CPU/Mobo 7700k delidding advice

jai1611

Patron
I recently built a 7700k system. Even after putting a Noctua NH-D15, temps are still not a level where I would be comfortable overclocking significantly (high 60s-low 70s while gaming, low 80s on stress tests with no overclocking). I was wondering if anyone has experience delidding an intel CPU? Particularly looking for advise on:
a) if its worth doing? Ideally I want to get the CPU to 5ghz. Too afraid to even try a mild overclock with current temps
b) availability of delidding tools in India?
c) Also, any local sources for liquid metal paste and advise on which glue to use to relid

Thanks in advance for any help.

First, you need to check if you can get to higher clocks to start with. Not all CPU's are equal and some will do better clocks than others. Secondly, at what wattage will it do 5.0 Ghz and whether that is within decent limits.

If you are able to ascertain this, then you can go ahead and delid. I had to go through a couple of chips before delidding. And since we didnt have any delidding tools then, I did it with a blade and it worked out fine. Liquid thermal paste can be bought easily from abroad. Not a big deal.

First, you need to check if you can get to higher clocks to start with. Not all CPU's are equal and some will do better clocks than others. Secondly, at what wattage will it do 5.0 Ghz and whether that is within decent limits.

If you are able to ascertain this, then you can go ahead and delid. I had to go through a couple of chips before delidding. And since we didnt have any delidding tools then, I did it with a blade and it worked out fine. Liquid thermal paste can be bought easily from abroad. Not a big deal.
Thanks. Will do a bit of overclock experimentation before deciding.

This is exactly why I didn't get a kaby lake and got a ryzen. The thermal paste used by Intel under the IHS is absolute junk and even at stock frequencies, the CPU hits some crazy temperatures.

You can buy the 3d printed delidding tools for 20$ or so on ebay. Same with liquid metal ultra. There are quite a few sellers that will ship to India

Also with Kaby lake, you have to be really careful as the PCB is really thin and cracks.

Tried overclocking over the last few days. Now running 4.7 ghz stable at 1.31v. Temps not notably higher. Stress test still low 80s. 4.8 takes it closer to 90 so avoided that (voltage 1.34). Feel 4.7 is good enough for now so putting the delidding idea on hold for the time being. Thinking the risk is not worth it for an extra 10pc performance. True test will be post monsoon though. If temps go too high may reconsider.

Thanks to everyone who replied and offered advise

Back