Storage Solutions 1Tb slow !!!

vegeta

Disciple
Somethings wrong with my new 1tb seagate 7200.11 32mb cache (model no. mentioned in screenshots). In vista i get a transfer rate of ~6mb from 320gb to 1tb(600gb partition) and ~16mb in 300gb partition ? guess what ~30mb in 320 to 320 :S

hddpartitionswr0.jpg

This thing shows up as simple partition afaik its good for backup purposes. I use my 1tb for backup purposes and do not intend to use it as primary.

Hd tune both 320 and 1tb:

hdtunebenchmarkst332062nh0.png

hdtunebenchmarkst310003fn5.png

Searched the net but didn't find any similar problem ! I doubt its a driver problem.

I use xp as my primary os and it takes quiet some time to copy 4gb file like >10mins

pls mention if any more info is required.

Make sure its on SATA mode and getting proper power.

Defraging the drives would help a lot.

Besides, also that its nearly suicidal keeping FAT32 and NTFS together.

Change the last partition to NTFS or the HDD will surely go Kaput in few months.

ultimabasher said:

Change the last partition to NTFS or the HDD will surely go Kaput in few months.

How? Why? :O

Have been using FAT32 and NTFS for years now. None of my hdd's went kaput cause of that.

@vegeta, get speedfan and check the smart status.

didnt u guys notice the temps??

dude ur hdds are getting too hot...

go to seagate site n check max temp for ur drive model.

performance drops when the drive is nt in its normal temp range.

also the cpu usage seems above normal.

Err that is my personal experience.

Long long ago... :p

I had a 80gb hdd on which I had 2 FAT32 and 1 NTFS partition.

FAT32 was used for windows.

That was in heavy use, like 24 hrs on.

After some 6 months, the HDD went bad.

I was desperate.

Tried doing everything but the HDD wont boot at all.

Even I tried using my 2nd HDD to boot and keep this one as slave but no use.

Then I formatted all the Partitions as NTFS and it came back.

Well since that day, I am having all my partitions as NTFS.

Though even I googled that day and found that many people are saying its a no problem thingy, why take chances when it comes to data that you have worked hard to get.

^^ bah, what a fallacious argument

it's like saying my car met an accident because I coupled a pioneer headunit with Alpine speakers

Even though others say it is a no problem thingy, why take chances
:lol:

From the screen shot of Disk Management I see that the 1TB HDD is set as a "Dynamic HDD" whilst the others are "Basic HDDs". Dynamic HDDs give a lot of problems, please change this to Basic. I am not sure but you may loose all data after this conversion.

ultimabasher said:
Make sure its on SATA mode and getting proper power.

Defraging the drives would help a lot.

Your brains is what has got ultimately bashed. Check facts, post later.

Eazy said:
From the screen shot of Disk Management I see that the 1TB HDD is set as a "Dynamic HDD" whilst the others are "Basic HDDs". Dynamic HDDs give a lot of problems, please change this to Basic. I am not sure but you may loose all data after this conversion.

Yeah, i too faced a lot of problems with the dynamic disks, Lost all my data and then went for basic disks.

Vandal said:
Your brains is what has got ultimately bashed. Check facts, post later.

I hope what happened with me even happens with you and that too on a bigger scale and then you will know whose brain is bashed.

I am not a friggin idiot trying to take him to the wrong path.

Did i do something wrong by trying to warn him about what happened with him.

its his wish in the end what he wants to do. :mad:

ultimabasher said:
I am not a friggin idiot trying to take him to the wrong path.
lol. this is a public forum. if not him, soemone else may read your post and think its true, he might do it. if anything happens not wriiten by you in your post, he'll come running this forum sucks and losers are present here who wish to destroy his/her computers. so whose fault is it when this happens? :p

ultimabasher said:
its his wish in the end what he wants to do. :mad:
Exactly. And he will end up doing the wrong thing because you posted wrong info. Isnt that wrong?

Back