i recently assembled the below system :
AMD 5900x
Asus b550f Mobo
Corsair 16gb*2 @3600mhz(XMP) CL18
Kraken X63 AIO
RTX 3080FE
Corsair RM750x PSU
Lian Li 215 Case

i have PBO on auto in Bios and nothing else i have changed.
My 5900x goes on Max voltage (1.47V) even on a very minimum work load.
my temps on idle stays at 45-50deg Celsius.
Ryzen Master and HWINFO64 shows different readings on idle.
under 100% load stress test my voltage stays at 1.2V and Clock at 4.2Ghz all core.

idk if this is normal ? i haven't found any help on this anywhere.

i come from an intel 6700K and have no experience of overclocking and i dont want to overclock.

appreciate some help on this.

Yes this is normal behaviour for both ryzen 3000 and ryzen 5000 series chips. At low loads the boost algorithm boosts cores to higher clocks which requires higher voltages.

Very easy to reduce the voltage, that should solve the problem. Fix the voltage at 1.3v and see if it works fine. If that works keep going lower till you find instabilities.

Yes this is normal behaviour for both ryzen 3000 and ryzen 5000 series chips. At low loads the boost algorithm boosts cores to higher clocks which requires higher voltages.
i was loosing my mind over this. also the temps goes up till 60deg on minimum load is that normal too ? i have a kraken x63
Very easy to reduce the voltage, that should solve the problem. Fix the voltage at 1.3v and see if it works fine. If that works keep going lower till you find instabilities.
wont this limit my max boost frequency ?
+1. Nothing to worry about.
thanks man ... any idea about the temps tho ?

this are normal temps and voltage. running my 5900X at 4.7ghz to 4.6ghz at 1.4v. temps are below 50c on normal usage at the moment. lets see what summers have to offer.

You can set the voltage offset to 0.1V and work your way upwards after checking the stability of the PC with high loads. On my 3900X I had to set the offset to 0.2V.

this are normal temps and voltage. running my 5900X at 4.7ghz to 4.6ghz at 1.4v. temps are below 50c on normal usage at the moment. lets see what summers have to offer.
wait , 5900x @4.7ghz @1.4V that too under 50C ?? how
AIO. was going some compression and the temp when for 68 to 74 deg.

AIO. was going some compression and the temp when for 68 to 74 deg.
which software you are using to monitor your cpu, i use NZXT CAM and ryzen master and both show different reading ,,and HWinfo64 shows different

which software you are using to monitor your cpu, i use NZXT CAM and ryzen master and both show different reading ,,and HWinfo64 shows different
core temp. can have set it to show the highest core temp as it can show temp of all the cores but as I am using this in my taskbar its better ti stick with only one core temp.

1612335224021.png

red one is cpu temp, next to is power consumtion, then ram consumtion and last one is cpu load.

there was one video on youtube which I saw and did the oc directly and it worked for me. though he did a 4.75ghz. you can try to find the same video and get the best out off the 5900x at safe and stable OC.

Back