5600x high idle temperatures

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Guys I have assembled my rig however I'm quite very much annoyed due to very high idle cpu temps at stock!

I googled and made few bios settings and now Bios reports idle temps as 45c but when booted to windows it shows 60c.

But but but earlier bios displayed stock idle temps as 63c but then I haven't installed windows else I'm sure it would have easily crossed 80c mark. Spend entire day through googling/forums etc. and found many settings using which I was able to bring down the temps from 63 - 45c.

Many guys here own 5600x so would like to know their idle temps and what exactly they did to lower it down to under 40s or even less.
I'm sure there are specific bios settings to considerably reduce the temps.

And many other on the internet who have AIOs and good coolers struggling to have a very decent usual idle temps.

My setup:
5600x @stock/ on default HSF/ on Latest bios
Asus strix b550-F Wifi
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB
Nvidia 3060ti

Room ambient temp under 15c.

I tried Arctic silver 5 compound but same effect.

Last edited:
I have a 5600X in an ITX build (SG13 cabinet). Initially, I used the stock cooler and paste but it was idling above 60 and going up to 90 easily. Mine is able to take a -30 offset in curve optimizer with stock power and current limits. After undervolting, I was barely able to keep it just under 85 degrees in games but extended load made it throttle to 4 GHz all core. Idling did not change much even after the undervolt. I think the Wraith stealth cooler is just bad at soaking up sudden spikes in usage without the fan ramping up.

Eventually, I gave up on the stock HSF and switched to a Corsair H60 and Kryonaut. Along with the undervolt, it idles at 38-40. Doing something light like browsing etc, it stays at around 45 degrees. In games, it's usually around 55 degrees. In CPU-heavy titles, it's around 62-65. Under prolonged 100% load for hours, it hits 67 degrees max with an all-core boost of 4.5GHz. Voltage is 1.2 at full load. No more throttling.

The ambient should be around 20-23 degrees in my room.

The 5600x runs hot with stock cooler. I used hyper 212 BE with kingpin kpx and it used to idle under 40. This was in a mini itx case NR200 with an ATX psu.

I suggest get the arctic esports duo 34 and use gelid extreme thermal paste.

Many guys here own 5600x so would like to know their idle temps and what exactly they did to lower it down to under 40s or even less.
I'm sure there are specific bios settings to considerably reduce the temps.
I'd sold my Asus strix b550-F Wifi to a fellow member here and he is also running 5600x with corsair vengeance lpx ram and NOCTUA NH-U12S chromax Black cooler.
Idle temps are absolutely normal, confirmed today morning only.
Running latest Bios revision at default factory settings -

IMG-20220130-WA0001.jpgIMG-20220130-WA0002.jpgIMG-20220130-WA0006.jpgIMG-20220130-WA0007.jpg

5600x and some other ryzen processors usually runs hot but 62 C at idle isn't normal.
I can understand you were able to bring down the temps from 63 - 45c with some settings change
but it should maintain normal idle temps without touching BIOS or other windows settings.
Arctic mx5 is one of the best thermal paste you're using.
Very unlikely but may be you've applied the thermal paste a bit more by mistake ? or contact with the heatsink is uneven.
Stock cooler is good but may not be the best for this CPU.
You can try reseating the CPU cooler and if problem persists try swapping to some other CPU cooler.
like itzmydamnlyf said arctic esports duo 34 is an excellent choice with much much much better customer support than Noctua (Personal exp. with customer support for both brands).
Also try slowing down intake and exhaust fans (cabinet fans) speed.

congrats on your new build.

Very unlikely but may be you've applied the thermal paste a bit more by mistake ? or contact with the heatsink is uneven.
Stock cooler is good but may not be the best for this CPU.
You can try reseating the CPU cooler and if problem persists try swapping to some other CPU cooler.
This is my guess as well. 5600X is a 65W TDP chip and stock cooler should be sufficient for a normal ATX case.
Ambient 15C and Idles at 60C is absolutely not normal even with stock cooler.

Running Ryzen 5600x with Deepcool AS500 and an additional Noctua NF A15 fan. Ambient is 29~32C, Idles at 37~39 if just light browsing, 42~44c post gaming sessions, Load temps 67~71c.
Additional info.
Using a Deepcool Tesseract case , Kryonaut thermal paste.

Finally issue sorted out..
I didn't noticed that back plate of the mobo comes out as soon as the screws are removed off the latch on which HSF seats.
Assuming during the first mounting of HSF over the proccy it might have gone mounted incorrectly or a bit tilted hence the unreal temps.

This time I used MX4 and carefully seated the mobo on a flat surface and mounted HSF ensuring it seated just correct!

Now idle temps are under 45c mostly and during Cinebnech/benchmark s it goes to 63c and depending on games it can be anyway from 57c to 72c.

1643789631032.png
1643789659999.png

Tested on stock bios settings as well as PBO/curve optimizer tweaks, the difference wasnt noticeable during idle and mid loads however during gaming or cinebench the proccy uses full wattage in fact beyond its 65w TDP up to 76W which shoots the temps to 75c hence resorted to a safe PBO/curve optimizer tweaks.

5 series are very very sensitive to higher frequencies aka extremely active and I really do not require such over-activeness hence the later works just fine for my requirements!

Finally issue sorted out..
I didn't noticed that back plate of the mobo comes out as soon as the screws are removed off the latch on which HSF seats.
Assuming during the first mounting of HSF over the proccy it might have gone mounted incorrectly or a bit tilted hence the unreal temps.

5 series are very very sensitive to higher frequencies aka extremely active and I really do not require such over-activeness hence the later works just fine for my requirements!
Told ya... This might be your first AM4 build I assume? Good that you sorted out your mounting issues.
Yes the CPU shoots over 65W TDP (stock, full load at base frequencies) due to boost clocks. If you don't want that and also want to reduce your idle power consumption by a good margin then I'd suggest keeping max processor state as 99% in windows power settings.

1643790764508.png

This keeps the CPU chilling, avoids unnecessary boost and keeps idle power usage under 25-30W. You can turn it back to 100% when gaming if you need that boost, I'm fine without it.

Last edited:
Told ya... This might be your first AM4 build I assume? Good that you sorted out your mounting issues.
Yes the CPU shoots over 65W TDP (stock, full load at base frequencies) due to boost clocks. If you don't want that and also want to reduce your idle power consumption by a good margin then I'd suggest keeping max processor state as 99% in windows power settings.

View attachment 125632

This keeps the CPU chilling, avoids unnecessary boost and keeps idle power usage under 25-30W. You can turn it back to 100% when gaming if you need that boost, I'm fine without it.
Yes man did that setting.

@nRiTeCh glad your issue got resolved. Just as FYI,

Ryzen 5XXX series usually runs at very high temps. This is due to the very small core complex (CCX) which, despite consuming very low wattages, concentrates all the heat in specific spots. IHS does distribute this heat but it still ends up causing hot spots which gets reported as high temps. This is why a 5800x is even more difficult to cool as the whole CCX is enabled in that (8/8 cores in CCX vs 6/8 cores for 5600x or 5900x).

I honestly feel that limiting performance by power limiting the processor through BIOS setting or via windows power state is not worth doing, specially if you are gaming where you need all the single core performance boost that you can get.

You should use curve optimizer with negative offsets along with an aftermarket cooler(Any tower cooler will do). I also have a 5600x & last time I checked, I was running it at -28 offset in all but 2 cores (-24) with ~ 100MHz boost. For cooling, I am using a cheap ass Deepcool gammax v2 ( ~ 1300 bucks) with a single Arctic fan (Stock one is fine). Everything now runs at cool & quite at ~ 40 degrees idle & ~ 60-65 degrees while gaming. This also results in boost clocks that are roughly around 4.6-4.75 GHz most of the time while gaming. With full load, temps never exceed 85 degrees which TBH sounds high but is actually very normal for these chips. All of this nets me a roughly 10% performance, a sustained ~ 4.5 GHZ all core boost while also decreasing peak power draw from 76W -> ~70W.

Basically these chips will try to boost as much as possible (Till the max boost you have configured) as long as the power budget is not exceeded & the temps are under 95 degrees. Point is they are designed from factory to run at up to 95 degree to squeeze all the performance.

Those temps are pretty decent for the stock cooler. But TBH you can allow the CPU to boost higher (As long as the fan noise is tolerable). These chips run fine at higher temps like @DanteErodov said. You'll be missing out on some of the single threaded gains of the 5000 series.

In my cabinet the PSU sits right above the cooler and blocks airflow. So an AIO was more suitable. Else I would prefer air cooling myself (Especially for an efficient chip like the 5600x).

My 5800x runs under 38 degrees on normal usage. Paired it with hyper 212x and lian li lancool 215 for as much air movement as possible. Your 5600x can run lot cooler and can run lot faster if you pair it with the right cooler. Invest in one.
Also, can you share photo of your cabinet insides?

Not first but first 5600x! Usually the backplatws shouldn't be so loose but may be asus has got it this loose!
Those temps are pretty decent for the stock cooler. But TBH you can allow the CPU to boost higher (As long as the fan noise is tolerable). These chips run fine at higher temps like @DanteErodov said. You'll be missing out on some of the single threaded gains of the 5000 series.

In my cabinet the PSU sits right above the cooler and blocks airflow. So an AIO was more suitable. Else I would prefer air cooling myself (Especially for an efficient chip like the 5600x).
AIO and Air cooler I'm still in a tiff so currently happy with stocks. May be in summers will get a clear picture. Also, I'm very inclined towards AIO as got bored with Air coolers for 2+ decades and looks very neat but again spending on Aios is like bomb 8k+ at least for a good one. Else no hurries and cant wait for a good AIo deal.

My 5800x runs under 38 degrees on normal usage.
Please let me know what are your ambient temps? My 5800x idle (absolutely no usage at all) is 36-38 (now, since it's relatively cool in Mumbai). But it spikes like shit, Normal, I hear, but annoying when u have set custom fan curves.

Sorry for going OT on this thread.

Please let me know what are your ambient temps? My 5800x idle (absolutely no usage at all) is 36-38 (now, since it's relatively cool in Mumbai). But it spikes like shit, Normal, I hear, but annoying when u have set custom fan curves.

Sorry for going OT on this thread.
Stock cooler?
As I said, real picture will be cleared only in real summers..April/May. Only then one can decide if anything special needs o be done..

I know this information has already been shared here. But still would share with everyone that I also got a 5600x yesterday and used my existing Deep Cool Gamax 400 v2 tower cooler, and it keeps idle temps around 38 and max it has gone so far is 65 during gaming and cpu-z stress test. The temps are same as my old 3600.

Stock cooler?
As I said, real picture will be cleared only in real summers..April/May. Only then one can decide if anything special needs o be done..
5800x does not come with a stock cooler. I'm using an NXZT x53. My max temps i have seen during a short CPU stress is 86C.
I know this information has already been shared here. But still would share with everyone that I also got a 5600x yesterday and used my existing Deep Cool Gamax 400 v2 tower cooler, and it keeps idle temps around 38 and max it has gone so far is 65 during gaming and cpu-z stress test. The temps are same as my old 3600.
Those max temps are good, my old 5600x used to reach 76-78 using an old 120 AIO.

what's the ambient temp?

Back