3d Printer discussion thread

Thinking of getting one for myself.
amazon.in has several decent looking options starting from 12k, which is way cheaper than what I was expecting.
Some people also go for a DIY approach and build a 3d printer from parts.. Seen electronic stores selling parts for 3d printer.

Anyone owns a 3d printer here ? Any idea about DIY approach?

I was about to start the same thread, want to start with some affordable yet reliable printer, Ender 3 seems a good option, but want to know if anyone here using a 3d printer and their experience.

Have a couple of 3D printers.

If you have the time & patience then getting high quality prints from these DIY kits is very possible. It is all about calibration - The more time you spend, the better the end result. Depending on which printer you get, there are custom firmware/upgrade options as well.

Let me know if you have any particular questions or post what model you are considering and I can give further details.

Best,

Do you recommend any particular DIY kits available in Indian market? and Which printers do you own? Thanks

Ender comes to mind just because of how popular it is. Troubleshooting & finding answers becomes very easy. If you want the extreme end of DIY you can check out RepRap. Honestly everything in the Indian market is overpriced for what you are getting.

I started with a Tevo Tarantula(Prusa i3) , then an Anycubic Kossel. Also built a few Reprap based custom (Laser Engraving / CNC / Small Form).

Prusa mini has got a much smaller print area. If that is not a concern, for most people I would recommend going for it. There will most likely be more tinkering involved with the ender, while the Prusa is more likely to work out of the box. If you are someone that is okay with tinkering and spending time learning the ins and outs of the machine, then the Ender is a better option.

The Ender 3/ 3V2 deal on amazon.in for 14k/ 20k seems quite fair TBH.

Last edited:
Is the barrier to entry high, or does 12k to 14k provide enough bang for buck? Or is spending more on an expensive one worth it?
I basically did zero research so the noobish question. Just want a rough idea of how much one should invest to get the best value.

Is the barrier to entry high, or does 12k to 14k provide enough bang for buck? Or is spending more on an expensive one worth it?
I basically did zero research so the noobish question. Just want a rough idea of how much one should invest to get the best value.
I have no experience with the more expensive printers. I was able to tinker and get my printers to print similar quality to more expensive ones. Essentially the more you pay , the more likely you are to get high quality prints right out of the box. Cheaper printers inevitably require a lot more effort in terms of build and troubleshooting.

Yes, I have printed M3 nuts.
screws + nuts sized M4 and above can be easily printed with ender 3 printer.
But they are very weak. I print with PLA only.

--

Anycubic looks promising.
If you can import without paying customs its a very good deal.

Last edited:
Thinking of getting one for myself.
amazon.in has several decent looking options starting from 12k, which is way cheaper than what I was expecting.
Some people also go for a DIY approach and build a 3d printer from parts.. Seen electronic stores selling parts for 3d printer.

Anyone owns a 3d printer here ? Any idea about DIY approach?
I bought my Creality CR10 from these guys https://www.3dnest.in/

I started with one ender a year and half back,just for fun...threw it in corner because it kept clogging...took it out and started tinkering with it..and started printing things for friends and now I have a business and 8 printers and they all work nonstop..
If you have patience and love tinkering,start with an ender v2, only problem you will face is levelling and clogging, that can happen with a prusa also and you need to find ways to fix it...not a big issue

Hydrotech Chennai is cheapest to get,other than that it's 3didea mumbai
Another advantage for ender is the widespread user base and support, Facebook,reddit ..shoot a question and you will get help
But again,there's no put it and it will work scenario, there will be a lot of hiccups on the way.but if you like creating and designing, it's amazing

Let me know if I can help further

My prusa has arrived. Won't be able to use it for a month though. Its so amazing to see it in action :D . The test item was a whistle.
started printing things for friends and now I have a business and 8 printers and they all work nonstop..
That's awesome! I am very curious about your business. How did you find clients ? Where do you run the printers . I always thought 3D printing to be something that will come, but now I realize I could have services like yours to get items 3D printed.

Speaking of which... are any of you up for offering some 3d prints? Or if not where can one get stuff printed easily. Will provide the proper STL files, etc.

Thinking of a few hobbyist projects but my tiny apartment has zero space now to keep stuff.

My prusa has arrived. Won't be able to use it for a month though. Its so amazing to see it in action :D . The test item was a whistle.

That's awesome! I am very curious about your business. How did you find clients ? Where do you run the printers . I always thought 3D printing to be something that will come, but now I realize I could have services like yours to get items 3D printed.
I have a custom bakery and there is a need for cutters, apart from generic chinese,, also I had the clients ready so it was just putting both together..so I design and sell, justt ordered myself a co2 laser, because that one is supercool

Every city there be people offering their 3d print services,Google
If you in Hyderabad I can do :)

Guys any suggestion for a website to order spare parts?
I am currently looking for nozzle, thermistor, lubricant, PTFE tube for my prusa mini plus.

Back