Storage Solutions 2 issues related to windows 7 . HDD not visible and access denied.

pom99

Disciple
Hello all,

Issue no.1 - I formatted the C drive of my computer yesterday and changed from Windows XP to Windows 7. Apart from the C drive, I had partitioned the HDD into the D, E, F and H drives. Now, the issue is that after formatting, the H drive is not visible in explorer but it is shown in 'Disk management'. Right clicking on the Drive to 'Open' it is not possible as the option is greyed out. The H is also shown as 'Local, Primary drive', instead of a 'Logical drive'. How do I make the H drive visible again without losing its contents?

Issue no. 2 - Since formatting and installing Windows 7, my external HDD says 'Access denied'. I thought it was an issue with ownership and tried changing the ownership but it didn't help. I cannot explore the HDD also. So, any solution for this too would be appreciated. The data consumed and data remaining on the HDD are however shown correctly.

i had similar problem this week, i will tell you what i did, it most probably will solve your problem too (Hopefully)

right click on the H: drive, go to properties, tools tab, run error checking program and allow it to fix the drive else

go to command propmt (type cmd in run & press enter)
then type chkdsk space volume letter space /r and press enter it should look like this :

C:\users\username>chkdsk H: /R

be sure to right click & run command prompt as administrator though. This will scan the disk for errors and recover bad sectors and your drive should be readable again !!

if you have problems in command prompt type chkdsk/? to see the help for the command (remember [chkdsk/?] without the brackets) good luck :)

Back