Monitors 1 LCD with 2 CPUs

Spectre

Skilled
Hi Folks,
I have a Viewsonic 1940W connected to my gaming system. I am planning to make a cheap download rig for torrents and make the gaming system run only when i am gaming (my bit to save environment and my dad's pockets :bleh: )

I don't intend to buy another monitor for it. This monitor has two ports - one DVI and VGA. DVI is connected to gaming system.

Can i connect the VGA one to download rig and use any kind of toggle to switch between base units on the fly

Any options like that you know of, in 1940W

Connect the gaming rig to DVI and download rig to VGA.If u get a KVM switch no pblm but if u dont want then get a keyboard and mouse for download rig or connect as a server

Thanks guys.

@Sidhu - KVM, havent heard about that. How much does it cost and does it affect the gaming performance on my monitor as it will act like a junction box (if i understand correctly)

Any idea on its cost and availability

@Techfreak- i dont mind connecting another mouse to the D/L rig and switch inputs on the fly. (A KB wont be required all the time)

There must be an hotkey option on the monitor to switch input...cant figure it out.

^^ I too have the VX1940w ..but unfortunately there is no single button(hotkey) on this monitor unlike the VG1930wm that had a seperate button for the same..so the only option is guess is to use the menu to switch b/n DVI n VGA.

^^yeah you connect both cpu's to that switch, and it has a toggle switch to change between which cpu is using the keyboard/mouse/monitor

it wont affect performance anyhow.. and availablity is good..my compu guy had it :)

The hotkey on 2-input Viewsonics is the '1' button on the menu. The way to test is is to press it, it should blank the screen for a second or two. If both inputs are connected and active (no power saving), it will switch the input to the one that was inactive earlier - the hotswitch.

At least on my 2230WM, that allowed me to switch between DVI and VGA, and is the only area where that monitor was superior to my 3008WFP. Switching inputs on this one is quite sad.

For using same keyboard-mouse on both system, you can use synergy (assuming that both system can connected over same lan). :)

You save on KVM switch.. but the downside of which is that host system (the system where kb-mouse is physically connected) needs to be on.

sangram said:
The hotkey on 2-input Viewsonics is the '1' button on the menu. The way to test is is to press it, it should blank the screen for a second or two. If both inputs are connected and active (no power saving), it will switch the input to the one that was inactive earlier - the hotswitch.

At least on my 2230WM, that allowed me to switch between DVI and VGA, and is the only area where that monitor was superior to my 3008WFP. Switching inputs on this one is quite sad.

Thanks DUDE :clap: :clap: , Mystery Solved...YES the button '2' perfectly works as the hotkey to switch b/n dvi n vga. Just tried n working just the same:)

For monitors that have dual inputs, they usually have some kind of button to switch between inputs. This is a far better idea than to use a KVM switch, as that often drastically decreases image clarity.

sangram said:

Many Thanks sangram and other folks too....appreciate your help :)

Though I cant try this now...rocky has just done it for me as he is using the same monitor :hap2:

Since my monitor is capable of 2 inputs...would like to know, if I can use KVM switch only for KB+M and not for display

Does it work well as connected directly to PC

pcgamer said:
Since my monitor is capable of 2 inputs...would like to know, if I can use KVM switch only for KB+M and not for display

Does it work well as connected directly to PC

for just KB+M see iGo's post above about Synergy2, its a fun easy to setup piece of software :eek:hyeah:

Synergy

Back