CPU/Mobo 1 RAM slot failing. Worth it to go through MSI customer care?

daVinci

Recruit
I purchased my msi b450 tomahawk max motherboard in 2020. It's still under the 3 year warranty.

It's been giving me 0 issues until today when my PC wasnt booting up. Did some investigation and found out one of my RAM slots (A1) is failing. I have 2x8gb ram now so i can use the other slots and it will be alright but in the future i may have problems.

Back when i bought it I heard customer service of MSI was bad. Is that still the case? I don't want my mobo to get stuck for months on end.

you should definitely try to rma ,if u can.
maybe in the future u decide to add more ram?
or what if u decide to sell, than 1 faulty slot may bring down its value.
maybe more slots fail after ur warranty is oover.

just make sure to have a backup device like a laptop.

You could check with a local technician just to know how much it'd cost and see if you're okay with it. Besides this there's really no option, other than just not fixing it.
If you're going with RMA, make sure to not leave any trace of modifications (if any) like overclock configs, profiles etc. They'll be looking for any reason to not include this under warranty.

+1 to going ahead with RMA. As @n1r0 said above, it is better to avail warranty for this board right away rather than later not having the option to do so and being stranded with a dead board.

So I had this same issue with my Asrock B450 steel legend, 1 ram slot was not working for some time and I ignored it as it was not needed, after some 4-5 months the motherboard stopped working and the issue was with the VRMs, good thing it was under warranty and i got it replaced, I'll suggest get it RMAed.

Wouldn't all such settings go away once you remove CMOS ? So just doing that should be enough.
I think you mean remove its battery. Yeah, it should reset the entire BIOS. Kinda sounds a bit extreme to me but it's handy though.
OP, if you're doing this, turn the PC back on to make sure there's no dialog box or message that says "BIOS has been reset".

Back