• 5600X, x264 software encoding, faster cores are better

• 3700X, x264 software encoding, more cores the better

• 3600, Nvenc on 980Ti should be good enough

• 3600, It can handle x264 software encoding

Results are only viewable after voting.

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
With the current market, I cannot upgrade my 980Ti any soon and I am willing to upgrade my old 2500K System.
On current system (2500K with 980TI) I can play the games but can't stream at all. (I play CS and Apex mostly).
I wish to stream on twitch, 1080p60 if possible on the same machine as I play.
Which CPU should I buy?
And Which encoding settings would be preferable?
Does hardware encoding on 980Ti good enough for 1080p60? Or would I have to use x264 software encoding?
Then, which CPU should I go with?

5600X for csgo. I only play csgo. Csgo wants 5600X. But overall if you can get a 3900x or something for similar money then the 3900X is also killer. I have a friend who has a 3900X and I have a 5600X - you would have seen my thread but if you want a 3900X, I can connect the two of you. Nothing quite handles memory bandwidth without melting like a 3900X and above. 5800X and above can Chernobyl.

Just adding -
3900X has two 6 core clusters. So encode on one and game on the other... No real perf hit. It has solid memory performance (I will post my analysis of a 3900x vs a 5800x... Some figures are almost 3x better on the 3900X) and that cpu encoding is and always will be king. Let's not forget streaming takes a toll on your upload buffer and the lower bandwidth you use, the less latency and queue waiting time lost. In your specific case, 3900X all the way.
Added my comparisons. This will put things into BIG perspective for anyone :)
Encode + game + low bandwidth wasted= 3900X all the way.

Attachments

• comaprisons - aida64 3000MHZ stock p6.62 x370.png
    comaprisons - aida64 3000MHZ stock p6.62 x370.png
    772.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I would say go for an Intel based system, use igpu and quicksync to stream and 980ti to game. Even the best of the processors have to rely on fast or very fast encoding preset in OBS to avoid dropped frames

Last edited:
Streaming+Gaming >> 3900X, if Budget allows then 5900X. Really close to Intel in gaming like within 2 percent to 3 percent. And remember with Lesser TDP and Power usage for a 12 Core CPU. Because I am also in the same boat as you are but for me it will also act as a Workstation.
About GPU prices, just wish that Crypto crashes further so that GPU hoarding stops and we get them at a cheaper prices than what it is right now.

How does 5950x compares to 5900x?
Obviously, better
With the current market, I cannot upgrade my 980Ti any soon and I am willing to upgrade my old 2500K System.
On current system (2500K with 980TI) I can play the games but can't stream at all. (I play CS and Apex mostly).
I wish to stream on twitch, 1080p60 if possible on the same machine as I play.
Which CPU should I buy?
And Which encoding settings would be preferable?
Does hardware encoding on 980Ti good enough for 1080p60? Or would I have to use x264 software encoding?
Then, which CPU should I go with?
I was reading up on twitch streaming and it seems you will need to understand their recommended settings for 1080p60 x264(CPU encoding) and 1080p60 NVENC.

X264
Resolution: 1920x1080
Bitrate: 6000 kbps
Rate Control: CBR
Framerate: 60 or 50 fps
Keyframe Interval: 2 seconds
Preset: veryfast <-> medium
Profile: Main/High

NVENC
Resolution: 1920x1080
Bitrate: 6000 kbps
Rate Control: CBR
Framerate: 60 or 50 fps
Keyframe Interval: 2 seconds
Preset: Quality
B-frames: 2

They also say NVENC in 20 series and 16 series has superior quality the x264 fast and equivalent to x264 medium. Older cards like in your case, have quality equivalent to x264 fast/very fast preset.

I would say, for now, just for experimenting, try streaming with NVENC settings in obs and see if you can stream properly. You will also need atleast 6 Mbps upload speed to twitch servers.

If this does not work out, think about upgrading your hardware. With 3900X, x264 fast preset seems no problem, not sure about medium. Need someone to test it out.

Last edited:
Thank you. I am considering between 5900x and 5950x. Anything will be a huge upgrade for me as I am stuck with 4c/8t.
I know that pain, have been running a 2600k for Almost 7 years now. I am getting a 5950x for 72k here in Chandigarh locally so will go for it, plus it will last me atleast 5 years to 6 years. I could have gone for 3950x but 5950x is a better binned 5900x with more cores so one can do Streaming+Gaming at the same time and it will not break a sweat. Then the other +ve side is that it is not a room heater like the Intel Counterparts (ofcourse, it needs a good cooling solution) and not that heavy on the Powersupply too.

I know that pain, have been running a 2600k for Almost 7 years now. I am getting a 5950x for 72k here in Chandigarh locally so will go for it, plus it will last me atleast 5 years to 6 years. I could have gone for 3950x but 5950x is a better binned 5900x with more cores so one can do Streaming+Gaming at the same time and it will not break a sweat. Then the other +ve side is that it is not a room heater like the Intel Counterparts (ofcourse, it needs a good cooling solution) and not that heavy on the Powersupply too.
Do not expect Ryzen processors to run cool. Ryzens will sustain boost clocks till they have thermal head room. 80 deg c is normal for Ryzen

I dont recommend using X.264 with a 6 core processor, heck even an 8 core for that matter, it wont work, maybe something like a valorant, or CS go, you maybe able to get away with, if you want to stream games like Apex, COD or any latest titles, honestly it the dedicated hardware encoder on your GPU will do a far better job and put lesser overheard on your system. I would still recommend an 8 core CPU with Nvenc encoding, because your processor will have to run OBS, Discord, Browser, may be some chatbots to support your streams and run your game as well. I have been streaming for a while with different configuration, pc, laptops, can confirm that the GPU encoder is the way to go for a single streaming PC. Once you turn pro, you can go with a dual PC setup.

My suggestion 3700x, 5800x with the 908ti using Nvenc.

Folks suggesting quicksync for streaming, has anyone tried using it on 1080p 60fps, would like to see the results.

Last edited:
I dont recommend using X.264 with a 6 core processor, heck even an 8 core for that matter, it wont work, maybe something like a valorant, or CS go, you maybe able to get away with, if you want to stream games like Apex, COD or any latest titles, honestly it the dedicated hardware encoder on your GPU will do a far better job and put lesser overheard on your system. I would still recommend an 8 core CPU with Nvenc encoding, because your processor will have to run OBS, Discord, Browser, may be some chatbots to support your streams and run your game as well. I have been streaming for a while with different configuration, pc, laptops, can confirm that the GPU encoder is the way to go for a single streaming PC. Once you turn pro, you can go with a dual PC setup.

My suggestion 3700x, 5800x with the 908ti using Nvenc.

Folks suggesting quicksync for streaming, has anyone tried using it on 1080p 60fps, would like to see the results.
Will do a video about this in the weekend. x264 vs quicksync vs VCE vs NVENC (if I can get an Nvidia GPU)

for your requiremnt 5600x / 3700x /5800x + capture card and your gpu , i personally think 5900x and 5950x should be the choice , but 5600x +capture card should be golden .if you stop streaming you could sell of capture card and you wont have an overpowered CPU and money would be recovered.

^^^this guy is selling 5950 ,if you feel its good you can get a good deal

for your requiremnt 5600x / 3700x /5800x + capture card and your gpu , i personally think 5900x and 5950x should be the choice , but 5600x +capture card should be golden .if you stop streaming you could sell of capture card and you wont have an overpowered CPU and money would be recovered.

^^^this guy is selling 5950 ,if you feel its good you can get a good deal
How would the capture card fit the workflow ?

Do not expect Ryzen processors to run cool. Ryzens will sustain boost clocks till they have thermal head room. 80 deg c is normal for Ryzen
They will run a lot cooler than a 65nm 2600k which is overclocked to 5Ghz and also suck up lot lesser power.

If you are buying a 5950x, see the below link, brand new for 72,450

He/his company company is Mumbai based, I bought my 5600x from him, he's an old timer and on this forum too (not too active but I suppose?)

He/his company company is Mumbai based, I bought my 5600x from him, he's an old timer and on this forum too (not too active but I suppose?)
I think he had a falling out either here or on Erodov. Something related to certain deals but I remember that back in early 2010 or late 2010 he used to sell components as a Dealer. I have bought from him as well. E7200 and Some Gigabyte Motherboard.

Back