You should download open matte version of movies. [ AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS!!! ]

Regular blu-ray movies have black bars on top and bottom, as their aspect ratio is 21:9. Open matte : aspect ratio is 16:9 . Same as any standard monitor or TV . In open matte content is not cropped out. There is simply more in open matte releases.

Picture says :
bfor5b0lldj31.png

Right part is Blu ray. Left is from open matte. Note that Open matte aren't stretched movies. They are movies with more content on top and bottom, instead of black bars. Some release remove content from sides though.

Besides just looking better on TV, this can really really affect the movie. Did you know captain and thor were present in iron man's speech ? In the standard theatre and blu ray version their heads were cropped out. They are only visible in IMAX and open matte versions ! insane.
D8zf5MjWsAU84Qw.jpg

Finding open matte:
Unfortunately open matte isn't popular. I guess most people simply don't know about them. Several are on the bay. Endgame, captain america, dr strange, blade runner 2049, alita, oblivion, mission impossible are more. Sometimes HDTV are 16:9 . Some iTunes releases are also 16:9 open matte. I am not sure how this works , when exactly they are 16:9
Some more comparisons:

Last edited:
Whole shit is created by the Movie industry just to appear different from the TV and create a hype.
First they started extending the frame length (to appear different from 4:3 ratio), now they are again hell bent on going back to square profile.

Idiots.
....and so will very soon we see comback of good old square monitors operating on default 1024 resolutions.

Whole shit is created by the Movie industry just to appear different from the TV and create a hype.
First they started extending the frame length (to appear different from 4:3 ratio), now they are again hell bent on going back to square profile.

Idiots.
I am almost done with movies. I really don't care about formats and stuff :) I just won't buy a TV again. A 24" Monitor will do for me.

With the mobiles moving towards 19:9, 21:9 will be better to watch than 16:9 which would be better on TV.

Honestly, what comes on Netflix/Prime/Hotstar/etc - hope its watchable.

Back