Monitors 19" Samsung Wide Screen Samsung monitor - to buy or not to buy.

Hi friends,

Just got a call from my computer vendor. He says he has got a 19-inch wide screen Samsung monitor. I think it is the 940B he is talking about. He had sold it recently (2 months ago) to this person who does DTP work, but the buyer was not satisfied because the pages appeared different on the 19" wide screen monitor than it did after printing, so it messes up with his work and wants to return it. No other problems he says and he is willing to give it to me for Rs 12k. Do you think it is a fair price? Of course, I will get to test it and take a good look at it before making the purchase. Also, I get full warranty (minus 2 months).

Secondly, I have a XFX GeForce 5200Fx AGP card, with no DVI output, just the standard output. If I buy this monitor and run it on this card, do I lose on resolution or other parameters. I use my PC mainly for word processing, browsing, a few games now and then.

Thanks to everyone in advance and please hurry or the monitor might get sold elsewhere. :S

- DH

Listen up dude, the resolution is controlled by the graphics chipset. So eventhough the monitor can support on higher reolutions, u have to have a decnt graphics card to see those resolutions.

And for 12k i think its a gud buy....

it sells for 15k so 12 is not bad imho , jus go there and see the build quality if thats good and no physical defects then take it

ive used the monitor.. and its one of the best monitors.. it retails at 14.. so for 12k a brand new piece is just awesome... its got 4 ms response time, DVI as well as analog connection and is very sleek...
Get it without another thought :p

Hi folks,

Thanks for the responses.

1) I have no DVI output on my XFX AGP card. How much do I lose out because of this?

2) The maximum resolution given by the Geforce FX5200 is 1920 x 1440 I think. The native resolution of the monitor is 1280 x 1024, so even this resolution is pretty good, right 3) Is there anything else I should be looking at?

- DH

:) :) The normal checking like for backlight bleeding dead pixels etc...then if all's okay I say go for the deal

p.s be sure that the model is 940B and not some other maybe outdated model

940B is non widescreen & has a native resolution of 1280x1024

940BW is widescreen & has a native resolution of 1440x900

:p

The FX5200 has support for both 1280x1024 & 1440x900 as my friend uses it at 1920x1200

Quad Master said:
I wud say spend some more money and get a Viewsonic VA1912WB-3

or wait for some more time new displays are comming out from viewsonic.

Hi,

Actually, would have loved a Viewsonic, but problem is it is not marketed where I live and warranty claims can be an issue.

Also, I just recently 2 days back changed my graphics card from GeForce 440Mx AGP 4x 64 MB DDR to the FX 5200 128 MB DDR. I can ask my vendor to give me a card with DVI out. [Which entry-level AGP card should I go for (which has DVI out)? I am not into gaming and don't want to shell out much on the AGP card, but I would love to have a DVI output card as I am planning on this Samsung monitor.

:S I use my PC for a lot of word processing and is a 19" wide screen kind of unsuited for this kind of work? Don't the wide screen LCDs sacrifice vertical pixels for horizontal ones and so you don't really enjoy word processing on these?

I mean, wouldn't I be better off with a 17" 4:3 format LCD rather than a 19" wide format for word processing? I have been reading up some info on this and this is what I am getting to. Your inputs would be appreciated.

DH

ehhh whoever toldu that is totally wrong , ws lcds are more better for word processing too as you get more horizontal space so you get to see more and work better so no cons 4u to get the lcd , pick it up while u can before it goes choo mantar

Well folks, my bad luck, the guy sold the monitor to some friend of his for 13k. Anyways, I went ahead shopping and decided to settle for the 17" LG Monitor L1752S for 10.8K, which was 27% cheaper than the 940bw.

Somehow I felt that the 19" WS was bit of an overkill for mostly office work. Anyways, this monitor has a 1600:1 (Digital fine) contrast (and not 1400:1 as mentioned on the website, so the specs have changed) and the display is absolutely crisp - no dead pixels, but yes a little background bleeding.

On second thoughts, I wonder if I made a wrong decision :frusty: - I mean I can still just pay a little more and exchange the monitor - but just remember it is for office work, with very little games and/or movies (if at all).

What do you guys think?

Back