8 Core 16 Threads for future proofing?

GreenGrawlix

Disciple
Since the new consoles will be 8 cores and 16 threads is it likely going to be the standard over the next 6-7 years? If so does it make sense purchasing a 10700k or 3700x for purely gaming purposes over, say 3600x or 10600k?

Since the new consoles will be 8 cores and 16 threads is it likely going to be the standard over the next 6-7 years? If so does it make sense purchasing a 10700k or 3700x for purely gaming purposes over, say 3600x or 10600k?
for purely gaming go with intel. if 5600x was in consideration then AMD was the choice. 3700X is also good VFM. but for pure gaming at the listed one, INTEL.

There is nothing like future proofing. Nvidia just made their last gen obsolete. Even a 3060Ti goes toe to toe with the last gen flagship 2080Ti. Same goes for CPUs. There could be a new architecture introduced in the future. Buy the best you can get in your budget and which will serve you well now. Do not stretch it just for the sake of future proofing.

Also comparisons with consoles can be a tricky thing. The AMD CPUs in PS4 and XBOX were really weak and they were already outdated when they were introduced. Yet console games look very decent even now.

agree the future is always moving the goal posts, so there is no future proofing,
look at the last 10 generations of change

tho having said that for gaming even 4 gen old chips can old their own
it all depends what card are you pairing it with

check this comparision with a 2080ti as a discrete gpu
an i5 8400 is still 4% only away from ryzen 5 5600X for gaming at 2560x1440

Everything depends upon your usage.
If even in future you will play on 1080p then opting above i7-8700k is of no point.
As you won't see much of performance difference if your gpu is good enough.
But yeah if you are rendering videos or ML stuff then you need cores. Then I will suggest you to go for 8 cores.

yup and since he has requested in his intial Q for purely gaming purposes only........he doesnt need to worry about production or rendering

You can buy for now and rest be assured for next 3 yrs but your items will be phased out by that time so future proofing for me is barely 3-max 5 yrs.
You never know when intel might bounce back and turn the tables and all of sudden when nvidia comes with 4x series by last quarter next yr... then what about your investment in 3xxx gpus?

Yes, it will serve you well for at least a decade. Maybe you won't be able to launch the newest games on ultra settings in a few years, but it will work fine with mid-high settings.

The reason I ask is because I'm mulling over my 4k gaming rig and wondering whether it makes sense to spend a little bit more and get a 3700x over a 3600/3600x. I know at that resolution the CPU is almost immaterial but will it become more relevant in a few years?

The reason I ask is because I'm mulling over my 4k gaming rig and wondering whether it makes sense to spend a little bit more and get a 3700x over a 3600/3600x. I know at that resolution the CPU is almost immaterial but will it become more relevant in a few years?
For that money, buy a 5600x. For gaming it will be way better long term.

Getting a used 3700x comes out 10k cheaper than a brand new 5600x. At 4k I don't think it produces any increases in performance.
If you are going to game at 4k or above 1080p, I would recommend you going for an eight core chip any day over the 3600, trust me, you can utilize the additional cores very easily, if you have crome with a few tabs open, steam, epic, origin, discord, music streaming software in the background with your game, an eight core chip is most definitely the way to go, going forward games will be optimized to leverage the higher core counts as well. I have been preaching this for quite a while, got my Ryzen 1700 3 years back, and I cant seem to use my 2500k any longer. Eight core chip please, you will thank me later.

Last edited:
If you are going to game at 4k or above 1080p, I would recommend you going for an eight core chip any day over the 3600, trust me, you can utilize the additional cores very easily, if you have crome with a few tabs open, steam, epic, origin, discord, music streaming software in the background with your game, an eight core chip is most definitely the way to go, going forward games will be optimized to leverage the higher core counts as well. I have been preaching this for quite a while, got my Ryzen 1700 3 years back, and I can seem to use my 2500k any longer. Eight core chip please, you will thank me later.
Yeah I thought so myself. Considering I haven't been able to dispose of my 1080p monitor I may end up having to use a dual monitor set up.

Yeah I thought so myself. Considering I haven't been able to dispose of my 1080p monitor I may end up having to use a dual monitor set up.
Once you goto a dual monitor setup, you cant go back to using just one, but absolutely, please do yourself favour and get the 3700 or the 10700, the 3700 will gives you a bit more versatility, if you go with a B550 chipset, the Intel counterpart will net you 5-7% gains in games, negligible, if you ask me, but cant go wrong with either.

If you are going to game at 4k or above 1080p, I would recommend you going for an eight core chip any day over the 3600, trust me, you can utilize the additional cores very easily, if you have crome with a few tabs open, steam, epic, origin, discord, music streaming software in the background with your game, an eight core chip is most definitely the way to go, going forward games will be optimized to leverage the higher core counts as well. I have been preaching this for quite a while, got my Ryzen 1700 3 years back, and I cant seem to use my 2500k any longer. Eight core chip please, you will thank me later.
Ryzen 1700 pulls out same FPS may be 1 or 2 fps less than the recent CPU , invest that money on GPU monitor/tv with 4k that would be a better upgrade

Back