2X2GB or 3X2GB RAM for i7-930 on Windows XP

jennifer123

Disciple
I am in a dilemma to buy the RAM for my new i7-930, x58A-UD5 system. I heard 2*3GB will be better for triple channel memory. But I have no idea to upgrade from Windows XP, so I cant utilize more than 4GB anyway.

So whats the best combination of RAM for me:

2X2GB OR 3X1GB or 3x2GB?

If I run 3x2GB Ram in windows XP, Will the available 4GB has any performance(BECAUSE OF TRIPLE CHANNEL) than running 2x2GB OR 3X1GB?

you can always shift to xp 64bit.. so that all of ur 6gb ram is utilized...

anyways triple channel doesnt have much of a performance difference as compared to the same amount of memory in dual channel.. but if you have already paid for a high end UD5 why not utilize that technology...

if you go for 3x1GiB, 3 gb i think is gonna be [sooner or later] a kind of less for the heavy apps you are gonna run on ur i7 930...

if u plan on upgrading ur os later on then get only 2x2gb and get another 2gb stick later....if not go with 3x1gb if u r buying ur rig for games then i strongly recommend u to upgrade to win 7 or vista....

vriship said:
you can always shift to xp 64bit.. so that all of ur 6gb ram is utilized...
anyways triple channel doesnt have much of a performance difference as compared to the same amount of memory in dual channel.. but if you have already paid for a high end UD5 why not utilize that technology...
if you go for 3x1GiB, 3 gb i think is gonna be [sooner or later] a kind of less for the heavy apps you are gonna run on ur i7 930...
+1
There's very little performance difference between dual and triple channel memory. But since you are already on a high end platform, why cut corners? Your OS can always be upgraded when you so desire.

Even the 4GB will not be completely realized on the 32BIT OS. Since you are getting prime equipment, go for the tri-channel setup, which will compliment the processor perfect, and upgrade the OS to 64BIT.

But if the OS change+6GB RAM really is not comfortable to you financially, 4GB on 32BIT is also fine.

Thanks a lot friends. No i have no idea to upgrade to any 64 bit OS in near future.
But i will buy a 3x2GB kit for future proof. So do you recommend me to install only 2 sticks or all the 3 sticks now?

Just get the 2 sticks for now. You have to remember that support for Windows XP would be ending soon. In a few months everyone may feel forced to move on to Windows 7.

I guess the channeling should remain TRI, though very interesting question. I could be wrong here. It would see the ~3.25Ghz, but tri-channel. Again others might know better...!

Best -- if you are buying three sticks for future proof it is better. Down the line you might find it difficult to find the exact same stick with equal density and speed/timings. Ideally people prefer all sticks to be exact replicas of each other.

asingh said:
Best -- if you are buying three sticks for future proof it is better. Down the line you might find it difficult to find the exact same stick with equal density and speed/timings. Ideally people prefer all sticks to be exact replicas of each other.
Yup, you should consider that. But don't go for 3 sticks of 1GB RAM. If you decide to upgrade in future, it will be just to expensive to replace all the sticks. If you are short of money, just order 2 sticks of RAM.

And I don't know about the other question you asked. But my guess is that it will be run in Tri channel. People with 4 GB on Windows XP can confirm this.

Check this out for Dual channel on XP with 4GB RAM. I think the same thing would apply to triple channel too.

Dude, 6gigs and you don't plan on moving to x64? It doesn't make ANY sense.

i7 and XP doesn't make any sense either

Ideally most of your applications should work just fine on 64BIT, unless it is real legacy. Applications which require a 32BIT environment, will run within WoW (windows on windows). The 64BIT will emulate a 32bit OS, so these 32bit complaint applications can execute. Maximum, you might need to reinstall drivers. Though which applications...? Just curious...?

Back