Your Experience with OLX/Quikr?

VeryVeryVeryVeryVeryVeryVeryVery BAD Service for Paid Services on olx...

I purchased two services for 3 Feathered add and 5 same category adds but the adds didn't go live.

They are simply looting the money from customers.

Feeling to file case of Fraud against OLX.:(

Not this forum, but olx.
Had posted a FS for my 2015 MBA that had 600+ battery cycle but very good condition overall. I was optimistically expecting close to 35k having gauged price across various placesz but was willing to accept around 30k if the offer and person was genuine.

If there were 10 offers I received, 8 were close to 20k or under!

I maintain a simple thing - if seller mentions price is firm, and you are not satisfied with that price, move on, look for another stuff elsewhere. Do not bother until and unless you want it that price, and maybe if you're courteous and good enough, the seller could take off 2-5% at the time of dealing.

Coming back to the MBA, a buyer offered 32k and was willing to come at my office, check the entire stuff, if satisfied would buy at that price. It was a comfort I embrace and would be willing to take a marginally lower price.
Dude was nice, a 1st year grad who needed a MacBook for online classes and other stuffs, he was upgrading from a 2012 model.
Now that's a place most of us have been through, and when he was handing over the cash to me, I took 30k from him and both of us were satisfied with the deal.

There would be a hundred similar tales I've witnessed over the past decade across various platforms, however, the ones with the lowballs are peculiarly sick!

If I expect 30k firm for a particular item, I'm willing to accept 500-2k lower depending on various circumstances and to discount further future hassles with crazy customers.

A final word, much like propagated in Bollywood movies where the heroine's pleas of NO's are only considered as postponing the inevitable, people across various platforms think the same applies here as well - kabhi to maanega apna offer!

Quikr & OLX in 2021 [ Confined to experience of trying to sell computers/ laptops /. ]
P.S. I am trying to sell a laptop at the moment so my experiences are fresh.

Quikr in September 2021 is at worse a scam and at best an idea that has failed. In an ideal world, somebody would shut down into their Bangalore office and they would issue refunds to people for mental harassment. Having said that, I did sell a laptop through Quikr 2-3 years ago but as of now it is a strict no-no.

OLX used to be decent once upon a time but now it has been taken over by small business owners who sell laptops in tier 2-3 cities. There modus operandi is simple. Pose as a regular customer ( not business), Buy laptops at the cheapest price possible and resell it at their own shop locally. Because of this crowd you'll will never get a bid on a laptop which will exceed 25k-26k. Usually not more than 20k.

Apart from the usual problem of fraudelent and spammy customers, the above is one of the main reasons that you can never hope to get a decent price for your computer on these platforms. Having sold products on both OLX & quikr in the past, it is sad to see that for all practical purposes there are now negligle options to sell used computers in the Indian market. You have options like Cashify who will offer you prices that will leave you wondering whether to cry or go on a road rage.

I have tried their paid packages too which promise to "feature" your ad but the science behind it seems dubious to me. In my case, while I did get more responses, but as mentioned above they were all from small business guys or people doing timepass.
In conclusion, my understanding is that you can still cheaper products such as tablets on Olx but laptops and PCs can be a waste of time and energy.

I bought several items from Olx in past few years. Never faced any problem. The keyword is to have due diligence.

Recently I bought a Note 20 Ultra in pristine condition within warranty, a sealed galaxy buds pro with invoice, a 2 month old Mi Mop in warranty and a sealed galaxy watch active with invoice at considerable discount.

As a buyer Olx is a good platform but you have to cautiously filter out the scammers and remember the golden rule that If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is isn't.

Quikr & OLX in 2021 [ Confined to experience of trying to sell computers/ laptops /. ]
P.S. I am trying to sell a laptop at the moment so my experiences are fresh.

You just need to have more patience man. And only deal via chat in the beginning so that you can remove all lowballers.

You just need to have more patience man. And only deal via chat in the beginning so that you can remove all lowballers.
Why did you assume I don't / didn't have patience? :) I am in my second month of posting right now. Today is my 42nd day on the platform. Still waiting patiently for a proper deal. But jokes apart, I get your point. Thanks.

Update: After spending almost 2 months on Olx, finally disabled my ad. In this period I got what seemed like 3 genuine offers and rest were just salespersons who wanted to buy cheap and sell at a higher price themselves. Will I try Olx in the future to sell laptops? Yes, probably simply because the existing options are even worse than Olx. Will I be confident about making a sale? No.

I have a question regarding purchasing stuff on OLX...

Lets say you and the seller are at different locations in India (different States). Seller has clearly mentioned on his OLX Ad that he is open to shipping the product within India. In this scenario, how then do you handle the payment? Do you pay the seller before he ships the product and say your prayers that he doesn't cheat you? How to go about it?

Yes, I had a good experience selling my Graphics card. However that was a local seller. Be careful about the place where you meet, also about the payment.
Thats it.

Lets say you and the seller are at different locations in India (different States). Seller has clearly mentioned on his OLX Ad that he is open to shipping the product within India. In this scenario, how then do you handle the payment? Do you pay the seller before he ships the product and say your prayers that he doesn't cheat you? How to go about it?
I would never pay anyone in Olx even a paisa in advance. You can say goodbye to your money. Best is if the seller is really desperate then ask him to ship, check when you receive and then pay. Otherwise if it's an option, get a friend to purchase it locally and then ship it to you.

Find a way to move the conversation off OLX to a chat app like Whatsapp. I usually ask for contact number, because OLX censors every variation of the spelling of "Whatsapp" and other apps. Once on Whatsapp, I ask for photos, videos and once price/shipping is confirmed then I ask for a Photo ID and I preemptively provide my own, usually the driver's license. Then I pay in advance since most of the times I resort to OLX because I absolutely need what I'm looking for and other alternatives wouldn't do. Most people are alright with shipping through courier but one person asked me to arrange for a pick up. Sometimes shipping is delayed by a few days because they get busy.

I try and find resellers of the hardware I'm interested in and I speak to them directly on Whatsapp whenever I need a motherboard or processor or memory modules. One example is this person: https://www.olx.in/profile/76727217 I've purchased maybe a dozen motherboards from him but two of them died within six months during the lockdown and there's no warranty so there is always that risk. The most amount of money I've sent to a seller in advance was probably 15k for 8 sticks of 8GB DDR3 memory and only because the person own a cloud computing institute and looked reputable. If it's more than 10k, I usually work out the possibility of sending someone on a night bus, or going myself.

However the best way is to find a friend or trusted forum member in that city and ask them to purchase on your behalf and then arrange a courier pickup from their address. The legality of this is questionable in the west, they call it a Straw purchase. That's why you'll see it being common place for people in the west to drive across state lines to buy a server rack or liquidated hard drives or a GPU.

Few days back I was selling and old processor & motherboard combo on OLX, at the end of the deal I got messages from 41 different Olx users for that deal, 17 low ballers, 6 scammers (Ill send you the barcode scam), 7 interested people, 11 didn't reply back after 1 or two messages. Mumbai.

Always be careful about your money. do video calls to see the product. and if you have even a slight feeling of distrust, avoid the item and seller. Talk with the seller a lot through whatsapp or facebook and try to know how much he know about the item and other things. Try to do payment only after shipping. Try to get the phone number of the courier office he will be using and verify the weight of the box.

Thank-you everyone for sharing your input regarding this, very helpful. I guess it's best to steer clear of sellers outside my city. Just far too many factors to take into account and headaches that I don't really want.

Back