Budget 41-50k 10850k vs 5600x / 5900x

JMP

Adept
Hey guys, was just wondering if Intel 10850k makes a lot more sense in the current market than a 5600x / 5900x, for a workstation build.
With current insane GPU prices, one can make do with the iGPU for a while and not have to choose between splurging / compromising.

10850k - 35K (10C20T)
5800x - 40K (8C16T)
5900x - 55K (12C24T)
5600x - 27.5K (6C12T)

Any downsides that you can think of ?

Was in the similar situation as you. The 10850k kinda does makes senses, but remember its a PCIE Gen3 platform.

If you are one who upgrades CPU+MB once in 5 years then the R5 makes more sense and that's what I did. If you upgrade frequently then the 10850 makes sense.

Hey guys, was just wondering if Intel 10850k makes a lot more sense in the current market than a 5600x / 5900x, for a workstation build.
With current insane GPU prices, one can make do with the iGPU for a while and not have to choose between splurging / compromising.

10850k - 35K (10C20T)
5800x - 40K (8C16T)
5900x - 55K (12C24T)
5600x - 27.5K (6C12T)

as @Slayer88 said. get the one with the condition. if long term, get the 5900x, else get the intel 10850k and spend that money on something else. like this also 10C / 20 T is also great to go with. by the way what do you do on your workstation ?

Gen3 vs. gen4 is not of a big deal if you don't need high speed ssd's.

Gen3 vs. gen4 is not of a big deal if you don't need high speed ssd's.
^ correct. But I reckon in 2 years GPUs may saturate Gen3, so again, back to how frequently you upgrade. If you don't see yourself using the system for more than 2 years i9.

Honestly, I really wanted the 5900x but given the dollar rate it was just too much of a premium to pay over the US price. Hell its 5k over the official Indian price! And for someone who uses it only for gaming, the 5600x is great.

^ correct. But I reckon in 2 years GPUs may saturate Gen3, so again, back to how frequently you upgrade. If you don't see yourself using the system for more than 2 years i9.

Honestly, I really wanted the 5900x but given the dollar rate it was just too much of a premium to pay over the US price. Hell its 5k over the official Indian price! And for someone who uses it only for gaming, the 5600x is great.
you said workstation so I though only work related. yea if you meant battlestation then just get the 5600x which is now price stable for 27.6k i suppose. that would be a great buy. or else you can also try to get the 3900X for 38k or so.

I actually believe it's the contrary , if u are a frequent upgrader to your hardware go for ryzen , it's known to support more gens of cpu than blue team .. until now intel has supported only 2 gens of CPUs on a motherboard till now since a long time intel also has a ping-pong cpu gen model so that they difference on the two concurrent cpu supporting the same Mobo don't have significant ipc gains , also I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) intel 11xxx series motherboard won't be supported by 12xxx series since they will be changing Mobo to support gen 4 pcie (I read a random news somewhere)

Building a desktop for work - primarily running IDEs, docker containers, multiple Linux VMs. Involves processing large data sets (in TBs) both relational and distributed NoSQL.
May need a Mac in future as well, so, if a VM based hackinthosh can run on this machine that would be a nice to have.
Other use - occasional gaming, RTS (AOE3, CnC) is my preferred type.
Want to try CyberPunk 2077 after hearing all the hype, but its been a more than 6-7 years since I have played anything, don't know if I'll get the time.

Building a desktop for work - primarily running IDEs, docker containers, multiple Linux VMs. Involves processing large data sets (in TBs) both relational and distributed NoSQL.
May need a Mac in future as well, so, if a VM based hackinthosh can run on this machine that would be a nice to have.
Want to try CyberPunk 2077 after hearing all the hype, but its been a more than 6-7 years since I have played anything, don't know if I'll get the time.
5900x lelo fir. I got the same for the same purpose. will. Will now be doing a dual boot system once the metal drivers are available for mac :woot: you can install mac without an issue just gpu base task will be a issue for you their. rest windows 10 for all entertainment purpose :cool:

Yup. Thinking of that, but getting tired of waiting.

Had been to SP Road today. 2 Shopkeepers asked me to wait till 26th as they are expecting some price cut in processors and graphics cards, don't know if its true. But what would he gain from delaying a customer's purchase ?

10850k - 35K (10C20T)
5800x - 40K (8C16T)
5900x - 55K (12C24T)
5600x - 27.5K (6C12T)

There is review between the two - 10850K and 10900k, 10850k does not have good thermals. I don't remember where I read that article but 10900k is a better binned CPU. Don't always go by the Price.
5800X/5900X - Do not make any sense at the Price point they are selling and they will sell like this for at least 7 to 8 months.
5600X - Its a pure gaming oriented CPU and again it does not offer huge performance gains over a 3600 or 3600X, check the Hardware unboxed video for it.

I would suggest you to go for 3900X - Good CPU and my colleague has one. He is running 2 ESXi Host + Horizon View Lab (vCenter+DC+UAG etc etc) + vSAN + NSX and couple of Client VM's. Even I am planning to upgrade but more inclined towards the 3950X.

Yup. Thinking of that, but getting tired of waiting.

Had been to SP Road today. 2 Shopkeepers asked me to wait till 26th as they are expecting some price cut in processors and graphics cards, don't know if its true. But what would he gain from delaying a customer's purchase ?
gpu price cut are myth :woot: cpu, you can expect abit. but 5900x is in alot demand so not for the same. get the 3900x and have peace of mind.

5900x @ 53k does not makes sense and good luck finding it at that price though it was supposed to sell at less than 50k.

5900x @ 53k does not makes sense and good luck finding it at that price though it was supposed to sell at less than 50k.
3900x & XT seem to have gone back to their 40K+ prices. I searched online quite a bit, couldn't find it anywhere around 38K.
SP Road retail shops are showing the same price on their website too. If 3900x is available for 38K or lower I'll go for it.

3900x & XT seem to have gone back to their 40K+ prices. I searched online quite a bit, couldn't find it anywhere around 38K.
SP Road retail shops are showing the same price on their website too. If 3900x is available for 38K or lower I'll go for it.
I think my friend bought a it for 39k a month ago but its a steal deal at this price. Rather invest in a good GPU or other component then spending 53k on 5900x. If you're gaming at 2K or 4K then the gains will be minimal.

mate it comes in a lot all over india maybe 1-2 depending on which port it gets landed , i got updated the same ryzen sold available on mazon is available at 27200 in market so i enquired abt 5900x , but was told those are inline s well so ,you guys need to be close to your regular shop guys

I'm in the same boat as you are! what are you buying?

Back