Graphic Cards 6800 128mb AGP Underperforming

vercetti

Skilled
Hey guys,

i recently bought a second hand EVGA 6800 128mb agp.
U can find the specs here

i am not getting good frame rates on any of the new games.
My PC config is not that good. Here it is:
AMD Athlon 2400+
Asus a-7v8x-x motherboard
768 mb ddr ram @ 266hz
120 Gb seagate baracuda

here are my results:
Fear : 1024*768 AA-2x, AF-0 ~~ 38 FPS
NFS Most wanted: 1024*768 AA-2x, AF-0 ~~ 40 FPS
More games ...but was not able to check out the frame rates

Pls help guys:(

You are getting good enough frame rates for that setup. In fact you are luck you get some fram rates.

Your card is basically on power with a 6600GT.

A 6600GT + 1GB ram + Amd 64 =
FEAR : 10X7 MED smooth
Most Wanted : 10X7 med or med to high

Seriously, how are you getting these high fps on Amd Athlon XP 2400, <1gb ram and 6800?

40fps for most wanted is considered playable, .

Use 0x AA, 0x AF, put nvidia driver settings to max performance.

AH mr TB back as ultimate giving some excellent english lessons to everyone here
:SYour card is basically on "power" with a 6600GT:S
:rofl:

@VERCETTI .. i am not at all surprised by the Fear performance...u need truckloads of RAM for it... :p turn off AA
and ur card is on par with a 6600gt ... go check the toms hardware vga charts for head to head comparisons :)

comin to Nfsmost wanted... u might wanna switch off AA ...ur frame rates must hit 50+ then and since u do not have Uber fast memory u must turn world detail down as well... reduce texture filtering as well... do all this and u should be up to 60fps in no time :D ..the RAM is ur bottleneck and ur CPU as well ...up to an extent :)

vercetti said:
Hey guys,

i recently bought a second hand EVGA 6800 128mb agp.
U can find the specs here

i am not getting good frame rates on any of the new games.
My PC config is not that good. Here it is:
AMD Athlon 2400+
Asus a-7v8x-x motherboard
768 mb ddr ram @ 266hz
120 Gb seagate baracuda

here are my results:
Fear : 1024*768 AA-2x, AF-0 ~~ 38 FPS
NFS Most wanted: 1024*768 AA-2x, AF-0 ~~ 40 FPS
More games ...but was not able to check out the frame rates

Pls help guys:(

The card is just fine.. its your PC thats holding you back.
The 2400 and the 768 of 266mhz ram is really holding that card back.

Try and overclock the card too, it overclocks quite well. Also if im not mistaken the 6800 AGP can sometimes unlock the extra pipelines.

I feel it is the rest of your rig..... They could be bottlenecking your 6800.....

Also, in such cases, do a clean reinstall of XP, then your mobo drivers, then a clean install of the GPU drivers (first uninstall the old drivers..... run Driver Cleaner....reboot and reinstall the latest drivers and then reboot again )

Also, think abt oc'ing the rest of the system....

u cant get better frame rates playing fear out of that card...

1800XT 1280*960 everything maxed out i get around 55 in Fear with opty 170 # 2.4 and 2 gb 400MHZ ram...

^^ The card is giving you excellent scores.

You'll need atleast 1GB of DDR400 and an A64 to get the max out of it.

@ shrey - Its 16 Pixel pipes, and 6 Vertex Pipes :)

I was getting some 28-33 FPS when I first installed my card.

Then I reinstalled XP and got the latest drivers for Nvidia, Incrased the size of page memory to 2gb, partioned my c drive to 15 gb, .... And got some boost in my performance...

One more thing.... I have a Ibox 400 watts PSU.... this could also be a culprit:(

I will try overclocking... but after reading the forums as I am quite new to this overclocking...and I might need to buy some coolers

I guess upgrading my PC to 64 bit will not make sense as it would mean gettin a PCI card....and I have already invested a lot in this card.. Right fellas?

Back