A Gift Parcel from France - Charged customs duty

technofast

Huh?
Adept
One of my friend from Paris sent me a parcel containing some boxes of chocolates and some perfumes a watch and some makeup kit. It was clearly mentioned as Gift and was sent through Colissimo/Chronopost which is equivalent to our speed post. The parcel weighing 6kgs was delivered today through speed post and was charged Rs 2860 as custom duty. I was surprised about the custom duty of 40% even though the goods are not of any significant value. It would have made sense to pay the custom duties if it is some electronic goods or some electronic spare parts. So now do we need to pay custom duties for anything that is not of significant value and marked as gift? and also I am not sure how they arrived at this value of 40%

One of my friend from Paris sent me a parcel containing some boxes of chocolates and some perfumes a watch and some makeup kit. It was clearly mentioned as Gift and was sent through Colissimo/Chronopost which is equivalent to our speed post. The parcel weighing 6kgs was delivered today through speed post and was charged Rs 2860 as custom duty. I was surprised about the custom duty of 40% even though the goods are not of any significant value. It would have made sense to pay the custom duties if it is some electronic goods or some electronic spare parts. So now do we need to pay custom duties for anything that is not of significant value and marked as gift? and also I am not sure how they arrived at this value of 40%
got saved lightly , keeping the recent valuations and policy chnages by customs
6 kg shipment , a big no no
watches
perfumes all big No No
you really got saved by 2860/ only

got saved lightly , keeping the recent valuations and policy chnages by customs
6 kg shipment , a big no no
watches
perfumes all big No No
you really got saved by 2860/ only

Thanks for the information. I had earlier bought some products from Ali express, Banggood but strangely did not attract custom duty. This package was valued as 100 euros and duty levied accordingly.

Back