Youtube Streaming slowing down download

puns

Staff member
Super Mod
I recently shifted my airtel broadband v fibre to a new location. I am on 32 mbps plan.
Problems:

1. Slow youtube stream even on 480p on my laptop. almost no buffer.
2. whenever I youtube stream ( which is slow ), downloading on torrents or download manager goes down to 200 kb / sec. when I stop streaming, downloading speed increases to 2 to 3 MB/s.

All is well on mobile when I stream even on 1080Pp.
So I think the modem / router ( Huawei HG630 V2) or my airtel connection seems fine.

I updated my network adapter ( qualcomm atheros ar956x ), my windows is updated and Im running chrome. tried firefox too, same results. resinstalled them.
ran antivirus and malwarebytes too, no issues detected
Airtel guys are also not able to diagnose the problem.

Wonder whats the problem ?

Just did a diagnose on adapter and found an error.

Anything that pops up ?

Edit: After doing this Im on full speed of 28 mbps. Before this I was on 2 mbps ( on fast.com and speedtest )[DOUBLEPOST=1554706786][/DOUBLEPOST]Going into WLan diagnostics for modem router, im seeing lot of packet errors.

screenshot-192.168.1.1-2019.04.08-12-24-08.png

screenshot-192.168.1.1-2019.04.08-12-26-52.png

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    398.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
I would suggest to check drivers and windows services first, since this seems to be specific to your device. I am assuming that on LAN you were getting full speeds?

Just did a diagnose on adapter and found an error.

Maybe there is lot of WiFi interference in your new place (neighbours wifi clashing etc) - have you tried manually changing the wifi channel number or simply restarting the router to let it shift the channel to something else?

I would suggest to check drivers and windows services first, since this seems to be specific to your device. I am assuming that on LAN you were getting full speeds?

My laptop doesnt have LAN port, only wifi. All drivers are updated. I uninstalled and installed my wifi adapter with latest drivers from the company site. still same issue.

Maybe there is lot of WiFi interference in your new place (neighbours wifi clashing etc) - have you tried manually changing the wifi channel number or simply restarting the router to let it shift the channel to something else?

I changed the wifi channel number and it seems to have improved the speed but still only 11 mbps and not 24 mbps as it should be.
router has been restarted many times.

Update: I have a usb wifi adapter lying around which I am using and getting full speed around 900KB - 1MB/sec and 1080p streaming works fine on youtube. It seems to me the laptop wifi adapter is not good.

Last edited:
My laptop doesnt have LAN port, only wifi. All drivers are updated. I uninstalled and installed my wifi adapter with latest drivers from the company site. still same issue.

I changed the wifi channel number and it seems to have improved the speed but still only 11 mbps and not 24 mbps as it should be.
router has been restarted many times.

Update: I have a usb wifi adapter lying around which I am using and getting full speed around 900KB - 1MB/sec and 1080p streaming works fine on youtube. It seems to me the laptop wifi adapter is not good.

With this, it has become clear that the culprit would be the laptop's inbuilt wifi. I would suggest to delete the drivers completely and use older versions. Seen this with a Lenovo

Could you mention your laptop model/details?

With this, it has become clear that the culprit would be the laptop's inbuilt wifi. I would suggest to delete the drivers completely and use older versions. Seen this with a Lenovo

Could you mention your laptop model/details?

It's Asus Vivobook X407UA-BV420T 14-inch Laptop (7th Gen Intel Core i3-7020U/4GB/256GB SSD/Windows 10/Integrated Graphics)

I will install older version and report . It's qualcomm atheros ar956x adapter[DOUBLEPOST=1555042680][/DOUBLEPOST]Ive tried the older versions ( 2 or 3 of them ) but the problem is still there. I think I have to give up on the internal adapter.

So I have a 300 Mbps usb wifi adapter which is giving me 8 Mbps on usb 3.0 slot. Any recommendations for a higher speed adapter 600mbps or more to bump up the speed ? Im on 2.4 Ghz modem router ( Huawei Hg630 Adsl2 )

Last edited:
Repeating this as I havent been able to find an answer... @vivek.krishnan

So I have a 300 Mbps usb wifi adapter which is giving me 8 Mbps net speed on usb 3.0 slot. Any recommendations for a higher speed adapter 600mbps or more to bump up the speed ? Im on 2.4 Ghz modem router ( Huawei Hg630 Adsl2 )

Adding a new 600Mbps adapter on laptop will make no difference since your Huawei router can do max 300Mbps on two simultaneous channels. Even if you add 600 or 1300Mbps adapter, max you will get (if everything is okay) will be <300Mbps depending on distance from modem.

The reason you're getting just 8Mbps is the link negotiated between the router and your laptop usb adapter is single channel and probably B or G on 20MHz band. You will need to make changes in config for the usb adapter on laptop to make it connect on N band only to get 72+Mbps speeds if using single 20Mhz channel. To get 150+ Mbps speeds you will need really good coverage and both wifi modem and adapter should be N band and in 40MHz with both supporting multiple stream channels.

The Huawei supports mimo (multiple in multiple out) but has internal wifi antennas. You haven't mentioned the brand of usb wifi device.

Another reason could be the usb port is not giving enough power to the usb wifi card and that could be one reason your wifi card is getting low speeds. If you have a external powered usb port connect the wifi adapter to it and see if it makes a difference.

mine is the TP-Link TL-WN823N usb adapter. there is no tplink software to force to connect on N band.
attaching screenshot from huawei WLan settings.
Will see for the external powered usb port to see if its works better[DOUBLEPOST=1555852281][/DOUBLEPOST]so to get higher speeds, do I need to buy a new router ( 5 Ghz ) or usb adapter or both for the N band connection ?
my router and laptop are in same room so distance is small

Attachments

• screenshot-192.168.1.1-2019.04.21-18-27-50.png
    screenshot-192.168.1.1-2019.04.21-18-27-50.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 134
  • screenshot-192.168.1.1-2019.04.21-18-27-50.png
    screenshot-192.168.1.1-2019.04.21-18-27-50.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

So I have a 300 Mbps usb wifi adapter which is giving me 8 Mbps net speed on usb 3.0 slot. Any recommendations for a higher speed adapter 600mbps or more to bump up the speed ? Im on 2.4 Ghz modem router ( Huawei Hg630 Adsl2 )

You might need one that has an external antenna?

AFAIK, you will not be able to get anything more than 450Mbps (theoretical) on 2.4GHz.

In that 802.11 b/g/n drop down, see if you make it only n.

I think if you're using Windows, there should be some option in power settings to not sleep usb devices or some setting regarding network devices link speeds on battery. I don't remember where since I stopped using Windows.

You might need one that has an external antenna?

AFAIK, you will not be able to get anything more than 450Mbps (theoretical) on 2.4GHz.

In that 802.11 b/g/n drop down, see if you make it only n.

I think if you're using Windows, there should be some option in power settings to not sleep usb devices or some setting regarding network devices link speeds on battery. I don't remember where since I stopped using Windows.

only 'n' option is not there. there is b and g and b/g/n. Yes the setting is to not sleep usb devices and its on.
i checked online and tons of people have issue with this wifi card on lenovo and asus machines and its not fixable through driver updates or any setting.
I have a 32Mbps connection.

So are my options :
1. Replace internal wifi card ( not sure I want to do this ) ?
2. Replace usb adapter and modem router ?
3. Replace only modem router with 5 Ghz one ?
4. Replace only usb adapter with an external antenna one ?

If I have to buy, should I buy first the usb adapter and then see if there is bump in speed ? also do I have to use an external powered 3.0 usb device or laptop's port will do ?

Before spending money, I would suggest to be sure which device is the problem.

if you have any linux iso on usb,you can run it in live mode to make things clear - like if the internal wifi card or tplink adapter is the problem.

download Linux mint or Xubuntu and write it on a usb drive. You just need to restart the pc and run the linux os in live mode and the inbuilt drivers will work. the networking icon in status bar shows the wifi networks and devices. if both are connecting at less than 300Mbps speeds then the router is the problem. maybe that b/g/n is just b in reality or the router has problem in allowing full speeds to more than 1-2 devices. Like if your phone is connected at 72Mbps, it can't do the same to your pc due to bad software or hardware.

i had a very old 5Ghz router and i think the range is lower in 5Ghz than in 2.4Ghz. The bandwidth is higher and connection speeds is higher. You need to be in same room though. i stopped using 5Ghz after changing the router.
don't waste money on external powered usb device. i was just asking to see if you already have one. laptop port is more than enough.

Have you changed DNS? My Airtel acted weird until I switched to Google DNS.
Also the Airtel VDSL Router/WiFi is not great WiFi.

Yes I am on google dns. Yes the default device given by airtel seems blah. I might change to something else. What are you using or suggest ? @Lozil

Yes I am on google dns. Yes the default device given by airtel seems blah. I might change to something else. What are you using or suggest ? @Lozil

My Setup is as below.

Airtel Modem via Ethernet Cable -->WAN port of TD-W8970 --> Via LAN port of TD-W8970 to Cisco 24 port Unmanaged switch which gives me Gigabit LAN ports across my home.
For WiFi I am using TD-W8970.
Wi-Fi at home is primarily used by Mobile Phones, TV is connected via Ethernet so is PC. The Laptops use Wi-Fi and I have not faced issues which you are mentioning here.

Yes TD-W8970 is a ADSL Modem which I have repurposed here because it's Wi-Fi is better and LAN ports are Gigabit, Which gives me Gigabit transfer speeds across home.

What link speed do you see on the laptop for this adapter ?

I think its the errors that is slowing your effective throughput as it forces packets to be resent. There must be a mismatch somewhere

Back