7950GT AGP in da house

sydras

Skilled
Well not much of a show-off as I did not take many pics but I got a 7950GT AGP :clap: ...yes you read right AGP :eek:hyeah: gfx card yesterday.

Core/Memory clocks are 550/1300 Mhz resp. The card idles at 53-55C and goes to 70C on load. I played F.E.A.R extraction point at 1024X768 res with all settings maxed. Smooth as butter.

I then underclocked the card and dropped the core/mem to 527/1250 Mhz. (I really don't need that much power.). Played F.E.A.R again. No real impact at all. Game still plays smooth.

I'd ideally like to drop the card even lower cuz I'm generally satisfied with 800X600 and medium quality settings. I just need smooth gameplay and I'd like to conserve power esp. when I keep my poorly cooled system overnight for dloading.

Anyone having 7900GTs or 7950GTs, please enlighten me on safe underclocks :ashamed: to keep the card cool and smooth.

Attachments

• xfxvi6.jpg
    xfxvi6.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 136
Thanks guys. But can you let me know if there might be any serious problems with underclocking? Like card failure etc?

I'm thinking of getting it in line with 7900GT clocks. Not too low. But am also thinking of dropping the 2D core clock at night to like 100Mhz....like I recently started doing with my 6800GT to save power.

This underclocked beast beats my factory OCed 6800GT by a huge margin :hap2: .

guptaji said:
coool purchase mat
didnt this existed..
wats the damage??

and why r u underclocking it..?

Neither did I. I just happened to browse newegg and there were some high end AGP cards listed there.
After comparing with the Radeon 1900/1950 XT/Pro/GT AGP versions, this seemed the best buy from design(single slot) and power(much lower load power req) perspective.

Damage was Rs 12,800/-.

I'm underclocking it to be on the safe side. Two things I notice about this card that concern me a bit are

1)the temp climbs very fast with this card from 54(idle) to 70-71(load).
It goes down very fast too back to 54C and is nowhere near the 66-68C idle and 88C load temps of my 6800GT but still, I'm concerned and until use ATITool to see what load temps are under continuous usage, I'll play it safe. And it's really powerful even in an underclocked state. Don't make sense to take a chance when I'm playing at 800X600 or max 1024X768 with a cramped no name cabby.

2) Cooler is noisy. I thought the single fan would be quieter vs the two smaller fans on my BFG. But the noise signature of the XFX fan is more pronounced and harsher than the softer sound of the BFG fans. I'm thinking of interchanging the coolers. Wonder if anyone has done this?

abhaybhegde said:
Congrats sydras !! i feel great to know there is an AGP guy like me :)

Thanks. Let's show these "PCI-E" :bleh: folks that we can still compete with them :p .

Unfortunately, such a card is for the better part, wasted on a guy like me most of the time. I'm not an avid gamer although I do like FPS games quite a bit. I just got it cause I want to feel smooth gameplay at a decent resolution.

Back