16GB in Single Channel vs 8x2 in Dual giving same results

Slayer88

Adept
In my long standing 'want' to get RGB ram, I unintentionally did something daft and got a 16gb single module instead of 8x2. While the ram was in transit, I was looking to see how much drop in performance I would see from my 8x2 kit. Most videos showed a big drop in AVG FPS and I was pretty upset at my stupid actions.

I was using micro E die, Ballastix 8x2 3200 mhz kit and the 16x1 was running at the same speed and timings too.

To test the performance drop, I ran 3 benchmarks at 1080p max settings on my 5800x and 1080ti

And the results were almost similar, if not same.

FC 5
Horizon zero dawn
Metro Exodus

Very wierd question (but I'm not complaining) How come I'm not seeing any performance difference between dual channel and single channel?? I only use this PC for gaming. So if there is work application that will really show the difference I don't care too much.

Thanks for reading!

I haven't personally encountered any hiccups from using either a 8gb single module or a 4x4 in dual channel.
The number crunching might be exp. in intensive applications ro similar tasks.
And frankly I do not care about any nos. unless there's a huge margin like 10fps drops or similar timings gap for performing a specific task.

I haven't personally encountered any hiccups from using either a 8gb single module or a 4x4 in dual channel.
The number crunching might be exp. in intensive applications ro similar tasks.
And frankly I do not care about any nos. unless there's a huge margin like 10fps drops or similar timings gap for performing a specific task.
Thanks for your reply. Most videos that I saw on YT on this topic had a ~10FPS difference. Hence I'm a bit surprised.

Thats what. If you are concerned about those 8-10 fps then its better to opt for dual channel way. But if you are already getting 40-45+ fps then its upto you as personally I wont be bothered for reaching 52-53fps more in dual channel as 45 is also good gameplay fps.

In my long standing 'want' to get RGB ram, I unintentionally did something daft and got a 16gb single module instead of 8x2. While the ram was in transit, I was looking to see how much drop in performance I would see from my 8x2 kit. Most videos showed a big drop in AVG FPS and I was pretty upset at my stupid actions.

I was using micro E die, Ballastix 8x2 3200 mhz kit and the 16x1 was running at the same speed and timings too.

To test the performance drop, I ran 3 benchmarks at 1080p max settings on my 5800x and 1080ti

And the results were almost similar, if not same.

FC 5
Horizon zero dawn
Metro Exodus

Very wierd question (but I'm not complaining) How come I'm not seeing any performance difference between dual channel and single channel?? I only use this PC for gaming. So if there is work application that will really show the difference I don't care too much.

Thanks for reading!

Did you confirm it really is dual channel mode in something like CPU-z tool? I assume you fitted the RAM sticks in the correct slots (like A2 and B2) alternate ones and not adjacent to each other?

Then its weird. YouTube videos seem to be showing huge increase in FPS. Will have to test it out myself.
Yup, i too saw videos on YT and was surprised. Please do test and share your experience. Thanks!

Do also check this article

Is your RAM HX432C16FB3A/16?
Then it is dual-ranked. I don't know if that is the reason for what you are observing, but a possibility that can be looked into.

But from what I saw dual channel is still vastly better. Dual rank might provide slight improvement in performance but can't make up for lack of a channel. Maybe try some more memory intensive tests to compare.

But from what I saw dual channel is still vastly better. Dual rank might provide slight improvement in performance but can't make up for lack of a channel. Maybe try some more memory intensive tests to compare.
Thanks man. As long as my games are working with little to no performance loss i don't care for anything else.

Next problem - Asymmetrical looks from having 1 stick of RAM :(

Back