making their own noise. I'd be sceptical of what these two say. Given the positions they held and stature they are sought after

It should also be noted that a series of broadcasters have complained formally to BARC about the system being easily rigged and manipulated. Some arrests have been made for those involved with tampering with meters.
Those are the people that want better data.

But for this to be accurate, each set-top box will require to be fitted with a unique identifier, and this is where the catch is.
Is this unique identifier mapped to any identity ?

Or is it just like some MAC addr that is unique for the purposes of data collection. If its an IP network then this info is already available with anything that connects to the internet

If there is no way to identify the owner via the unique identifier then this whole scare is nothing but hot air.

It is compounded further if the party in power acquires a monopoly over it. Let us not forget that it is in the nature of state authority to be intrusive and curtail the right to privacy of its citizens. This has been happening over the ages. Strong democratic movements in various parts of the world have put checks and balances on the right of state to invade the privacy of its citizens. But the struggle goes on.
And it will continue

It is important to remember that while TRPs are important for advertising products for marketing purposes, one has to be careful when such information is used or misused for political purposes. How do we ensure equality of opportunity for all concerned as far as sharing this information is concerned for political purposes? If it remains a state monopoly, then clearly the government of the day would have a comparative advantage. If it is available at a price, then the regulation of the price for its reasonableness becomes important.
all this data will do is show not WHO watched but HOW MANY watched WHAT and WHEN

Yashwant like Shourie have been sidelined by the BJP and now making their own noise. I'd be sceptical of what these two say. Given the positions they held and stature they are sought after
Why? What they say makes sense. They aren't giving you inside info that you cant verify. They say something, you can see the logic and decide yourself. I personally hold them both in high esteem. Distinguished thinkers from the right. But then Modi doesnt need thinkers, does he lmao./

Even right now, what they say makes more sense than most of the opposition. Modi is a disease. These guys are fighting it from the inside.

Why? What they say makes sense. They aren't giving you inside info that you cant verify. They say something, you can see the logic and decide yourself. I personally hold them both in high esteem. Distinguished thinkers from the right. But then Modi doesnt need thinkers, does he lmao./

What is their intent though ? to me they are like disgruntled employees

Shourie made his name in the early 90s as editor of IE, things change when they get into politics and likewise get sidelined

Yashwant was an RSS appointee, Vajpayee wanted Jaswant but RSS insisted on Yashwant but eventually and he got Jaswant. Now if Jaswant wants to say anything i'm listening. The man offered himself as guarantee in exchange for hostages in the hijacking. Seriously, which cabinet member anywhere in the world does this let alone an Indian one

If you want to read distinguished thinkers from the right, check out the swarajya magazine.

Even right now, what they say makes more sense than most of the opposition. Modi is a disease. These guys are fighting it from the inside.
Heh, so what you really mean is you agree with their agenda

Hell hath no fury like a pol spurned

all this data will do is show not WHO watched but HOW MANY watched WHAT and WHEN

That is the problem here. I will give you an example. There were no Municipal corporation elections in Hyderabad for a long time despite demands by the oppositions. Finally when the TRS govt came to power they decided to go for elections. They knew very well that they will lose most of the seats that are populated by Andhra people. Hence, what did they do? They got the demographic data by constituencies and split up and created the constituencies such that the population that does not vote for them are split up across constituencies which will result in their vote becoming insignificant. Eventually they managed to romp through the elections. At least, that is the popular theory. People from Hyderabad (non TRS supporters) can correct me.

The Trump campaign managers said that they will bring back the jobs for Coal workers. They said the mexicans are dangerous. They said the immigrants are stealing American jobs. They said China is out to ruin them. He said the Indian immigrants are the hardest working people in America and they made great contributions to American growth. Now if you have followed these things closely, each of these statements were made to different sets of audience. It is targeted campaigning to brainwash people to believe that Trump is the leader who can solve their problems but most of these do not really make it to the party manifesto. Where are jobs for the Coal workers? Where's the Border wall? What is he now doing to the H4 dependent visa holder with their jobs knowing fully well that Indians are going to be affected the most? During campaigning he wanted Indians, people who are traditionally democrats, to vote for him. Hence, his pandering to the Indian community during campaign. After the elections his agenda is completely different. He gives a shit to what he promised during his campaign. Thanks to Cambridge Analytica.

Now imagine what havoc the govts will unleash with the kind of data that they can get hold of. We as a society will become just numbers to be sliced and diced for the selfish needs of the politicians.

I have nothing against the BJP or the TRS government. It is just how they (mis)use the data at their disposal that worries me.

That is the problem here. I will give you an example. There were no Municipal corporation elections in Hyderabad for a long time despite demands by the oppositions. Finally when the TRS govt came to power they decided to go for elections. They knew very well that they will lose most of the seats that are populated by Andhra people. Hence, what did they do? They got the demographic data by constituencies and split up and created the constituencies such that the population that does not vote for them are split up across constituencies which will result in their vote becoming insignificant. Eventually they managed to romp through the elections. At least, that is the popular theory. People from Hyderabad (non TRS supporters) can correct me.
Its called gerrymandering they don't need tv data for this. Course this whole telangana BS is an exceptional situation not really applicable for the rest of the country

The Trump campaign managers said that they will bring back the jobs for Coal workers. They said the mexicans are dangerous. They said the immigrants are stealing American jobs. They said China is out to ruin them. He said the Indian immigrants are the hardest working people in America and they made great contributions to American growth. Now if you have followed these things closely, each of these statements were made to different sets of audience. It is targeted campaigning to brainwash people to believe that Trump is the leader who can solve their problems but most of these do not really make it to the party manifesto. Where are jobs for the Coal workers? Where's the Border wall? What is he now doing to the H4 dependent visa holder with their jobs knowing fully well that Indians are going to be affected the most? During campaigning he wanted Indians, people who are traditionally democrats, to vote for him. Hence, his pandering to the Indian community during campaign. After the elections his agenda is completely different. He gives a shit to what he promised during his campaign. Thanks to Cambridge Analytica.
One thing i will say about trump and that sets him apart from his predecssors is determined to do what he said during the polls. He says what he means and means what he says. he has a way of connecting with people in a very simple way.

I don't bother with what Trump does inside America. I don't extrapolate what Americans say about him to foreign dealings. It's pretty weird when US politics is more toxic than Pak politics. Where you have to second guess what Americans say about him. If they're negative i just ignore them. I want objective not partisan.

Never bothered with the liberal rags whose only agenda is to bash him all the time. NYT, Wapo, CNN (garbage!), MSNBC, ABC, all a load of rubbish. They are ten times worse than the liberal media in India. And i saw this already with them when Modi was elected. Most of what they said we should fear never happened. lol

Only sources i follow are the wirelines , PBS or NPR. I saved a lot of time during the campaign. I just listened to him when he spoke at the debates not what people said abut him and he came across pretty straight. In fact he's got to be the easiest president to translate into any langauge

I look only at how the US interacts with the world. And here i noticed the Indian defence analysts i followed had a positive impression of him. When ? last April. When he unveiled his south asia policy, they were vindicated. I say give the man a chance and am pleased with him so far. He could get a second term if the economy is doing well like Bush did.

Now imagine what havoc the govts will unleash with the kind of data that they can get hold of. We as a society will become just numbers to be sliced and diced for the selfish needs of the politicians.

I have nothing against the BJP or the TRS government. It is just how they (mis)use the data at their disposal that worries me.
I'm not going to imagine it, i want too see evidence of it first. Otherwise its just the usual speculative liberal fear mongering isn't it.

I've already pointed out the missing part in what you quoted. First confirm that

Probably what happened in Telangana is BS to you but not to me. If your view is so narrow there is really not much I can add. If you cannot see the danger in govts having the combined demographic data such as Ethnicity, Religion, Caste, Language, Economic Status, Religious preference / tolerance, Gender, Age etc, I give up.

BTW, the meaning of demographic is here.

One thing i will say about trump and that sets him apart from his predecssors is determined to do what he said during the polls. He says what he means and means what he says. he has a way of connecting with people in a very simple way.
Lmao if he thinks before he says and then does them, its great. If hes just ranting and shouting rhetoric, indulging in bigotry and false hoods and then basing policy on them, that's nothing really to be proud of. Its like praising hitler for campaigning against jews and then actually killing them after coming to power. :D

Lmao if he thinks before he says and then does them, its great. If hes just ranting and shouting rhetoric, indulging in bigotry and false hoods and then basing policy on them, that's nothing really to be proud of. Its like praising hitler for campaigning against jews and then actually killing them after coming to power. :D
He is his own biggest liability but his base isn't holding it against him yet. That's what he looks after. Everybody else can go to hell.

A lot of the time he's trolling the media back. Watch what he says he will do and what he gets done. There are checks and balances to keep him in control

By being unpredictable he's getting things moving without doing anything. i'll wait for his term to complete before judging him, he's only finished a year so far

I was keeping silent for a long time but can't any more. This statement of yours just invalidates anything you have said and probably will ever say. Ever. In the history of the universe. Screw the 'liberal' media and opinions of millions of people. If you just want to look beyond the facts and make up any BS excuses for the insane maniac that is Trump, you probably need to see a shrink yourself.

I'm sorry to be so blunt and maybe even rude, but dude, you are nowhere as smart as you think you are. More like delusional and willfully ignorant of facts. I just can't take anything you post seriously anymore.

I was keeping silent for a long time but can't any more. This statement of yours just invalidates anything you have said and probably will ever say. Ever. In the history of the universe. Screw the 'liberal' media and opinions of millions of people. If you just want to look beyond the facts and make up any BS excuses for the insane maniac that is Trump, you probably need to see a shrink yourself.

I'm sorry to be so blunt and maybe even rude, but dude, you are nowhere as smart as you think you are. More like delusional and willfully ignorant of facts. I just can't take anything you post seriously anymore.
Wilfully ignorant of opposition rhetoric ;)

Worked a treat in India, why not with the US ? you do need to second guess what americans tell you. I'm not buying what their media says

How shocked was the media when Trump won. Why were they shocked. Because they're crap!

And i will repeat again, the man can talk to anybody. Very easy to understand.

The guy is anti-establishment. He believes they are responsible fr the mess he has to deal with. That makes for a lot of people who hate him on both sides of the aisle

Does he make China squirm ?
Is he squeezing the Paks ?

Bush got bashed a lot too, they said he couldn't even speak english properly

Then he pushed for the nuke deal and all the negative just doesn't matter anymore

is trump good for India or not ? that is the only question i'm interested in. And so far it ain't looking too bad

Last edited:
Wilfully ignorant of opposition rhetoric ;)

Worked a treat in India, why not with the US ? you do need to second guess what americans tell you. I'm not buying what their media says

How shocked was the media when Trump won. Why were they shocked. Because they're crap!

And i will repeat again, the man can talk to anybody. Very easy to understand.

The guy is anti-establishment. He believes they are responsible fr the mess he has to deal with. That makes for a lot of people who hate him on both sides of the aisle

Does he make China squirm ?
Is he squeezing the Paks ?

Bush got bashed a lot too, they said he couldn't even speak english properly

Then he pushed for the nuke deal and all the negative just doesn't matter anymore

is trump good for India or not ? that is the only question i'm interested in. And so far it ain't looking too bad
Like mentioned above, go see a shrink. He's not squeezing anyone. He's a maniac who's actions have already affected millions. Its just that they havent reached you yet. Knowing you, you'll probably make up some rationale for when they do. Its only a matter of time before he ****s up things irreversibly. As for India guess you're willfully ignorant or plain uninformed about the Visa situation and his remarks on deficit or the Paris agreement regards to india. Please dont just start saying shit without knowing any ****ing thing. I know you like to banter, but this is serious shit.

Its only a matter of time before he ****s up things irreversibly.
More opposition rhetoric

If you haven't figured it out yet. Follow publications that can explain what the incumbent is doing, once you do that if you want look at the opposition. Don't lead with what the opposition is saying. They don't matter. Brains!

He's not squeezing anyone.
Tell that to China & the Paks ;)

As for India guess you're willfully ignorant or plain uninformed about the Visa situation and his remarks on deficit or the Paris agreement regards to india. Please dont just start saying shit without knowing any ****ing thing. I know you like to banter, but this is serious shit.
And is the visa situation final ?
http://thehill.com/policy/technology/385288-tech-relishes-role-as-trump-antagonist

I don't believe in global warming, have said this before here. He won't do anything until we and china cut down. Well the plan was those countries would give us the tech to become more efficient. Something to the tune of $4 billion, only a billion arrived the rest is missing. Trump isnt interested in paying that bill. Guess what we don't need to worry about green and go build more coal fired plants. In fact the AIDB will help with that.

I love how your only challenge is to my knowledge. A form of personal attack. Means you got no ammo :D

From what position of authority ? i follow world affairs for over ten years on def boards. I spar with the left and the right here and over there. Fight on two fronts. That is what any free citizen ought to be doing

Last edited:
Trump is an idiot who has no idea what he is doing or going to do. He is a guy who ran for president just for kicks, but somehow managed to win due to a mix of factors and playing the buffoon for what he is worth. He has no strategy or policy and he won't let anybody help him with that either. He is just a spoiled brat who has US and world as his playground to break things.

I mean, he is the guy that wants to tax amazon because he thinks they are causing a massive loss to the USPS by giving them huge amount of business.

The only good service he will ever do for India is if/when he manages to throw out a vast majority of the worthless Indians swatting in US.

Trump is an idiot who has no idea what he is doing or going to do. He is a guy who ran for president just for kicks, but somehow managed to win due to a mix of factors and playing the buffoon for what he is worth.
Heh, if he won by playing the bufoon then more credit to him because the rest were worse. He won with $1 billion less in the war chest than Hillary. I thought money won elections. People voted for him because they're tired of fork tongued establishment types lying to them. He's in office because ordinary people there are hurting and they trust he will do something about it. He will probably the first of a trend to follow.

He wn because the democrats got 3 million votes in California. You don't need 3 million to go from 54 to 55 in the electoral college, had those 3 million been distributed across the country then the democrats would have won.

We've given China half a trillion in trade in the last ten years. The Americans do that annually. Clearly this is unsustainable. For some reason our drugs sell well elsewhere but are no good in China. This guy wants to change that. China isn't a market economy it still has many elements of a command economy. Giving them access to the WTO was supposed to open things up there. Guess what it hasn't happened yet and instead we end up with a China that should have been benign ending up becoming a challenger to world order.

China wants a unipolar Asia. They do not think we matter. Like i said i see a guy squeezing both our adversaries and that makes him net positive in my books

He has no strategy or policy and he won't let anybody help him with that either. He is just a spoiled brat who has US and world as his playground to break things.
He isn't going to show the world his hand. This guy comes from Queens, he made it real estate and he's used to dealing with gangsters and all sorts. If he could get through a pool of 13 and win and go on to be a president, he is clearly no idiot.

Spend more time with people who don't hate him, you'll get a better idea of what he wants to do. Whether he can do it is another question.

Back