Graphic Cards 4890 or 4870 on CM EP 600w

psyph3r

Skilled
So i m ordering one of these in a day.
Just want to use the card till the GT3xx launches
Dont wanna change the PSU yet.
So the max power consumptions of these 2 cards are not much more than my 8800gt i sold.
So which one do i get ?

though it wil run but not reccomended

i suggest u get ur psu now itself since that one of the component area where prices rarely fluctuate..

a vx 550 will do fine and will make sure that u have enough juice for gt 3xx series

Since u r planning to buy , I wud recommend ATI 5770 - 11.5k. It will be best with ur psu.

LAter when GTX 300 arrives sell this and get a new Gtx 300 or Ati 5870 whichever u want.

If u don't want Ati 5770 , take 4890 now but i wud stand my ground regarding Ati 5770.

But seriously consider changing ur psu to TX 650 or VX 550 for GTx 300.

U will be gambling with ur gpu.

If your are planning to use it for a short while only, then take the 4870. Costs less and less loss when u sell it. But as others have mentioned, invest in a PSU before that. And if you are getting the GT3XX series later on, then u will anyway have to invest in a new PSU.

psyph3r said:
Dont plan to change psu now.

With respects, do you plan to run around getting the card (atleast) RMAed? Warranty will be voided if any of the hardware is burnt. I am sure you do know the outcome of damage done by ep 600w once you run a search on the forums, so its your call if you want to go ahead.

Rest the advice is something which is always repeated whenever people ask about using ep600w, so there's nothing more to add.

Razvan-Sedekiah said:
Since u r planning to buy , I wud recommend ATI 5770 - 11.5k. It will be best with ur psu.

LAter when GTX 300 arrives sell this and get a new Gtx 300 or Ati 5870 whichever u want.

If u don't want Ati 5770 , take 4890 now but i wud stand my ground regarding Ati 5770.

But seriously consider changing ur psu to TX 650 or VX 550 for GTx 300.

U will be gambling with ur gpu.

++11

5770 will run cool on it, but 4870/4890 will be bit of a risk especially with a power hungry PII X4 955 BE.

Thanx a lot for the suggestions guys.

I do know i m runnin a risk here and would love to jump onto the 5770 for being on the safer side , but its a bit overpriced imo .

Yes Razvan i would nt risk runnin the GT300 on this piece of shit PSU.

4870 is a safe bet now i guess, not much power hungry, not much loss when sellin it :p

Please keep in mind that at the moment Ati 5770 will be the best for ur psu.

Ati 5770 being dx11 u can sell for a greater amount than 4870.

LAter on sell it and grab the gtx 300 or Ati 5870

What if "god forbid" this 4870 gets burnt? Whom will u sell it to, huh ?

I've used a GTX 260 Black Edition for quite a while on the CM600 without running into problems, also used to run a 8800gts 320mb OC and 8800gt OC for a couple of years.. no card went bad, and the PSU is still running fine... anything higher than the said cards and u'll need a better PSU

The Sorcerer said:
With respects, do you plan to run around getting the card (atleast) RMAed? Warranty will be voided if any of the hardware is burnt. I am sure you do know the outcome of damage done by ep 600w once you run a search on the forums, so its your call if you want to go ahead.
Rest the advice is something which is always repeated whenever people ask about using ep600w, so there's nothing more to add.

Mate,

Very nicely put up ! Couldnt have agreed more with you.

sathyanaidu said:
I've used a GTX 260 Black Edition for quite a while on the CM600 without running into problems, also used to run a 8800gts 320mb OC and 8800gt OC for a couple of years.. no card went bad, and the PSU is still running fine... anything higher than the said cards and u'll need a better PSU

As said for zillion times, CM extreme series PSUs have very high failure rates and when they fail/blow off, they take PC parts along with them, especially the GPU.

Shit u guys are just fanboys :p

I just bought a 260 superclocked card and played Modern Warfare 2 for 2 hrs straight without a hitch.

psyph3r said:
Shit u guys are just fanboys :p
I just bought a 260 superclocked card and played Modern Warfare 2 for 2 hrs straight without a hitch.

History always repeats itself.

I guess i didn't believe it , but now i do.

Takes guts to gamble with ur gpu .

Congrats buddy

Yeah, I agree that 5770 is a much better option for you. Get that instead of the 4870. It is GDDR5 and 40nm and lot lower power consumption. You could get the 5870 or the later arriving dual card of ATI.

@psyph3r

there are good CM PSUs too, like the Real Power series.

Get a RP Pro 550, and nobody would talk a word about upgrading the PSU, to any other brand or somethin. But the EP series is just too unreliable, though it looks like a quality one.

dude what problem you have shifting to a reliable psu??

We arent saying its BAD but not GOOD for what you want.

vx 550 will serve you nicely. You can sell you cm600 in market section. You will find many buyers. :)

apply logic and do justice....we dont show off but recommend whats good.

anyways still your wish.....after all its you to decide...Finally. :|

Back