20 mn handsets without IMEI go inactive, Really?

On paper for sure, airtel, vodafone cannot afford to inactivate these handsets.

There was supposed to be come software stuff right, costing 100 rupees that would give IMEI numbers. It was promoted by these telecom companies only.

You get get an IMEI generated for these phones.

It’s expected that nearly 25 million mobile handsets will stop working once invalid and fake IMEI numbers get blocked. Since this kind of step is being taken for the first time, Government of India has also moved ahead to help such innocent users by providing new IMEI number for blocked handsets. They have started GII (Genuine IMEI Implant Program) to implant the genuine IMEI numbers on the mobile handsets which were carrying bad/non genuine IMEI numbers.

TIP : How to know if mobile IMEI number is valid and original

Features of GII Program

1. Approved by Government of India (DOT) to block invalid, duplicate IMEI numbers to minimize security risks

2. Invalid IMEI numbers can be converted to genuine IMEI numbers using GII program

3. Once genuine IMEI gets implanted, network service barring will be removed

4. More than 1600 GII service outlet partners nationwide

Simply take your mobile handset to your nearest GII service outlet and get a new genuine IMEI number implanted on it. You can find a nearest GII outlet here. The new IMEI number implantation costs Rs. 199 only.

Source: Get Handsets with Invalid IMEI implanted with genuine IMEI number | Solid Blogger

Such things are proof that governments are useless. The so called "terrorists" will always find a way to circumvent security mechanisms....it is we who will have to face the hassles..... Government should stop being paranoid about security and focus on welfare.........In India, where tuberculosis kills two people every three minutes.... the so called "terrorism" is not such a major threat anyways unless the media keeps shoving it in our faces for weeks whenever a strike occurs.... (in the process implanting "fear" into the masses)..... they (the media) act like the real "terrorists" in this case (for reasons of monetary profits though) .

Loop mobile has deactivated my friend's chinese mobile today, but Docomo works fine on the same phone. Seems all operators have not yet implemented it. :p

guys .. i just got to know from my friend that his SPICE mobile which is said to be chinese got disconnected .. so he's pretty happy .. atleast he has got an excuse to buy a new cell phone untill and unless his parents come to know that IMEI numbers can be installed in the device ..!!

one of my friend uses SPice dual sim phone.

His CDMA is working while his GSM number got deactivated yesterday.

shaibalik said:
guys .. i just got to know from my friend that his SPICE mobile which is said to be chinese got disconnected .. so he's pretty happy .. atleast he has got an excuse to buy a new cell phone untill and unless his parents come to know that IMEI numbers can be installed in the device ..!!

medpal said:
one of my friend uses SPice dual sim phone.

His CDMA is working while his GSM number got deactivated yesterday.

:eek: I thought SPICE uses original IMEI numbers just as nokia, samsung does :no:

Back