CPU/Mobo Z170 - Gigabyte or Asus - Which has better durability and Support ?

mk76

Adept
I am on the lookout for Z170 (15-20K) budget for a skylake upgrade. There are multiple options for both Asus and Gigabyte and I would need advice which one to choose. Factors being - Durability and after sales support. (My location - Delhi).

Gigabyte - My current 880-GA-USB3 has been running solid for last 3 years. Another rig at sis house has Gigabyte. So far so good. Few recommendations.

Asus - Never tried before. But a lot of recommendations for new builds. However at the same time some bad reviews for service (link).

Please share your recommendations + experiences.

Thanks. A friend is coming from US and I am getting inclined to get below combo from newegg. Comes under my budget of 40k. Only worry .. have no warranty in India.

upload_2016-7-21_13-14-46.png

Thanks. A friend is coming from US and I am getting inclined to get below combo from newegg. Comes under my budget of 40k. Only worry .. have no warranty in India.

View attachment 65827
Normally all 3 parts in the specified combo do not require RMA and yes go ahead with your purchase but use a quality PSU like Seasonic S12II series or Corsair RM series.

Normally all 3 parts in the specified combo do not require RMA and yes go ahead with your purchase but use a quality PSU like Seasonic S12II series or Corsair RM series.
I wouldn't say that for a Motherboard though. CPU and to some extent RAM is fine. I personally would prefer purchasing a Motherboard locally.
As for the original question, Asus and Gigabyte both make good quality boards. Choose whichever you prefer/ like more.

@Darklord
The price difference is insane. This combo is costing 58K here (Amazon pricing). This is compared to 40k from US . That's why I am trying to know which out of ASUS or Gigabyte has better build and is more durable.

Take gigabyte. Gigabyte has better rma support. ASus is hit or miss even in usa for rma. For me,I did exact same thing. I purchased one of the combo from microcenter. That is worth more than newegg deal. I upgraded to haswell from athlon. It has been working fine. Touchwood.[DOUBLEPOST=1469246727][/DOUBLEPOST]I picked up z97 plus i5 k version at Indian price of just processor. The cost was done at 250$ with taxes.

my calculation was basic,even if motherboard conks off in case,i still can get indian board and still save.
as long as power supply is solid,motherboard can pull through.
i decently overclocked this combo from 4 ghz turbo till 4.9ghz.it did through all tests.

Last edited:
My friend too said, he will eventually pick from microcenter. But when I get it here, support wouldn't matter as none of Gigabyte or Asus provide internation warranty. What is more important is how good quality boards are.

The link in first post tell nasty stories about Asus, where they decline RMA on purpose. For 2 of my current builds, Gigabytes are running solid. That's why I am inclined towards them.

However my last purchase was few years ago, so want to know general opinion.

^^ Depends on what you are getting, and whether they ask. Obvious stuff like 55" LCD attracts the officials.
Every year, my sister carries 2 lac worth of stuff with her when she comes home. Customs weren't imposed a single time so far.

Opening the seal on the boxes will also help. Also, you can combine the smaller items into a single box and reduce number of boxes.

I have carried Motherboard with me, didn't face any issue. Had got the Asrock Z87 Fatal1ty Pro. Worked pretty well for 3 years.

Earlier, ASUS was considered more reliable than Gigabyte. Now, maybe the situation has changed.

However, Gigabyte is not without its RMA issues, they took about 6 months to get me a replacement.

Earlier, ASUS was considered more reliable than Gigabyte. Now, maybe the situation has changed.

However, Gigabyte is not without its RMA issues, they took about 6 months to get me a replacement.
6 months. :banghead:. It seems in general all of them have gone cheap; not bothered to support customer post sale. That further hurts, if one goes for the high end models yet get screwed .

6 months. :banghead:. It seems in general all of them have gone cheap; not bothered to support customer post sale. That further hurts, if one goes for the high end models yet get screwed .

This was because they discontinued the model - C1037UN (dual LAN), then after 30-40 days gave me a C1037-UNL (single LAN), which was not what I wanted, and then finally by November, got back to me with the 1037UN model. Ironically, by then, I had discovered the MI NAS25 :p

Not sure why MSI is not be discussed. Have been using their boards for every single one of my office builds and so far so good!
15+ builds over the last 5 years replacing older systems. The machines are used primarily for design work - CS / Corel.
The home build is also on MSI and is doing very well.

Till date I have only used MSI and (later) gigabyte boards. Didn't had good experience with MSI as the boards would go kaput at some point of time. This happened 3 out of 3 MSI boards in 3 different boxes.
2 out of 2 Gigabytes are running strong for last 4 years.

Back