8800GTS HR03 Plus + Volcano Fan

farookh

Disciple
Just replaced my Gigabyte 8800GTS heatsink fan with a HR03 Plus with a 92mm Vantec Volcano fan load temps down from 80 to 58C

No Place for ne addon card in my case

Temps idle @ 48c

8800GTS OC to 700mhz core 1000mhz mem
3dmark06 1024x768 score 14450

no its stock it did 675mhz with the orig heatsink but temps were very high with the HR03+ it doesnt go above 60C full load

@farookh - how have you stuck on the ram sinks ? the sticky tape these come with are not very good. The ram sinks tended to fall off very easily - so I used Artic Silver Adhesive and stuck them permanenetly - there is no way this adhesive will ever break the bond :)

I think the Vantec Tornado must be making a lot of noise :O I use a 3100 RPM Vantec Thermoflow fan on the HR03 PLUS on my 8800GTS. I saw a temperature drop of 13C with this heat sink compared to the stock cooler. I ran the heat sink with a 120mm fan but I found no difference in temps over the 92mm Vantec Thermoflow.

I have a bad corrosion problem on the fins of the HR03 - it started after 2 months of use in Mumbai's hot and humid climate :(

yup...it can be installed both ways...sink and fan on the front side is better coz that way it can cool the memory chips as well(which gives better oc results)...and there is a difference of about 4-5C load temp. between both the setups. Sink on the back of the card is for those who would like to have a SLI setup or do not want to waste their PCI slot.

Vandal said:
Aing!!!

Thermalright's New Graphics Card Coolers | Tom's Hardware

Is this cooler installable both ways? Check the above link...

Which way is better? What's the thermal difference?

YUP - both ways mounting is possible. I found the piggy back mounting method to run the GPU warmer by about 2C in my setup (I think the final outcome will depend on air flow pattern in the case). But the "piggy back" setup releases 2 slots for cards :)

Both the mounting methods are shown in the installation sheet included in the package. Also shown here...

Thermalright HR03 Plus Installation

Back