CPU/Mobo 48 cores, Intel Bangalore!!

Aces170

ex-Mod
PC Perspective - Intel Shows 48-core x86 Processor as Single-chip Cloud Computer

Intel unveiled a completely new processor design today the company is dubbing the "Single-chip Cloud Computer" (but was previously codenamed Bangalore). Justin Rattner, the company's CTO, discussed the new product at a press event in Santa Clara and revealed some interesting information about the goals and design of the new CPU.

What uses could Intel find for a processor like this? Intel points to segments like financial analytics, physics modeling, HPC parallel workloads, complex web searching and more.

wow, 48 full x86 cores!! and its codenamed Bangalore!!:hap2:

anyone know why exactly its codenamed bangalore, did it get designed or something here?

I think it was something to do with traffic in Bangalore. Intel wanted to show-off similar high-traffic of data between cores. Imagine 48 cores low-profile (atom) cores as Bangalorian auto-rickshaws and then imagine CPU interconnect as any signal in Bangalore. :bleh:

iGo said:
I think it was something to do with traffic in Bangalore. Intel wanted to show-off similar high-traffic of data between cores. Imagine 48 cores low-profile (atom) cores as Bangalorian auto-rickshaws and then imagine CPU interconnect as any signal in Bangalore. :bleh:

haha..:rofl:
yeah maybe, it is the reason they named it bangalore..
its successor wll be bangaluru..:eek:hyeah:

iGo said:

lol, that has to be it :clap:

then may be AMD will launch something code named
'hyderabad' with 100+ cores:eek:hyeah::rofl:

even that would be not enough when compared to hyderabad traffic

Thats def. impressive but the issue is not core count but the achieved performance improvement. The improvement increase is exponentially decreasing as core count increases for general purpose computing( visible from 20+ cores) but its different for cloud computing. So well have to look at its performance, if intel has something special for it?

In the mean time check this out

This latest generation processor family features devices with 16 to 100 identical processor cores (tiles) interconnected with Tilera's iMeshâ„¢ on-chip network. Each tile consists of a complete, full featured processor as well as L1 & L2 cache and a non-blocking switch that connect the tiles into the mesh. As with all Tilera processors, each tile can independently run a full operating system, or, multiple tiles taken together can run a multiprocessing OS like SMP Linux.
"100 core proccy"Tilera Corporation

Just imagine when each core is as powerful as a single Phenom II core or I7 core. :rofl:

zopeon said:
Just imagine when each core is as powerful as a single Phenom II core or I7 core.

Then imagine the kind of power draw and heat dissipation requirements this 100-core monster will demand.... lifetime supply of LN2, anyone? :bleh:

ocizer said:
then may be AMD will launch something code named
'hyderabad' with 100+ cores:eek:hyeah::rofl:

even that would be not enough when compared to hyderabad traffic

Then will Intel/AMD Mumbai be 500+ Cores ?

LOL :bleh:

bang galore is what they have combined for bangalore. :cool2:

So when you install that processor there will be a huge bang!! boom! in the psu followed by some fireworks sparking galore in the entire setup. :rofl::bleh:

thus the codename itself warns the buyer

@Aces170: I know.... I was referring to Zopeon's comment on each core being of phenom-II or core-i7. Imagine 100s of core made of those. :)

Then imagine the kind of power draw and heat dissipation requirements this 100-core monster will demand.... lifetime supply of LN2, anyone?

Let me reframe/clarify it. I meant peformance of a single core on par with a single core of a quad core Phenom II or i7. Yes just putting it in existing form will require a power plant to power it with LN2 to cool it! but considering the trend of incrsd performance/watt. And adoption of parallel progrmng structure. Yes its alot of ifs n buts!

scc-h-wafer-sm_540x536.jpg

Intel debuted and demonstrated its Single-chip Cloud Computer (SCC) processor Wednesday. The processor has 48 cores--24 dual-core "tiles"--connected with a high-speed mesh network. Intel wants the experimental chip, at least 100 of which it'll distribute to researchers in 2010, to lead to new attempts to tackle multicore system and software design. Ultimately, Intel believes its aggressive multicore approach will be the way computers get enough power for tasks such as vision and speech comparable to what humans have.

SOURCE-Close-up of SCC chip image - Intel's 48-core processor debut (photos) - CNET News

Mods If This Thread is Posted in the Wrong Section then Please Move it..

Back