CPU/Mobo 2nd opinion needed

ultimo

Recruit
Hi guys!

Kindly pitch in

Bought this rig in Dec 2007 / 8

Amd proc with Asus m2n sli deluxe mobo, nvidia GeForce 8600 xfx 512 mb gfx card, currently with 3 gb ram (ddr 2) : 1 X 1 gb, 1 X 2 gb, had replaced psu a few years ago, for a couple of past days, there is no display, when I unplugged the cable, my crt suggests the same, so the monitor is fine... There is no post but the heat sink spins with the psu fans, reseated all cables, dusted off the heat sink too, issue persists, tested a different psu, no joy, the fan on the gfx was not spinning, got that taken care of & had it tested in sp road itself, which worked on a different mobo, took the tower to a near home computer store, he suggests that the mobo has fried & states that the cpu may have died too or would anytime soon... Is it worth getting this mobo checkd or is it dead & should I just buy a new mobo cpu n ram for every thing else from this rig?

Thanks in advance for your response n time.

identifying the faulty component can be done if you just follow a process of elimination.
now the most likely component to have failed could be the ram, mobo, psu or gpu.
you have already eliminated the gpu as the problem.
try crazyeddy's ram stick suggestion to eliminate/identify that as the problem
and finally, either use another psu to power up the system or
if that's not possible then try using your psu on another system.

i know this might seem like a lot of hassle but there have been instances where someone was going to replace xyz part only to find the problem was with something else.
i remember one member here thought he had to buy a new motherboard but it turned out it was a psu issue which he got rma'd under warranty.

Back