Budget Above 25K Z1 or G2

Hi All,
My priorities are
1. Screen/display quality
2. Audio output (headphone out)
3. Battery life
4. portable
I am inclined towards G2 for its better battery life (surfing) and thin frame bezel look while both sport same spec except camera. I hate the look of z1 which is similar like other xperia z series phones.

So which one is a better buy considering my priorities and also suggest the best deal out there for the same.
As far as I know , this is the best deal I got :-
Lg G2 32GB - 35k Flipkart using HSBC card / 16gb- 32999 Indiatimes
Sony Z1 - 33.8K ebay
Mods : Feel free to edit accordingly to the format.

Last edited:
G2 would be my preference. It has good AOSP support too since its a close replica of Nexus 5.
Battery is the most important thing in a droid....Z1 does not have a great battery life.
Z1 has a great display, slightly better than G2, but the bezel kills it. AOSP support for Z1 is still starting now....but Sony has a very good reputation of releasing kernels.
Try both side by side in a store.....

Thanks for the suggestion. I have zeroed to G2 now but the best price I can find for 32GB variant is 36.8k at ebay. So , is there any better deals out there or can I expect any price drop within a month since its little bit of stretch in budget , can wait if there will be significant price drop(1k<).

Missed the flipkart cashback offer :(

are you looking for a new phone or are you open to mint condition phones too (imports) ? (available around ~28) (I am planning to get one of these)
For New:
Amazon had some good deals with grabberdeals and SBI cash back....
Look for ebay coupons 750 is available always, upto 2500 is available sometimes...will post here if I find any.

I am looking for new one only. I cant find any deal below 36k but that is also available only in black. Are there any coupons which will work on ebay deals? . Also , I am confused between black and white. I love white for premium feel but black looks classic. So any suggestions?

Just a heads up. I was in a similar dilemma of deciding the right color for myself. From a bit of owners survey, it seems like Black variant is a finger print magnet and but on the other hand white feels cheap. I went for black, as I plan to use it with a case (slim armor). I'm yet to receive my handset, as it is sourced from US via a friend. He will be personally carrying it to me late Feb.

I'd suggest get the one which is available at a lower price. With the thin bezel of G2, a good case is a must, you would'nt want to risk the screen cracking on such an expensive phone.
Color of the device becomes irrelevant when you put the case on.
^ The slim armor is a nice case. I liked the white variant in particular.[DOUBLEPOST=1391113610][/DOUBLEPOST]Ebay Coupon : 3DAYSALE30
Ref : http://deals.ebay.in/terms-and-conditions.html#promotions-tnc

Last edited:
Been using Z1 for a month . If we compare the design of both side by side then the z1 is the clear winner . No competition . I have a white Z1 .
Now for the issues . Z1 camera is crap , my note 2 had a better cam especially the led flash . It gets heated even while mundane tasks like browsing . Forget about HD gaming , it will get hotter then an electric iron within 7-10 mins. G2 also has some issues . My friends G2 is unable to maintain GPS position .Other then that its a better device then z1 if you dont want waterproofing .

I was in a similar dilemma of deciding the right color for myself. From a bit of owners survey, it seems like Black variant is a finger print magnet and but on the other hand white feels cheap. I went for black, as I plan to use it with a case (slim armor).
Main reason to go with black is a black bezel will give you more options when choosing case colour than white. Fewer colours go well with a white bezel. If you are going to use a white case then white is fine.

if you don't use a case then black is more discrete and white is more flash. Feeling cheap is more a function of material used than colour.

Now for the issues . Z1 camera is crap , my note 2 had a better cam especially the led flash .
Weren't you the guy who swore he would never buy another sony product again after something happened to his Z ?

Z1 takes great pics in manual. The proof is readily available in the xda photo thread. Least noisy pictures in lower light, use 8MP. Bright light, use 20MP. Set ISO as low as you can get it yes use manual iso. This is the only manual setting you need to use. 50-200 outdoors, upto 400 indoors. Try not to go higher if you can. SA is hit or miss. This is what everyone b**ches about, but those that used manual have been getting good photos since Oct.

When it comes to flash photos, the Z1 is the best performer according to Dxo when it comes to preserving colours. Beats the note 2 by a sizable margin. Maybe you mean the note 2 has a more powerful flash. This more powerful flash also blows out people's faces when they are closer. If you want to be fair & lovely then samsung will help you. As far as stills go the Z1 has an edge over the G2 in terms of low light as it can use a slower shutter. otherwise they are similar. With video Z1 is much better as G2 cannot produce usable low light video.

It gets heated even while mundane tasks like browsing . Forget about HD gaming , it will get hotter then an electric iron within 7-10 mins.
You might want to explore further why this is happening. Have not seen similar complaints.

As far as the OP is concerned G2 presently is a better fit. Or maybe wait for the Z1 compact. 4.3" IPS (HD only not Full HD) screen is smaller than 5 inchers so more battery life and more portable. other specs wise the Z1 compact is identical to the Z1.

Seems to me Z1 compact is the best fit for him.

Last edited:
@blr_p Yes i am the same guy . Fact that i am in love with the z1's design so took the plunge . Anyway heres my z1 http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/the-everyday-show-off-thread.57621/page-421 , Read post no 8402 and you would know why i chose z1 . Anyway do you own a z1 , if yes then i may need some advise cause my phone along with many others have found the problems i mentioned . About the camera , i am not a professional photographer , i have no idea regarding different cam setting . For that i would get a dslr , anyway i just want my phone to capture good images if i point and shoot, thats the idea of a smartphone isnt it ?. 6 out of 10 pics i click turn out bad ( shall i post the pics ? ) I think its the led flash , since there is a white blur at one side of the image .
I dont click much pics so i am ok with the cam but the heating issue is troubling me . Just head over to XDA there is a thread running more then 500 pages for this issue . Only solution as of now is to root and underclock the CPU which sucks .
Dont get me wrong ,i am not here to argue with you , also i like my phone especially the design but for the price we pay for it these issues should have not been there .
Also its not a thread to discuss Z1's cons but i like to mention one more , if anyone has any solution then do let me know .
There is a problem with the touchscreen . I cant explain it properly but it seems that sometimes it looses touch responsiveness when i try to swipe .It doesnt happen all the time but when it happens it is really annoying especially during browsing and gaming . This video will help

Last edited:
@blr_p Yes i am the same guy . Fact that i am in love with the z1's design so took the plunge . Anyway heres my z1 http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/the-everyday-show-off-thread.57621/page-421 , Read post no 8402 and you would know why i chose z1 .
You are a very forgiving guy. Admit it. Katrina made you do it. AGAIN !!!

Anyway do you own a z1 , if yes then i may need some advise cause my phone along with many others have found the problems i mentioned .
Waiting for the compact to drop then i'll make up my mind. But Z1 is first on my list unless htc pulls out something better.

About the camera , i am not a professional photographer , i have no idea regarding different cam setting . For that i would get a dslr , anyway i just want my phone to capture good images if i point and shoot, thats the idea of a smartphone isnt it ?
That is what most people expect but Z1 requires little more knowledge of how it works. Do that and you will get better shots. Otherwise go with a korean phone. You will get a little better shot but to do better you will have to understand photography. Just the basics are enough.

. 6 out of 10 pics i click turn out bad ( shall i post the pics ? ) I think its the led flash , since there is a white blur at one side of the image .
white blur is a common problem. From what i can tell its because the flash reflects off your finger and back at the lens. Or its the case you use. Try without case and keep your finger away from the flash. Basically people are not holding the Z1 right. Does it make a difference ?

I dont click much pics so i am ok with the cam but the heating issue is troubling me . Just head over to XDA there is a thread running more then 500 pages for this issue . Only solution as of now is to root and underclock the CPU which sucks .
Can you post a link.

Dont get me wrong ,i am not here to argue with you , also i like my phone especially the design but for the price we pay for it these issues should have not been there .
The pressure to release a phone is so strong that companies are releasing them with beta software. In the case of sony, SA takes a few firmware upgrades to get superior auto right. i admit the white with the silver trim looks better than the black, very eye-catching.

Also its not a thread to discuss Z1's cons but i like to mention one more , if anyone has any solution then do let me know .
There is a problem with the touchscreen . I cant explain it properly but it seems that sometimes it looses touch responsiveness when i try to swipe .It doesnt happen all the time but when it happens it is really annoying especially during browsing and gaming . This video will help
The touchscreen problem has been reported numerous times, i'm not sure whether its hardware related or firmware. Since it does not happen to everybody a replacement is the only option.

Z1 cons are game in this thread if the OP is considering it.

Last edited:
I find the Z1 camera to be responsive and better compared to G2. There was absolutely no lag in the Z1 but camera is not really a deal breaker for me. Decided to wait for White variant as only black variant is available in the deals. Even after using coupons , I am not able to get them below 36k for other listings. Btw, I heard some signal strength issues in G2 , is it know issue? About the case, I decided on slim armor but I cant find below 1.5k, so any better deals on these. I am not interested in Z1 compact as it has comparably lesser PPI though portable and easy to hold.
One Question : Whats the DAC used in G2 and whether is it better than Wolfson DAC used in Galaxy S range?

Last edited:
You are a very forgiving guy. Admit it. Katrina made you do it. AGAIN !!!

No , the phone has better figure then katrina ! The unibody glass design made my mind .

That is what most people expect but Z1 requires little more knowledge of how it works. Do that and you will get better shots. Otherwise go with a korean phone. You will get a little better shot but to do better you will have to understand photography. Just the basics are enough.
Well done that and yet i am not satisfied . I must be doing something wrong . Any way i am not bothered about the camera quality .I seldom use it . On the other hand Video capture is good .

white blur is a common problem. From what i can tell its because the flash reflects off your finger and back at the lens. Or its the case you use. Try without case and keep your finger away from the flash. Basically people are not holding the Z1 right. Does it make a difference ?
I dont think so . Got the same advise on other forum to no use . And I dont use any case at all , phone looks good naked ! Also cant cary a tripod in my right pocket ( just joking) , i think its a hardware issue otherwise they should better patch it up quickly . But as mentioned i am least bothered about the cam .

Can you post a link.

The pressure to release a phone is so strong that companies are releasing them with beta software. In the case of sony, SA takes a few firmware upgrades to get superior auto right. i
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2467743

This is just one of the link , there are many more . Will have to search for the thread where i have actually posted myself .
Also agree that they may have released it without proper testing but i doubt the cam or the heating issue is programming related . And if yes then its about time they release a patch .

The touchscreen problem has been reported numerous times, i'm not sure whether its hardware related or firmware. Since it does not happen to everybody a replacement is the only option.
I really doubt that i would get a replacement knowing their CC so well . Also it doesnt happen all the time . I think its heat releated , currently trying to find a pattern .

And most importantly , can any one please mearge all my above posts . Cant seem to do it for a reason .

I Decided to wait for White variant as only black variant is available in the deals. Even after using coupons , I am not able to get them below 36k for other listings. About the case, I decided on slim armor but I cant find below 1.5k, so any better deals on these.

I got my z1 locally for 35.5k only . Try local stores and bargain , the prices may have fallen further . Also You get a free case with it which is totally shi# to look at .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back