Storage Solutions 8.5 Gb Dvd

well, at lamington today, a dual layer sony dvd-r (8.5 gb) costs 390 bucks. the chap also mentioned a dvd-r of another brand (dont remember the name) for 235 bucks.

Im sure...we can get dual-layer DVDs someplace for cheaper than that!! I guess you must have asked those footpath-shops in lamington. They seem to quote widly for these dual-layer DVDs...

I havent bought them here, but then I got 25-pack from newegg at $40...

yeah, double layer DVD's are damn costly at the moment. you will easily get 5-10 regular DVD's for the price of one double layer one.

is there a way to split a 8.5 Gb iso of a movie on two single layered disc ? End of first disc should say 'Insert second disc to continue'

I know the attraction of a dual layer - i.e to store more data so that you have to keep a lesser no of discs lying around. This problem of storage has plagued us fellas from the days of floppies. If you're looking for storage, nothing beats hard drives. Flash/Optical/Magneto-optical/Zip drive/Orb drives nothing can compare to the ease and capacity of hard drives.
I recommend the foll. based on your requirement.

1)
If it's cost that is your main impediment, then you will have to keep using single layer DVDs. The advantage optical media have over magnetic media is that they are reliable if you take care of them. The disadvantage is slow reading and irritating sequential writing(random write packet writing softwares are just plain unreliable - I once lost all my data on such a floppy CD). Plus due to limited space, you will have to keep a box or two lying around.

2) If you have some cash, say around 5000 bucks and a lot of data to store, go for a 7200 r.p.m, 3.5 inch, 300 GB HDD and enclose it in a HDD USB casing that retails for around 800 bucks(Rs 2,000/- for firewire cum USB casing but you need a firewire port also on your PC). You will enjoy the ease of use of such a setup. Just be careful with the drive and don't treat this drive as a final resting place for your data. When you get some extra cash, go for another HDD and back up your backup to be safe.

3)
If you have around 7,000, go for a 5400 r.p.m, 100-120 GB, 2.5 inch laptop HDD in USB casing. You will love the fact that it does not need a power cable and can be driven by the USB data cable only(USB is a powered interface). As always with magnetic media, when the prices of HDDs come down, please get another HDD to back up your backup. Or at least, backup your critical data or the stuff you will never modify on DVDs. This will help you sleep safe at night :)

Hope this helps.

sydras said:
I know the attraction of a dual layer - i.e to store more data so that you have to keep a lesser no of discs lying around. This problem of storage has plagued us fellas from the days of floppies. If you're looking for storage, nothing beats hard drives. Flash/Optical/Magneto-optical/Zip drive/Orb drives nothing can compare to the ease and capacity of hard drives.
I recommend the foll. based on your requirement.

1)
If it's cost that is your main impediment, then you will have to keep using single layer DVDs. The advantage optical media have over magnetic media is that they are reliable if you take care of them. The disadvantage is slow reading and irritating sequential writing(random write packet writing softwares are just plain unreliable - I once lost all my data on such a floppy CD). Plus due to limited space, you will have to keep a box or two lying around.

2) If you have some cash, say around 5000 bucks and a lot of data to store, go for a 7200 r.p.m, 3.5 inch, 300 GB HDD and enclose it in a HDD USB casing that retails for around 800 bucks(Rs 2,000/- for firewire cum USB casing but you need a firewire port also on your PC). You will enjoy the ease of use of such a setup. Just be careful with the drive and don't treat this drive as a final resting place for your data. When you get some extra cash, go for another HDD and back up your backup to be safe.

3)
If you have around 7,000, go for a 5400 r.p.m, 100-120 GB, 2.5 inch laptop HDD in USB casing. You will love the fact that it does not need a power cable and can be driven by the USB data cable only(USB is a powered interface). As always with magnetic media, when the prices of HDDs come down, please get another HDD to back up your backup. Or at least, backup your critical data or the stuff you will never modify on DVDs. This will help you sleep safe at night :)

Hope this helps.
I sorry to say that HDD backup never safe. I suart , Due to flood arround 50,000 computer sunk. Around 90 % copmputer start again But 100 % hdd loss No one get data of hdd. Who have take backup on cd or dvd 100 % safe

Well, I don't know about floods but apart from natural calamities, I think the hard drive option would be ok. I could say the same for CDs too. I've lost data because I've put CDs in a poor quality CD case. The case material reacted with the CD bottom and I had to spend hours recovering my data. I even cracked a VCD from the library just by pulling it wrongly from the CD case and just like that, the movie was gone. (The lousy library owner took advantage and did not return my Rs 400/- deposit).

Bottomline...you have to be careful. Magnetic media are by nature more rugged than optical. But you have to keep in mind that you can accidentally delete your data very easily also because of such easy access via USB/Firewire.

Oh, and btw, do not remove the USB cable without safely disconnecting the HDD. 90% of the time. nothing will happen but if you have a game or something running from tht ext HDD, it will corrupt your data.

someone here had posted a link that shows that dvds can last longer then cds...

just that you need to take care ... like keep them dust free, store em neatly, keep them stacked so that they dont get scratched...

so if ya take good precautions.it would work for loing..

and haan.. btw... one of my friends... house was flooded on july 26th last year.. but the cds which were drenched. still worked flawlessly.... (he didnt have dvds. so dunno if dvds could have lasted)

Back