Budget 0-20k A Cheap Laptop for download purpose only?

ithehappy

Adept
My electric bill is going sky high and I keep on my desktop for 24 hours just to download. So was thinking about getting a laptop for that purpose only. What should I get? I want to spend as low as possible. I just need WiFi, Bluetooth and USB 3.0, that's all. And it'd be great if it's light weight.

Your budget please. You can get the pogo systems, Asus Routers with torrent capability for all these. Guaranteed low power but you will miss USB 3, Bluetooth etc.,
Also if you need PC setup with USB 3.0 then you have to get atleast 22-25k worth laptop from ASUS,HP, Acer, Toshiba, Lenovo.

20K is okay. No I am not that much into torrent, it's a different download (can't say here), but I do download torrent sometimes.

You should be able to get a soc like solution similar to, r-pi or pogo plug. They consume very less power, run Linux and have a lot of good htpc capabilities. Use an external hard drive with it and you're done.

You can also try to get a 2nd hand netbook for your needs.

PS : I use rpi.

I am not familiar with the above terms, r-pi? Raspberry? Pogo plug? Those are good options, but don't them need a help of monitor too? I only have one, and not really interested in another. Also Linux isn't my thing.
Second hand netbook, where?

I am not familiar with the above terms, r-pi? Raspberry? Pogo plug? Those are good options, but don't them need a help of monitor too? I only have one, and not really interested in another. Also Linux isn't my thing.
Second hand netbook, where?
Yes, raspberry-pi and the likes. Monitor is not required, you can use VNC clients such as Tight VNC etc.. ( I do) and operate it entirely from your PC using the Linux GUI :D or using commandline :pompus: via SSH/TelNet.

Keep an eye out for a 2nd hand netbooks in the market section/ebay/olx etc. They are a better investment than a new Notebook.

Last edited:
Why you need a lappy? it will still consume more power. I've been using the Asus RT-N13U B1 - with dd-wrt firmware. Also it's avalaible for 1999 now a days and hooked it up ith a 500gb usb drive
Only thing, i've been using it mostly to download via to rrents, it's been running good

Downloading what - Torrents/Cyberlockers/Usenet/DC? For the first three, there are alternative, not for DC.

I am using a GoFlexHome along with my router. Worth every single rupee. And uses only 10W/hour vs my PC - 300W

or just buy a smartphone for 3-4k, cheapest and put in a 32gb card or 64gb , you are set, obviously the router with hdd support is a good option but if you are unfamiliar with the technology , smart phone is a easy and sure shot option, same as pc fire up torrent client and add your torrent,, as simple as that.

Why you need a lappy? it will still consume more power. I've been using the Asus RT-N13U B1 - with dd-wrt firmware. Also it's avalaible for 1999 now a days and hooked it up ith a 500gb usb drive
Only thing, i've been using it mostly to download via to rrents, it's been running good

Hey I am planning to get this. Which guide do I follow to set it up? I want to download torrents onto an external HDD, and stream that downloaded content to PS3 using DNLA. Is this possible?

Yeah, thanks, I just came to know about it yesterday! But only Torrents, don't know...
Downloading what - Torrents/Cyberlockers/Usenet/DC? For the first three, there are alternative, not for DC.

I am using a GoFlexHome along with my router. Worth every single rupee. And uses only 10W/hour vs my PC - 300W
What's DC bro? I mainly download stuffs via IDM, via hosts like Putlocker or Billionuploads. Now you see what I download. Downloading Torrent really isn't a problem, even my phone can do that.
Avoiding torrent is because of it's instability of speed. Too much dependency on those seeders/leechers.
i recently bought one and half year old dell mini for 7k
you search olx in your local area
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.
or just buy a smartphone for 3-4k, cheapest and put in a 32gb card or 64gb , you are set, obviously the router with hdd support is a good option but if you are unfamiliar with the technology , smart phone is a easy and sure shot option, same as pc fire up torrent client and add your torrent,, as simple as that.
Dude I use my S4 for downloading, very extensively. But the problem is I need IDM, that's the thing I'm looking for. There's no IDM for Android. I use Loader Droid currently, it's good, but nothing compared to IDM, especially when the links go kaput you won't be able to refresh and start downloading from there.
That Asus router is perfect for me. Just wish it could download everything but Torrents only :(

Why not use raspberry PI , it has a debian based OS - Raspbian. It'll consume ~ 10W off the wall socket and 15W more if u attach an external HDD, use deluge and access it remotely without a screen.
Downloading using a cellphone is pretty inefficient as it uses flash memory and takes it's toll on flash performance/life, phone H/W as well as on the battery life.
I'm planning to sell my Netbook too(ASUS 1000HE w/2GB - 160GB-hdd RAM WinXP-SP3(OG) and Win7-32bit which I think is a student copy from Dreamworks) as I don't get much time to use it. It's been sitting idle for the past 4 months at my place, the only time I used it in the past 1 year was when I was presenting my final year project on Raspberry Pi remotely(since then I've shifted all my downloading tasks to the Pi completely).

Back