ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

Actually I'm not planning to use this phone without Internet, but the signal levels in my area are not letting me access internet. MTNL signal are ok, but I'm not able to access internet using MTNL. Used successfully with Airtel.
Can some one tell me the settings required to access internet through MTNL, both GPRS and 3g.
Settings I tried unsuccessfully:

APN gprsmtnlmum / gprsppsmum /pps3g
PROXY 172.16.39.10 / Blank
PORT 9401 / 9201
USERNAME mtnl
PASSWORD mtnl123
Authentication Type – PAP / Blank

Tried all the permutation and combinations still unsuccessful.
Sent SMS Act 3G to 444 as well. Still ????

BTW do we have any India specific maps available for android? Please Guide me about using GPS features to it's full potential.
Edit: just Contacted Customer care.Got the reply "Our GPRS is Down. every one is facing problems. It will be rectified in 1hour or maximum on or two days".

arun687 said:
Yes I agree, if you're not having an active gprs or 3g plan with this phone, you're wasting its potential. This is the same for almost all android phones and smartphones in general. Get a small gprs pack for Rs 50-100 and then you'll realize the true potential of the phone.
What internet specific features are you talking about?

BTW, one question for everyone who has the Orange San Francisco. What will you do if it develops a problem? How do you plan to get it fixed? No parts, no nothing available. You can't exactly go to Dell and say fix this phone, it's the same as one of yours.

^^
Internet specific features and possibilities are endless. Push email, syncing calender and contacts with your google account, skype, gtalk, tapatalk for accessing TE, Wifi tethering when your broadband is down, casual browsing, youtube, google maps etc. These are just the few things I do on my 5800, in Android the number of apps and other possibilites and overall internet experience is far better than Symbian. IMO, internet is a must for smartphones these days.

Regarding parts, it's a bit of a gamble. There will be people who would repair the phone. But ofcourse, there's a risk and that comes with the price you're paying for the phone.

My initial impressions:

Stock ROM is POS. no FB, no gtalk is PITA.

Got a benchmark score of 3.8 MFlops in linpack. This is 10 times slower than my Nexus One :|

UI is laggy

However i'm rooting the phone as I speak. Hope modaco 2.1 rom changes my view :)

bigbyte said:
Actually I'm not planning to use this phone without Internet, but the signal levels in my area are not letting me access internet. MTNL signal are ok, but I'm not able to access internet using MTNL. Used successfully with Airtel.
Can some one tell me the settings required to access internet through MTNL, both GPRS and 3g.
Settings I tried unsuccessfully:

APN gprsmtnlmum / gprsppsmum /pps3g
PROXY 172.16.39.10 / Blank
PORT 9401 / 9201
USERNAME mtnl
PASSWORD mtnl123
Authentication Type – PAP / Blank

Tried all the permutation and combinations still unsuccessful.
Sent SMS Act 3G to 444 as well. Still ????

BTW do we have any India specific maps available for android? Please Guide me about using GPS features to it's full potential.
Edit: just Contacted Customer care.Got the reply "Our GPRS is Down. every one is facing problems. It will be rectified in 1hour or maximum on or two days".
Its working for me (mtnl 3g)from yesterday might.
I have one doubt though.
I have heard from many friends that internet does not gets accessed when the connection has proxy configured in it. Is it true?
I did not go for an android specifically for this reason.

SunnyBoi said:
My initial impressions:

Stock ROM is POS. no FB, no gtalk is PITA.

Got a benchmark score of 3.8 MFlops in linpack. This is 10 times slower than my Nexus One :|

UI is laggy

However i'm rooting the phone as I speak. Hope modaco 2.1 rom changes my view :)
Do keep us updated on how the ROM works out.

Just received my phone a few hours back. It was lying with Aramex, Mumbai office for last two days. Lots of call to their Customer Care did not helped. This morning I sent a mail to the Aramex Country Head and within hours everything got sorted out including a special delivery to my home in the evening on a holiday!!

Now exploring it :).

Those who already installed Froyo on it please post the link to the most stable build.

archat68 said:
Just received my phone a few hours back. It was lying with Aramex, Mumbai office for last two days. Lots of call to their Customer Care did not helped. This morning I sent a mail to the Aramex Country Head and within hours everything got sorted out including a special delivery to my home in the evening on a holiday!!

Those who already installed Froyo on it please post the link to the most stable build.
I was on froyo till yesterday.

This was the version which was most stable to me, but beware it is still a alpha release.

[OLED+TFT] 07/Dec alpha3 / alpha4 WIP: MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM download + Online Kitchen (heavily fixed Chinese leak) - Android @ MoDaCo

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

archat68 said:

I was on froyo till yesterday.
This was the version which was most stable to me, but beware it is still a alpha release.

[OLED+TFT] 07/Dec alpha3 / alpha4 WIP: MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM download + Online Kitchen (heavily fixed Chinese leak) - Android @ MoDaCo

gauviz said:
Currently using Sebastian404's r7 (2.1). Working pretty well
How is the capacitative touch of the Blade as compared to the iPhone and such phones? I don't expect it to be anywhere near as good, but still, just want to know.

And is there a good 2.2 ROM yet?

cyanide911 said:
How is the capacitative touch of the Blade as compared to the iPhone and such phones? I don't expect it to be anywhere near as good, but still, just want to know.

And is there a good 2.2 ROM yet?
well, the touch is pretty smooth. works well for me. I have not used the iphone so cant comment on that part.

the 2.2 rom is not that stable as of now

^ dude u are comparing the scores of an optimised ROM to a stock one... compare these scores to the those of N1 running optimised froyo... sgs with insanity rom (2.2) crosses 2000 on quadrant...

shank21101985 said:
^ dude u are comparing the scores of an optimised ROM to a stock one... compare these scores to the those of N1 running optimised froyo... sgs with insanity rom (2.2) crosses 2000 on quadrant...
Blade does 370-450 on quadrant with 2.1 stock/custom roms.

im not saying is is as capable as n1 or sgs but for a man on budget this is as good as it gets.

the cpu is 600MHz but comes with Qualcom Adreno gpu for Hardware Acceleration which makes it a sweet buy.

the optimization is not well on stock orange rom but there are custom 2.1 roms with good optimization of hardware acceleration. Froyo will just make it sweeter is what im saying :)

madnav said:
Blade does 370-450 on quadrant with 2.1 stock/custom roms.

im not saying is is as capable as n1 or sgs but for a man on budget this is as good as it gets.

the cpu is 600MHz but comes with Qualcom Adreno gpu for Hardware Acceleration which makes it a sweet buy.

the optimization is not well on stock orange rom but there are custom 2.1 roms with good optimization of hardware acceleration. Froyo will just make it sweeter is what im saying :)
Would you recommend LG Optimus One or the Blade? Blade Pros: Rs 3k less, 0.3inch bigger screen, WVGA. Optimus pros: Warranty, Official Froyo+Gingerbread promised.

Back