Storage Solutions 2 TB vs 3TB - WD vs Seagate ?

sabby

ex-Mod
I need to buy internal HDD for the new Desktop. Prices seem to be around 5.8-6k for 2TB and 7-7.5k for 3TB. 2TB will be enough for me but 3TB is cheaper per GB. The problem is I remember many members complaining about failing of 2/3 TB HDDs (especially WD green drives). So which one would recommend ? The usage will be mainly storage and backup OS drive. So reliability is more important than performance.

The problem is I remember many members complaining about failing of 2/3 TB HDDs (especially WD green drives). So which one would recommend ? The usage will be mainly storage and backup OS drive. So reliability is more important than performance.

My WD Green had died on me last year and took ~500GB of data with it. I was in similar boat as you, last year, where I was seeking more reliability. I then bought WD Red 2TB for ₹7300. Since they are NAS-ware and NAS is assume to run almost 24*7, I believe QC on them would be better. Warranty is of 3 years. Though cost per GB is high but at same time reliability is also covered.

Just my few paisas :p

My WD Green had died on me last year and took ~500GB of data with it. I was in similar boat as you, last year, where I was seeking more reliability. I then bought WD Red 2TB for ₹7300. Since they are NAS-ware and NAS is assume to run almost 24*7, I believe QC on them would be better. Warranty is of 3 years. Though cost per GB is high but at same time reliability is also covered.

Just my few paisas :p

I think the greens have a bad habit going into power saving mode more often than usual and that is why they die quickly ? I haven't read any reliability reports yet but my two greens did die on me and they were part of NAS.

Sorry if OT but does anyone know if the WD Purple is suitable for non-surveillance, regular home use? Seem to be priced about the same as Greens for the 2tb but offer a 3 year warranty. Shouldn't they theoretically be more robust than the greens? Cons?

^^ theoretically, HDDs used in surveillance systems won't face much random head movements because of cyclic write and delete routines. so less wear and tear in comparison to regular desktop use.

^^ theoretically, HDDs used in surveillance systems won't face much random head movements because of cyclic write and delete routines. so less wear and tear in comparison to regular desktop use.

Thanks for replying. So I take it the WD Purple is not recommended for regular home usage? The extra warranty made me consider it.

WD Purple is meant to be used for surveillance as mentioned earlier in scenarios where drives need to run 24x7. The WD Red series is more geared towards NAS. Green is the best bet for storage. I wouldn't recommend Seagate as their customer service and failure rate both sound terrible from what I have read on other forums.

Update - got the 2TB WD RED for 6550 + vat. The green 3TB was available for same price but since I don't need that much space and reliability is of higher priority, got this.

Congrats mate. Excellent purchase. Amazon also are selling these at pretty decent price, 7k shipped :)

Back