FS: Storage Hardware A few NVME drives: 3x 1TB Silicon Power P34A80 & 4x Samsung 512GB PM981

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsaeon

Patron
Expected Price (Rs)
Shipping from
Hyderabad
Item Condition
4 out of 5
Payment Options
  1. Cash
  2. Bank Transfer
Purchase Date
May 22, 2021
Shipping Charges
Included in cost
Have you provided two pics?
  1. Yes
Remaining Warranty Period
4.5 Years
Invoice Available?
Yes
Reason for Sale
Downsizing
I have 7 m.2 2280 NVMe drives here that I can't find a use for, remnants from my now concluded Chia plotting adventure. Chia plotting was a controversial initiative because of how many writes are done to the drive to create a single plot file. I attempted to mitigate this by spreading out the writes across multiples drives to get both better speed and longer life. These 7 drives represent about one-third of the drives I used.

4 of these drives are Samsung 512GB PM981's, these are identical to the 970 Evo but without bill, warranty, and no specified TBW rating. The 512GB 970 Evo has a TBW rating of 600, and most people take that to be the TBW of the 512GB PM981. These were purchased from a refurbishing dealer back in March of this year.

3 of these PM981's have between 105TB to 153TB written them, and are priced at Rs 3375 each.

1 of the PM981's has 29TB written to it, and is priced at Rs 3775.

The other 3 NVMe drives are Silicon Power P34A80 1TB drives purchased from Amazon back in May, a few days apart. They have under 200TB written to them, and are rated for 800 TBW and have about 4.5 years of warranty left. I'll provide a printed invoice from Amazon for each of these drives.

The Silicon Power P34A80 1TB drives are priced at Rs 8875 each (25% off the current list price on Amazon).

Attachments

• nvme1.jpg
    nvme1.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 387
  • nvme2.jpg
    nvme2.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 385
  • 53p1.JPG
    53p1.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 348
  • 53p2.JPG
    53p2.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 332
  • spcc2.JPG
    spcc2.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 275
  • spcc1.JPG
    spcc1.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 291
  • 91p.JPG
    91p.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 64p.JPG
    64p.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 303
  • spcc3.JPG
    spcc3.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 272
  • invoice1.jpg
    invoice1.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 274
  • invoice2.jpg
    invoice2.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 245
  • invoice3.jpg
    invoice3.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
4th PM981 (29TB written) has been sold to @imran_chennai

payment received, tracking number shared

As per @soulweaver's question over PM, I checked and all of these Silicon Power 1TB's have Phison E12 controllers. Apparently there are versions of this drive with the less desirable Silicon Motion controller. This may explain the price drop on Amazon from when I purchased it at 14k, to the 12k that it is now. Once the cache is filled up, the Phison Controller drops to a little over 1000MB/s while the Silicon Motion controller drops to around 800MB/s.

Photo was taken on an ESD safe mat.

Attachments

• phison-e12.jpg
    phison-e12.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
I was under the impression Silicon Power didn't undergo any hardware change, but looks like it has sadly. Thanks to both of you for digging into this! Removing this from my 'safe to purchase' SSD list (not rsaeon's version, of course).

I was under the impression Silicon Power didn't undergo any hardware change, but looks like it has sadly. Thanks to both of you for digging into this! Removing this from my 'safe to purchase' SSD list (not rsaeon's version, of course).
I wanna buy M2 Ssd but no clue or have no idea and lifetime on SSD If I were to chose SSD from his list which one should I choose range is below 4k from his list.

I wanna buy M2 Ssd but no clue or have no idea and lifetime on SSD If I were to chose SSD from his list which one should I choose range is below 4k from his list.
It's best if you start a thread in the Buying Help subforum since this is not the appropriate thread for it and you'll get more relevant responses there. You can start with the attached though and then check the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...lj2HKcrfpJKHkOf-Oi1DbuuQva2gT4/htmlview#gid=0. Find something in your budget from the Consumer category if possible or Budget also has some decent drives.View attachment SSD_Buying_Guide.pdf

Edit: Oops. You wanted help selecting one from the sale items, my bad. Silicon Power is obviously the best if you can go for it or rsaeon will be able to help, I don't know much about the other drive listed -- it's the OEM version of Samsung 970 Evo (also mentioned in OP)

Edit 2: Oh the 29TB written one is gone, so you can go for the one with 100TB writes if interested. You don't have to worry about TBW (out of the 500 left), you won't come remotely close to it with normal usage. Btw, @rsaeon does 500gb 970 Evo come with 600tbw or 300tbw? Though it's not a cause for concern

Last edited:
It's best if you start a thread in the Buying Help subforum since this is not the appropriate thread for it and you'll get more relevant responses there. You can start with the attached though and then check the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...lj2HKcrfpJKHkOf-Oi1DbuuQva2gT4/htmlview#gid=0. Find something in your budget from the Consumer category if possible or Budget also has some decent drives.View attachment 116372

Edit: Oops. You wanted help selecting one from the sale items, my bad. Silicon Power is obviously the best if you can go for it or rsaeon will be able to help, I don't know much about the other drive listed -- it's the OEM version of Samsung 970 Evo (also mentioned in OP)

Edit 2: Oh the 29TB written one is gone, so you can go for the one with 100TB writes if interested. You don't have to worry about TBW (out of the 500 left), you won't come remotely close to it with normal usage. Btw, @rsaeon does 500gb 970 Evo come with 600tbw or 300tbw? Though it's not a cause for concern
Thanks a bunch on this I see that there are two SSD's with 100TB writes but there is a significant difference in the health of both of the disks. even though one disk is on for 7days only has the same amount of writes as another disk with more days still on why is that?

I have 7 m.2 2280 NVMe drives here that I can't find a use for, remnants from my now concluded Chia plotting adventure. Chia plotting was a controversial initiative because of how many writes are done to the drive to create a single plot file. I attempted to mitigate this by spreading out the writes across multiples drives to get both better speed and longer life. These 7 drives represent about one-third of the drives I used.

4 of these drives are Samsung 512GB PM981's, these are identical to the 970 Evo but without bill, warranty, and no specified TBW rating. The 512GB 970 Evo has a TBW rating of 600, and most people take that to be the TBW of the 512GB PM981. These were purchased from a refurbishing dealer back in March of this year.

3 of these PM981's have between 105TB to 153TB written them, and are priced at Rs 3375 each.

The other 3 NVMe drives are Silicon Power P34A80 1TB drives purchased from Amazon back in May, a few days apart. They have under 200TB written to them, and are rated for 800 TBW and have about 4.5 years of warranty left. I'll provide a printed invoice from Amazon for each of these drives.

The Silicon Power P34A80 1TB drives are priced at Rs 8875 each (25% off the current list price on Amazon).
Can you please let me know the pricing for the disk with 143.06TB writes?
I am a little confused about your prices.

Attachments

• spcc2.JPG
    spcc2.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 175
Btw, @rsaeon does 500gb 970 Evo come with 600tbw or 300tbw?

Thanks for the correction, it's 300 TBW.

Can you please let me know the pricing for the disk with 143.06TB writes?

The three remaining PM981 512GB drives are all priced the same, Rs 3375.

Thanks a bunch on this I see that there are two SSD's with 100TB writes but there is a significant difference in the health of both of the disks.

I purchased these drives used earlier this year, from a refurbishing dealer. These drives were originally released 4 years ago, and were used in business/corporate laptops that were leased out to different IT companies. When the lease expires, the laptops are returned to the leasing company which then liquidates them through a private auction to these refurbishing dealers. Those dealers then take out the most valuable parts of the laptops (in this case, 512GB NVMe ssd's) and sell them separately with a 30 day warranty from their side. The laptop itself is given a basic sata ssd or hdd and sold separately.

So these ssd's could have had very different lives, one could live in the VP's laptop bag, being turned on only when he wanted to play Minesweeper and the other could be a team lead's number cruncher machine.

When I got them, they all had 90%+ health left as reported by this utility.

even though one disk is on for 7days only has the same amount of writes as another disk with more days still on why is that?

The four PM981's are:
  1. 7 days power on time, 29 TBW (now sold)
  2. 154 days power on time, 104 TBW
  3. 170 days power on time, 154 TBW
  4. 248 days power on time, 151 TBW
I personally used the three remaining drives for 137 days, 24/7 in a server environment. Anything beyond that is the life of the drive before I had purchased it.

I had priced the PM981's on the (incorrect) understanding they were rated for 600TBW but @roofrider kindly corrected that, so I'm dropping the price on the remaining drives:

The 512GB PM981 with 104 TBW is now Rs 2575.

Last two PM981's 150+ TBW are now Rs 1975.

I had priced the PM981's on the (incorrect) understanding they were rated for 600TBW but @roofrider kindly corrected that, so I'm dropping the price on the remaining drives:

The 512GB PM981 with 104 TBW is now Rs 2575.

Last two PM981's 150+ TBW are now Rs 1975.
Can you please pm?

Ah damn. That wasn't my intention.
For those concerned about TBW, you've to write 40 GB to 55 GB per day for 10 years to hit the remaining 150 TBW and 200 TBW of those drives.
Pm me for the 150.xx drive, I can't PM you cuz of being a newb :D

PM for the 150.45 tb drive please

If you've received a message from me about how to make payment, please respond by 11pm Friday (today) otherwise I'll pass on the offer to the 10+ other members waiting.

I'm also dropping the price of the 1TB drives to Rs 7175 each because it looks like I have too much month at the end of my money.

All PM's have been sent/replied. Preference was given on a first come, first serve basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back