Your thoughts on the BJP's govt. claim of "Every village in the country has been electrified."

More costly compared to what ? scrubbers remove those toxic particles. We have growing power needs. Supply has to grow to meet demand.

Fancy Utopian whim..!! as always I wish I could be as +ve as you.. but then reality whacks me on my butt cheeks! Ouch!!:eek:

From wiki:
"World organizations and international agencies, like the IEA, are concerned about the environmental impact of burning fossil fuels, and coal in particular. The combustion of coal contributes the most to acid rain and air pollution, and has been connected with global warming. Due to the chemical composition of coal there are difficulties in removing impurities from the solid fuel prior to its combustion. Modern day coal power plants pollute less than older designs due to new "scrubber" technologies that filter the exhaust air in smoke stacks; however emission levels of various pollutants are still on average several times greater than natural gas power plants. In these modern designs, pollution from coal-fired power plants comes from the emission of gases such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and sulfur dioxide into the air."

Last edited:
More costly compared to what ? scrubbers remove those toxic particles. We have growing power needs. Supply has to grow to meet demand.

We have lots of coal and its high time we used it. AIIB allows us to get around WB refusing loans for coal projects

The article is right in calling out the renewables portion. Aspiring to generate that much and actually meeting that target are two very different propositions

Compared to solar. The same page you linked shows solar cost at 2.30 per watt and coal is like double that at 4.60 per watt. You can have everything like scrubbers etc but you forget that govt people run it. So zero money for maintenance or upkeep of anything to do with environment or the plant itself. Most of the money goes to pay monthly salaries of workers and for the low quality coal. Nothing is going to remove anything from the air if its not working. How much has the scrubbers you mention even reduced pollution around coal plants today? If you want your kids to breathe toxic air keep taking the govt's side. The govt is full of ignorant morons who live for today and don't care for tomorrow. Your kids / grand kids will be the one breathing all the toxic particles everyday of your lives.

The PM is actually pushing for renewable energy like solar power instead of coal if you heard some of his last speeches. He's been pushing for 200+ GW solar plants.

We have lots of coal but its quality is bad. Coal has a tendency to ignite fires. Just search for coal fires in West Bengal and how some mines are still burning there for years and years and still producing toxic fumes 24/7.

I don't agree with the article. It looks like its been put together by some vested interests or ignorant people.

Can't run away from coal just yet

http://www.rediff.com/business/interview/india-cannot-survive-without-coal/20150318.htm

if you look at the bigger energy picture, the bulk of your electricity will continue to come from fossil fuels. You will be adding capacities in solar and wind. But first of all you must remember that five megawatt capacity put up, say, in solar or wind is equal to one megawatt capacity put in coal. That’s the difference due to plant load factors. So if you’re seeking the same generation, forget about base load and everything.

If you’re looking at the same generation from renewables, you’re investing five times in capacity than you would be investing in fossil fuels. India’s energy demand is not at peak as yet and if you see an expansion, then you will definitely see coal capacities rising, not falling. Renewables will rise very fast as well. But as I said, they need to run five times faster.

You can have everything like scrubbers etc but you forget that govt people run it. So zero money for maintenance or upkeep of anything to do with environment or the plant itself. Most of the money goes to pay monthly salaries of workers and for the low quality coal. Nothing is going to remove anything from the air if its not working. How much has the scrubbers you mention even reduced pollution around coal plants today? If you want your kids to breathe toxic air keep taking the govt's side. The govt is full of ignorant morons who live for today and don't care for tomorrow. Your kids / grand kids will be the one breathing all the toxic particles everyday of your lives.
We have one in MP and two coming up in Telangana :)

https://www.ge.com/reports/spring-cleaning-world-scrubbing-coal-power-plants-toxic-gas/

Reply to bolded bit is nothing! because we're not using scrubbers to date as it adds extra cost and there is no way to pass that on to the consumer. Despite the govt in 2015 tightening air quality stds after two decades and bringing them to international levels

https://thewire.in/business/why-indias-deadly-coal-power-plants-continue-polluting

Not ignorant morons, power sector saw that scrubbers cost and decided to drag their feet because there is no way to avoid the cost once scrubbers are installed. So the govt has to come up with adequate financing schemes. In the meantime they have extended the deadline to 2022 now and even that is proving problematic, see below

Last edited:
Fancy Utopian whim..!! as always I wish I could be as +ve as you.. but then reality whacks me on my butt cheeks! Ouch!!:eek:

From wiki:
"World organizations and international agencies, like the IEA, are concerned about the environmental impact of burning fossil fuels, and coal in particular. The combustion of coal contributes the most to acid rain and air pollution, and has been connected with global warming. Due to the chemical composition of coal there are difficulties in removing impurities from the solid fuel prior to its combustion. Modern day coal power plants pollute less than older designs due to new "scrubber" technologies that filter the exhaust air in smoke stacks; however emission levels of various pollutants are still on average several times greater than natural gas power plants. In these modern designs, pollution from coal-fired power plants comes from the emission of gases such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and sulfur dioxide into the air."

What fancy utopian whim ?

In India’s energy basket, how important is coal?

You cannot survive without coal. Two-thirds of our electricity comes from coal. Coal is the most important in our energy basket. Without coal there is no energy security for India. You can keep talking about everything else. But until you wean the country away and move into diversifying the energy basket, coal will be important. And diversification is really, really far away -- the problem that exists in coal, exists in many other sectors of the energy industry.

So you do not have primary fuel availability. It is only coal that you have in plenty and hence have a huge capacity which is based on coal.

Energy security is the prime imperative here. This is why we've not moved much on nuclear. Without membership to the NSG fuel supplies can be at risk

Scrubbers are being offered at attractive prices these days

https://www.powerengineeringint.com...5/issue-3/features/bring-on-the-boomtime.html

Last edited:
What is the situation today as far as compliance with the more stringent air quality std introduced in Dec 2015 ?

As of Dec 2017 because they were given two years...
analysis of the RPC plans shows a dismal picture. First, very few plants are expected to comply in the next three years; the vast majority are asking for 4-5 years of extension. Second, even these weak plans don’t seem credible as they are not based on evaluation of progress made by plants and current status or detailed project planning. There are neither any firm commitments by plants nor have the regulators proposed any penal action in case of another round of delays.

https://www.cseindia.org/no-room-for-delay-8481

From wiki:

Dude, a word of advice: don't bother trying to reason with this guy using logic, rationale or facts. He will dig up random stuff from the internet to justify his twisted worldview. He's clearly a blind bhakt. Many of us have given up trying.

The govt has met its target with electrifying the country. Now they have to work on supply. Coal is an important component in that mix.[DOUBLEPOST=1530904250][/DOUBLEPOST]
Dude, a word of advice: don't bother trying to reason with this guy using logic, rationale or facts. He will dig up random stuff from the internet to justify his twisted worldview. He's clearly a blind bhakt. Many of us have given up trying.
This is an advantage for me :)

I'm surprised the junta collapsed so quickly

Lightweights out, let the heavyweights enter

This is an advantage for me :)

I'm surprised the junta collapsed so quickly

Lightweights out, let the heavyweights enter

Everything that needs to be said about you, is easy to understand from here. "Advantage, Collapse, Lightweight - heavyweight." Its a game for you, need them 2 rs per message coming into the account.

Anyone engaging with you for a second, is a huge waste. (Before you ask this is a PSA)

Everything that needs to be said about you, is easy to understand from here. "Advantage, Collapse, Lightweight - heavyweight." Its a game for you, need them 2 rs per message coming into the account.

Anyone engaging with you for a second, is a huge waste. (Before you ask this is a PSA)
My posts speak for themselves. If you are unable to engage then that isn't my problem :)

You need to up your game[DOUBLEPOST=1530955913][/DOUBLEPOST]Load shedding is defined as four hours per cut for four consecutive days

Just because there isn't load shedding in your area does not mean uninterrupted power

Last edited:
That is literally what I said. lmao
Address the topic at hand. Play the ball not the player.[DOUBLEPOST=1530967870][/DOUBLEPOST]
Single government cannot take credit for this,this was done by multiple governments.
Govt can and has taken credit for finishing the job.Whether that has merit or not is another question. But on that simple point they have what they said they would do.

Now the next stage is supply. Govt saying we gave you a connection isn't enough by itself

Back