CPU/Mobo A not too fancy motherboard for this config?

Hi guys,

My config is as follows:
1. CPU - AMD Phenom II 560 @ 3.3 GHz
2. RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4 GB @ 1600 MHz
3. PSU - CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 500W

I had a MSI 785 E65 motherboard to go with this config but it conked off recently. Need a motherboard which can replace it.

I have 2 specifications with regards to the motherboard:
1. It should have on-board graphics with DVI output.
2. I should be able to fit it with a gaming graphic card in the near future.
3. It should have the capability to unlock cores on the AMD Phenom II 560

Thanks in advance.

:)

Last edited:
Bingo. If you do not intend to use high-end graphic card then this might not be issue. But my HD6950 does gives nightmares. For your use I would suggest any 880G chipset mobo.

Since you want to unlock core , then i will recommend to buy a board with atleast 4 phase vrm for cpu
GA-78LMT-USB3
4 phase VRM? Sorry, a little bit out of touch with the hardware scene.

@vivek.krishnan @vyral_143
Thanks for the reply.
How about this one? http://www.flipkart.com/gigabyte-ga...+am3&ref=9ae668b7-aa4e-4591-a899-d55094af07e0
If you look at the pic it has 2 SATA ports near the RAM slots too, and I do not intend on using more than 2 HDDs anyway.

Thanks for the reply.
How about this one? http://www.flipkart.com/gigabyte-ga...+am3&ref=9ae668b7-aa4e-4591-a899-d55094af07e0
If you look at the pic it has 2 SATA ports near the RAM slots too, and I do not intend on using more than 2 HDDs anyway.

More the phase better will be the power delivery, also better ic (mosfet<lowrds(on)<powIR)used is better power delivery, to know phase count you can google "board name phase"

So more phase will be able to handle the elivated power requirement of extra core after unlocking or overclocking

If you want a 880g board and open to second hand then i have a gigabyte ga880gm-d2h (rev3.1) (with 16months warrenty) :)

Since the ports are near the PCIe slot, they might be a PITA to remove or attach or etc. I would suggest to steer clear of Gigabyte boards or for that matter, any boards where this problem could be apparent.

As for as phases, having more phases is better, but having too much is akin to having more megapixels - wont be of much use. Instead, look for digital VRMs, and ensure that the mobo can supply enough power for the CPU (think X6, overclocked!).

Layout of this SATA ports on this mobo is better, IMHO. 2 SATA ports near RAM slots are usable. Also 3 SATA ports at the end of the board should be usable too even in case of high end double slot cards.

However I would like to mention 1 more thing. After sales service of Gigabyte is from Accel. Atleast here in Mumbai & atleast for me it sucks. Tried giving my motherboard thrice for RMA but can not submit only due to one or other chaos at their end.

Thanks for the reply.

If 2 or 3 sata ports are needed then i got three when a 9.5" card is used , only 1 sata slot got covered by card
Here is a pic of sata clearence when a 9.5" card is used
( Hd6770 artificially extended to 9.5" :D )

Attachments

• IMG_uploas.jpg
    IMG_uploas.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
The new Haswell chips will about 10% faster versus the older Ivy Bridge ones. :facepalm:

I thought it was the previous thread I had replied to.

Anyways - apart from the IGP, better southbridge too. However, ensure you have a 7xx southbridge, the 8xx ones cannot unlock except for ASUS boards.

Last edited:
Back