40" LCD! Sony or Samsung?

mithun

Adept
Well, i just junked the idea of a PC upgrade and now intend to buy a 40" LCD TV instead.

Made a visit to a local electronics showroom in the morning and set my eyes on 2 40 inchers

1) Sony KLV-40BX400 @ 57k
2) Samsung 5 series @ 54k

Budget is strictly 60k. So need advice on the best i can get for that money. TV will be wall mounted in my room measuring 16.5' x 13.5' and viewing distance will be around 8-12 feet most of the time.
Keeping that in mind, i have two specific queries. Firstly, is the 40" size best suited for me? And secondly, how would the cheaper Plasma panels fare?

Usage will be mostly watching HD movies, Gaming and occassionally TV viewing.

Keep the advices coming mates...TIA:)

well ur viewing distance about right for a 40" .
the samsung B530 was below 50k at diwali offer,its also a 09 model,the new models will mostly be available next month ,the sony BX400 however is a 2010 model,as always IMO sony in showrooms are way expensive,one can get the same BX400 in the grey market for about 45k to 46k.

me also looking for a new TV. This is what i have in mind

http://www.in.lge.com/Product/Products-Det...parent=LCD TV - LG 42LH70

http://www.in.lge.com/Product/Products-Det...parent=LCD TV - LG42LH50

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/tv-audi...&returnurl= - samsung LA40B550K

I am little bit inclined towards LG as i heard that samsung tv's have problems when viewing angle is not proper. LG doesn't seem to have this problem.

My budget is around 60 - 70K. Please help me decide a model. If some other model is better than the ones i mentioned let me know.

If any body has already taken LG models plz lemme know their personal experiences.

I bought LG42LF20 around Diwali time for 45k. Am really happy with it. The only possible con is the sound output but you can get around that with a HT.

Best bang for your buck IMHO.

The Sony BX400 adder/Udit has mentioned in their posts is a 2010 model. Take a demo at the nearest Sony/Chroma outlet and get it from a local electronics outlet with warranty.

swordfish123 said:
Isint the Sony W series better than these new 2010 models. Last i heard 40"W series was around 65k.

the EX500 is the replacement for the W sereies .in terms of build and sound quality ,yes the W series is better.but the new models are still better most of the competition in build quality.

Do these new models bring in any form of picture quality improvement .. Sure they can have better contrast ratios but that doesnt translate into better PQ rite?

Took a demo of both the models i mentioned in the 1st post. Though i'm not good at minutely judging IQ, i found the Sammy's colors much more vibrant. Calibration issues mayb. But as i'm going to use the panel connected via PC mostly, i think i'll go with Udit's advice here......

Any info about the similarly sized plasmas?

mithun said:
Took a demo of both the models i mentioned in the 1st post. Though i'm not good at minutely judging IQ, i found the Sammy's colors much more vibrant. Calibration issues mayb. But as i'm going to use the panel connected via PC mostly, i think i'll go with Udit's advice here......
Any info about the similarly sized plasmas?

plasma has horrible unreadable text when attached to the PC
only in-game text & subtitles are ok

well in todays standard why would one want to buy a HD ready lcd,most HD ready lcd panel are of previous generation tech vs the newer FHD panels based on the latest tech.

^^but buying HD TV and running Tata-Sky on it won't be bad idea? as i have seen that when Tata-sky runs on 1920x1080 it don't give good pic quality as compare to lower resolution.

Happy Singh said:
^^but buying HD TV and running Tata-Sky on it won't be bad idea? as i have seen that when Tata-sky runs on 1920x1080 it don't give good pic quality as compare to lower resolution.

If you won't be watching HD stuff or playing HD games then it doesn't matter whether its FHD or HD ready.

But as adder said, HD ready ones are old models (and old tech too).

HD ready ones will also be 16:9 so the picture will look slightly stretched on them too.
As for resolution, some FHD TVs also have good PQ for SD content, like those LED backlit ones (this is a personal experience).

To put it simply, if you plan to use the TV for 5+ years, then try to go with something that is a bit, if not entirely, future-proof (referring to FHD here).

kestrel5915 said:
If you won't be watching HD stuff or playing HD games then it doesn't matter whether its FHD or HD ready.

But as adder said, HD ready ones are old models (and old tech too).

HD ready ones will also be 16:9 so the picture will look slightly stretched on them too.
As for resolution, some FHD TVs also have good PQ for SD content, like those LED backlit ones (this is a personal experience).

The main purpose is watching TV through any dish connection like tata-sky. you said HD ready will be 16.9:huh: then what about Full HD i think Full HD are 16:9. i want to ask you guys that will there be any difference in pic quality by changing the disk connectivity like now a days there is something mpeg4 set-up boxes from Airtel will there be any difference as compare to Tata-Sky?

Back