Monitors 34 " Ultrawide vs 27" regular monitors 1440p

awestorr

Adept
What are the pros and cons of getting an ultrawide?
The way i see it ultraWide costs around 10k more than 27inch when i compare between same brand offerings like acer and lg.
My main usage is gaming(not much into competitive shooters) + media consumption.

I see that budget uw have a VA panel compared to ips on 27inch.
If you are using am ultrawide ,do share your experience.

Last edited:
VA panel is always cheaper than IPS counter part.

VA gives you deeper blacks and high contrast.
IPS offers far superior viewing angles and color accuracy.

I don't have ultrawide but used one somewhere, one thing I noticed in CS2 was despite setting the resolution to ultrawide 3440x1440 the game ran with 16:9 aspect ratio but with sides stretched to fill the entire screen, it was not true 21:9. I found out when I saw that characters in middle of screen were slimmer and got fatter at the edge of the screen.

Quick googling on the matter suggests that not all games support true 21:9 aspect ratio, to compensate this you have to reduce FOV down but still it's not perfect.

Other benefit of ultrawide is PIP mode, which turns your monitor into two monitors by splitting in half but you see no borders. It can be useful in some situations.

VA panel is always cheaper than IPS counter part.

VA gives you deeper blacks and high contrast.
IPS offers far superior viewing angles and color accuracy.

I don't have ultrawide but used one somewhere, one thing I noticed in CS2 was despite setting the resolution to ultrawide 3440x1440 the game ran with 16:9 aspect ratio but with sides stretched to fill the entire screen, it was not true 21:9. I found out when I saw that characters in middle of screen were slimmer and got fatter at the edge of the screen.

Quick googling on the matter suggests that not all games support true 21:9 aspect ratio, to compensate this you have to reduce FOV down but still it's not perfect.

Other benefit of ultrawide is PIP mode, which turns your monitor into two monitors by splitting in half but you see no borders. It can be useful in some situations.
I) viewing angles shouldnt be an issue in monitors since i m going to be sitting pretty close to it,right?

2)yeah not all games will support 21:9, some will default to 16:9 . But i dont think thats a disadvantage , mods should take care of most if not all.

3) Do you have any idea about ppi.
Because on regular 32inch 1440p its the same as 24inch 1080p.
I read someone since the res is different in ultrawide, the ppi should be same as 1440p screens.

Since i m planning to use this monitor a long time, i wouldnt mind spending a bit extra if there are enough benefits.

I imagine that they would also therefore be curved to make up for the viewing angle issue, which might be fine for gaming, but I would much rather have a flat screen for all other uses.

In case you might know, then something to keep in mind is that on a 32 inch 16:9 monitor, by creating a custom 21:9 aspect ratio resolution, you can create a similar sized ultrawide desktop as you'd get with an ultrawide model such as the Acer Nitro ED3 34 inch (it would just be letterboxed in between horizontal black bars). This would give you the flexibility to switch between a taller 16:9 and a shorter 21:9 on the same display. Once you get used to the 16:9 height, you do miss it in the ultrawide mode though (to achieve that kind of ultrawide height, you'd need a much larger display, maybe a 43 inch 16:9), but it still does the job.

Of course, for native 21:9 content consumption without black bars and all that, there's no replacement for an actual ultrawide monitor.

Monitors larger than 27 inches are generally not recommended for desktop gaming. This is because the larger screen size can exceed your field of view, making it difficult to keep track of game mechanics without excessive head movement. This recommendation primarily applies to desktop setups where the player is seated close to the screen.

My suggestions -

At home I have gamed on a 27 inch 1440p 144 Hertz Monitor (LG IPS) and it was amazing. Everything was crisp.
Office -I use a 34 inch Monitor again IPS from Dell but as mentioned by fellow members, really good at productivity, can be excellent for gaming but not all games support 21:9 aspect ratio. The one's that do, they look amazing.

Currently gaming on LG C2X 48 inch OLED and loving every bit of it.

Stick to a 16:9 aspect ratio and you'll be sorted. If you want to take the plunge, go for 34 inch, which you'll not regret.

Monitors larger than 27 inches are generally not recommended for desktop gaming. This is because the larger screen size can exceed your field of view, making it difficult to keep track of game mechanics without excessive head movement. This recommendation primarily applies to desktop setups where the player is seated close to the screen.
I am using 32 4k at arm distance. Love it, wont use 27 again (its nice too vs 21).
Some people even seem to use 42 tv as monitors but that doesn't work for me at this distance. Maybe the max limit might be a ultrawide version of 32.

Back