Storage Solutions 5TB from Amazon global.

6pack

ex-Mod
Looking out for a new HDD for backing up my failing 3TB Toshiba disk. I had high hopes for the new hdd thinking it wouldn't fail after 3 months going strong but it got me.

Amazon Global is selling the 5TB Seagate external backup drive for Rs 8609/- plus import fees + delivery charges, for a total of Rs 10,112.22.

Even 4TB external on Amazon or any other site in India is costlier than this. Only drawback is no warranty. Either way warranty in India is just 2 years now I think.
Would buying this drive make sense or should I get a 4TB from Amazon or eBay for 11k?

Pros: Seagate externals (the ones I have - around 3 of them are all running well from 3+ years)
Cons: no warranty. If it arrives DOA, I wouldn't know what to do then.

eBay sucks. I think they banned my area from buying HDDs. Any seller I try to buy a hdd (internal or external) I get this stupid message:
Sorry, the item cannot be shipped to the address. Please change the address or remove the item

Another thing I saw in reviews on the 5TB HDD Amazon was selling was the hdd part number STDB5000. The STDB series seems to over heat a lot according to some reviews on Newegg and Amazon.com. The newer STDT5000 series has holes everywhere in the case and higher legs so it has more passive cooling it seems. Amazon India has not listed the new STDT series in 5TB though.

eBay sucks. I think they banned my area from buying HDDs. Any seller I try to buy a hdd (internal or external) I get this stupid message:

Another thing I saw in reviews on the 5TB HDD Amazon was selling was the hdd part number STDB5000. The STDB series seems to over heat a lot according to some reviews on Newegg and Amazon.com. The newer STDT5000 series has holes everywhere in the case and higher legs so it has more passive cooling it seems. Amazon India has not listed the new STDT series in 5TB though.

Here - They Listed but the price is much higher as it comes with Warranty.

http://www.amazon.in/Seagate-STDT50...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0RXFMNKVD6VKFHFRGYSA

Here - They Listed but the price is much higher as it comes with Warranty.

http://www.amazon.in/Seagate-STDT50...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0RXFMNKVD6VKFHFRGYSA

Yeah, but the price is too high. In 17k, Amazon gives imported 8TB hdd with no warranty vs this 4TB hdd with 2 or 3 years warranty.
Thinking of buying an internal hdd - Seagate Barracuda for 10.2k.
How prices suddenly increased for the hdds now? I got 3Tb for around 6.5k in Nov or Dec 2014 and now all of the prices are around 8k.

I was thinking of buying another WD20EFRX a few months ago, but put it off coz i just reorganised my stuff and cleared up more space.

Now, i noticed that on amazon.in, the price hasn't really gone down, it's in the 8k range, whereas others are selling close to 7k and from one ebay seller i can get it for 6.6k after applying a 10% coupon. What gives amazon.in???

I was thinking of buying another WD20EFRX a few months ago, but put it off coz i just reorganised my stuff and cleared up more space.

Now, i noticed that on amazon.in, the price hasn't really gone down, it's in the 8k range, whereas others are selling close to 7k and from one ebay seller i can get it for 6.6k after applying a 10% coupon. What gives amazon.in???

Yesterday I saw some chump selling a 2TB internal HDD for 8.9k. Where do these sellers come from and what do they think when putting the prices in the price field? Must be high or something.

Also yesterday I found out the cons of getting an internal hdd.

Opened the comp to connect an old hdd so that taking backups would be faster.
Saw dust everywhere. Started cleaning and by the time I knew, 2 hours had gone by. I put back everything and thankfully everything worked. Today morning got error of ram and has to take everything out. Started cleaning fans, CPU heatsink etc and then left every thing out in open. Lot of work this evening now. :(
If I had an external HDD, I probably would have saved a lot of time in not cleaning and having to put everything back.

Any risk in buying from ebay? Prices are better than amazon plus you can apply 8/10% coupons...

No risk. The only minus point I saw was, service center does not take invoice date for warranty but take mfg date on HDD.

BTW, there's a 4TB WD portable black going on sale on the Amazon app for 9999/-.

I wanted to cancel my 3TB order but it does not allow now for some reason even if it hasn't been shipped. It's still in that preparing order status from morning.

I think if you call amazon CC they will help you cancel. the online thing is usually in limbo, and then in the end sometimes it cancels sometimes it ships.

I would suggest keep the drive from amazon. But call CC and tell them FK has the same for a lower price and if they don't price match you will refuse delivery and/or return the order.

Difference is only 164 bucks btw so ...

I would suggest keep the drive from amazon. But call CC and tell them FK has the same for a lower price and if they don't price match you will refuse delivery and/or return the order.

Difference is only 164 bucks btw so ...
It got shipped. I'll keep it and use it even if the difference is 164 rupees.
Need some storage space badly. Ended up deleting a lot of old unwanted stuff too but the free space got filled up from other drives fast. Even this 3TB wont last 3 months IMO, since I already have ~2TB to backup from the old failed 3TB Toshiba disk on to this. Hope hdd prices come down so much that I can buy 2 more 3TB hdd's in 10k.

Damn. I worry about whether the hdd will be DoA now after looking at how it was packed in the box. It came with the USB 3 dock. No bubblewrap. No sort of foam or padding to stop it from banging the sides of the box in transit. Plus summer and was warm when inside the box.

hdd-feb2017.jpg

Back