Your Router

TP Link 740N with a 840N as wireless repeated. The 740N covers almost my entire house, but with the addition of the 840 nearly in the centre of the house, its full covered.

Mine is almost the same as yours :)

ACT 150Mbps, Airtel 40Mbps -> Custom pfSense box -> Netgear R7000 + TP-Link RE450 repeater

Going to replace with Netgear Orbis on both the floors soon.

Actually I did try commercial load balancers before going the two router way. The load balancers just couldn't deal with the data when the connection was maxed out and would throttle bandwidth. Your approach of putting pfsense on an old pc makes more sense I guess.

Like you I am using an old Asus 11n router as a switch and repeater. Does the job though it can't do ac.

Planning to switch over to ubiquiti semi pro hardware soon so that coverage is better.

Actually I did try commercial load balancers before going the two router way. The load balancers just couldn't deal with the data when the connection was maxed out and would throttle bandwidth. Your approach of putting pfsense on an old pc makes more sense I guess.

Like you I am using an old Asus 11n router as a switch and repeater. Does the job though it can't do ac.

Planning to switch over to ubiquiti semi pro hardware soon so that coverage is better.

Actually, if properly configured, most load balancers will be able to throttle data usage properly, especially for torrents. However, most entry level ones lack the proper configuration settings. Hence, pfsense is the best for this.

I agree, plus the cost benefit and customization offered by pfSense makes it a no brainer for a home setup. I'm actually using one of those J1900 based quad Intel LAN boxes from aliexpress. I must admit I'm not using a large no. of packages in pfSense, but even with both connections maxed out, the pfSense box doesn't break a sweat.

My gripe with the repeater setup is the drop in speeds, which would be solved to a large extent by a mesh setup.

What's the logic behind it ?

You mean the logic of merging 2 connections? - to be able to have two connections serve a single LAN/Wifi network and have traffic load balanced over them or sent out on the basis of rules.

3 LAN ports are needed on the router - 2 to receive the internet connections and 1 to feed your LAN.

Back